Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I may do the red taillights soon on the orange part of my tails. Most of the spray I have seen looks good from far away but when you get close you can tell that it is spray, the surface didn't look as smooth and also not as reflective as the rest of the OEM Red part of tails... Pics?

Anyone know of any good spray that doesn't dull the shine of the tails and looks OEM? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It really depends on how carefully and precisely you paint your tails. I did my tails with FoliaTec paint and it came out beautifully. Mind you, I did about 4 coats and the 2 coats of clear. I'm very pleased with the results and even if you look at the tails up close, you can't really tell they were painted...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been chatting with Darith and he did his from the inside. Like...he painted(with the testors candy apple red) behind the orange on the inner part of the tails so it doesn't dull the shine on the outside or ever wear off. I'm gonna do it...Here is a pic of his.

Attachments

·
Junior Mint
633 Posts
That looks very nice. How much work is involved with that? I assume that you have to open up the taillight assembly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Careful when spraying from inside

Do it really slowly if you do it from the inside of the taillight assembly. It will tend to drip leak into the lower portion of the taillights. I had some difficulty reaching the far ends of the taillights when doing it from the inside as well. Just my experience.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
not a big fan of it

dwhelan said:
I've been chatting with Darith and he did his from the inside. Like...he painted(with the testors candy apple red) behind the orange on the inner part of the tails so it doesn't dull the shine on the outside or ever wear off. I'm gonna do it...Here is a pic of his.
not a big fan of changing taillights (you're more liable to messin up than making a good finished product), but let me tell you, that looks NICE!

·
Junior Mint
633 Posts
So did you guys actually have to open up the taillight assembly, as in prying it open, and resealing with silicone?

SLACK3RZ, where in Arcadia are you?

·
LEGEND
909 Posts
i did mine with a few coats of the testor's paint, and then waxed afterwards, looks great :) shines too, i was thinkin of doin it from the inside but i figured i wouldn't get a nice even spray without opening up the tails...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finished mine today

Really wasn't complicated at all. Here are some pics.

I'll get some more pics tomorrow of them on my legend. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Response to EK

E K said:
So did you guys actually have to open up the taillight assembly, as in prying it open, and resealing with silicone?

SLACK3RZ, where in Arcadia are you?
I live near the mall on colorado and baldwin... tons of peacocks area. Right now i'm at school in Norcal. Man i miss home. Nice sunny southern california. It's raining up here with potholes eeeeverywhere. sux.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Let's not forget about the coupe....I forgot who's coupe this was but he mentioned he used paint that could be peeled off if you didn't like the outcome.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Well if you paint over all the amber/red there probablly wouldnt be a difference:D

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
AiznPride

i believe that's AiznPride's old coupe.

He sold it though.

-Jose

1 - 20 of 22 Posts