Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 93 Lexus SC300 auto. I am wondering who would win. On paper it's close:
93 Legend Coupe (auto): 230hp, 7.5 0-60
93 Lexus SC300 (auto) : 225hp, 7.6 0-60

The Lexus is rwd, will that give it enough to beat me?
What do you guys think?

Also, what do you guys think of "LO-JACK" tracking system for new cars. My mom bought a BMW 330xi, and I don't know whether the LO-JACK is worth it. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Joel

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
That's always been a race that I wanted. I could never find another SC owner to race with. They're all pretty boys :rolleyes:

I think the SC300 would win by a hair. I've never driven the SC300, only the SC400. and there's no comparison on those 2 cars.:(

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'd go with the Legend for obvious reasons

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Turn off TCS before you take off. That's VERY important :)
How much did that lo-jack cost your mom? Purchased, and installed etc..

G

·
Also make sure that you hold the brake down with the accelerator all the way down right before you take off. It's fine for your car and it will only go up to about 3000RPM's because there is a limiter, then when you take off just let go of the brake. You'll get a much better holeshot. Legend power!!! The SC400 is one of the few cars that I have thought of trading my legend in for... Do they make them in manuals?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have TCS. It's a 93. I've found that 'power-breaking' makes for slower starts, any other suggestions for good starts?

the LO-JACK is $595.00 for the basic system. The 330xi is on special order because of all the options she wants, so I need to know whether the LO-JACK is worth it pretty soon. One option my Mom got was Navigation. Nav is satellite linked right? so then would LO-JACK be necessary? let me know?

-Joel

G

·
You must be doing something wrong then cause as long as you have good tires that aren't going to spin out on a good track or good road, that are warm. It will definitely lower your time.

As soon as KennyG told me about it out at SIR my ET started dropping from like 15.7 to 15.5. That was back when my car was completely stock.

·
Registered
734 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Also make sure that you hold the brake down with the accelerator all the way down right before you take off. It's fine for your car and it will only go up to about 3000RPM's because there is a limiter, then when you take off just let go of the brake. You'll get a much better holeshot. Legend power!!! The SC400 is one of the few cars that I have thought of trading my legend in for... Do they make them in manuals?
Yes they do.....I had the pleasure of riding in a charcoal grey one about 6 months ago...It was SWEET.

·
Registered
120 Posts
whiplash9001 said:

Yes they do.....I had the pleasure of riding in a charcoal grey one about 6 months ago...It was SWEET.
Are you sure it wasn't a 5-speed sc 300? I didn't think the 400 had a manual option.:confused:

G

·
my boy had an sc 400 Cherry red... Just imagine all the things that are in acuralegend.com's LS (Interior) and they were in his SC Coupe... But he was ridin' Chrome Lorenharts LD1 20's...

He recently sold it for about 30K.... :eek:

·
Registered
299 Posts
luvmylegend said:
That's always been a race that I wanted. I could never find another SC owner to race with. They're all pretty boys :rolleyes:

I think the SC300 would win by a hair. I've never driven the SC300, only the SC400. and there's no comparison on those 2 cars.:(
SC300 by a hair??? No way man, a type II even in automatic would beat that. The type II-equipped Legend was aimed squarely at the SC 400, and a coupe equipped with this engine and a 6-speed has performance numbers equalling that of the SC 400 of that year because Lexus didn't make a manual for the SC 400. You are going to lose time because you have an auto, but you will still beat his ass handily. I guarentee it.

My friend's Mom has a 93 SC 400 and it was tight off the light but didn't have the rush the Type II has at higher RPM's. I would put my car (6-speed, Type II coupe) against her's any day.

And speeddemon, saying you would trade your Legend for an SC??? <slaps you around> Get a hold of yourself man! SC's are for pimps, Legends are for drivers. Ok, and pimps too.

If you don't believe me, I got numbers from a 1993 Car and Driver Comparo.

0-60: Legend-6.7, SC400-6.9
1/4 Mile: [email protected], [email protected]
Top Speed: Legend-143, SC400-144

I also read another article that had the Legend doing 0-60 in 6.3 without TCS with a top speed of 146, perhaps the above Legend is an auto and this one is a six-speed? Either way it's clear that the SC 300 is no match for the Type II legend.

Later,

J520

·
Registered
99 Posts
i'd get lo-jack if you live in an area that has good coverage. I have it in my car, but now that im in upstate ny, its no good. out in cali, it was the only 'theft deterent' system that would get me an insurance discount. plus, in SF and LA, they have the equipment on the costie ships and on bouyies in the harbors to catch crated cars headin' for asia. its a good system if there's coverage. mine was 605 installed at a dealer in san jose.

·
Registered
734 Posts
KenS said:

Are you sure it wasn't a 5-speed sc 300? I didn't think the 400 had a manual option.:confused:
You could be right Ken, after doing some checking his car was a 300. I just know it couldn't out run my baby.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think they stopped making 5spd in 93

I think it has same engine as supra, so 5pd is probabaly same perf. as non-turbo supra, or supra might be geared for sport, instead of lux.

·
Registered
702 Posts
First off, I would win!!!! =) Any race!!!

now, about lojack...lojack is cool because they guarantee to find your car within a certain period of time...THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH LOJACK besides coverage area is that they will not start tracking your car until after you report it stolen. The problem with that is say you went to work for 8 hours and it was stolen in the morning and you didn't find out till you got off work or if your car was stolen at night, the thieves if they are smart would have the car in a warehouse completely stripped by the time you realize and report it as stolen, so lojack would be too late to get your car back...

i am thinking about getting the security system (in addition to buying the auto taser to shock the sh*t out of car thieves) where if anything happens to your car, you would get a page on your transmitter that would show a picture of which window has been broken or what caused alarm to go off...and since i'm 21 now, i can get a concealed weapon permit so if i see that my window's been broken or something like that in the middle of the night, you bet i'm gonna be running out there to really f*ck up somebody.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
i woudnt say the SC300 has the supra engine but it is more like it than not. They are very nice cars and no there was no manual option for the 400s just the 300s. I had a 4-door legend wrecked it then i was really really close to gettng a SC300 but the legend coups look sooo much better and will out run them so another leged it was :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
The supra does have the same motor as the GS and SC 300's

TOYOTA |2997 |2JZGE |V6 | 8/91-8/98 |Supra (NA), Lexus Sc-300 & Gs-300

the list is: make, cc's. motor code, format, years, models

1 - 20 of 23 Posts