Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to the gym today and I scraped the curb when I parked....ripped the bumper cover off the front end of my Coupe!!!!! well....no damage to bumper except that all the places where the screws go in place...the plastic hole areas have been ripped through....so If I screw the screws back in, it will still pop out.......I'm just wondering if this is fixable....is it worth the time to fix it? or should I get a new bumper, b/c I know the dont make many aftermarket front bumpers for the G2 coupe......And if I fix the current bumper....will it make it tough to add on lip spoilers later on? Some jerk who had the car before me took such good care of some areas of the car, but in some areas was a moron. Appearantly he had done the same thing I just did, and had some cheap body shop NOT repair the screw holes but instead use a polymer bond....WELL this was an accident or should I say TRAGEDY waiting to happen as the polymer bond breaks easy when dry......Oh and another thing., when I was doing the whole Leon-inspired-CAI-thing...I tore off the front part of the wheel well liner in the passenger well and i cant find where I put the front section at....do they sell just this piece? man o man I have the wierdest luck with cars......

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
You have to buy a whole new wheel-well liner from Acura. $80 and worth every penny. Makes the car look new.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I did exactlyt the same thing to my 91 Sedan - the bumper came off and those screw holes were ripped off. The ONLY fix was to get a new bumper - I have a friend who has a body shop, so he did it for me. But nevertheless a waste of money due to my fault!

So, I learnt a lesson, never park close to curb. Guess what last week I parked again close to the curb and when I was backing out, I felt a tug - i stopped right there and went out to see - The bumper was caught on the curb and ready to be ripped off - I moved the car a couple of inches and pushed the bumper (the lip liner) up and then backed out carefully!

My wheel well liners are worn out and look ugly!! I think I'm going to get newones - and yes they make the car look new!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Heh heh, I feel your pain. I did the same thing to my coupe two years ago. I try not to park too close to curbs, but I almost did it again today. I scraped the lip pretty hard. When I tore my bumper off I had to replace the whole thing (unfortunately it did not last too long due to another mistake of mine :( ). The dealer and a local body shop both said that it was not worth trying to fix the little screw holes. I am thinking about trying to do the CAI thing. I want to see one in person before I try it though.
Good luck with the bumper....

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
DrDre1443 said:
Well I went to the gym today and I scraped the curb when I parked....ripped the bumper cover off the front end of my Coupe!!!!! well....no damage to bumper except that all the places where the screws go in place...the plastic hole areas have been ripped through....so If I screw the screws back in, it will still pop out.......I'm just wondering if this is fixable....is it worth the time to fix it? or should I get a new bumper, b/c I know the dont make many aftermarket front bumpers for the G2 coupe......And if I fix the current bumper....will it make it tough to add on lip spoilers later on? Some jerk who had the car before me took such good care of some areas of the car, but in some areas was a moron. Appearantly he had done the same thing I just did, and had some cheap body shop NOT repair the screw holes but instead use a polymer bond....WELL this was an accident or should I say TRAGEDY waiting to happen as the polymer bond breaks easy when dry......Oh and another thing., when I was doing the whole Leon-inspired-CAI-thing...I tore off the front part of the wheel well liner in the passenger well and i cant find where I put the front section at....do they sell just this piece? man o man I have the wierdest luck with cars......
I think almost every Legend owner here has done the same thing, I know I did. But it wasn't so bad, it didn't rip off completely, so I just had the body shop remount the thing.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
yeah i think just about all us Legend owners done that. i know i did last summer.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I seem to join this club about once a month. You think you are just far enough but BAAAM, you are right on it. It's even worst when you park, it doesn't seem to make any noise at all,,, UNTIL YOU BACK UP! :mad:

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
I don't understand why people get so close to the curb anyways. It's not like your going to block traffic or something if you leave the front-end a foot away from it. Who cares! The worst is when I see Civic hatchbacks slam their front-ends into curbs when their freakin cars are only 10 feet long anyways! Morons! You could fit a civic and a half in most spots ;)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Usually, the cover is not completely torn off the beam. You could then re-install using fender washers and longer bolts. The reason this happens is that the bottom edge of the cover hangs lower than the engine splash shields. All you have to do is install longer bolts with fender washers and position the engine splash shields over (not under) the edge of the bumper cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.