Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol i went to autozone and bought a valve cover gasket and they gave me 2 thick rubber things with 2 other peices of rubber that streched, i bought a valpro for $22.99 was this the right peice to help my oil from stop leaking? and the blue white smoke? anyone ever exp this?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
valve cover gasket is thick rubber.. however your blue smoke is coming from bad valve seals. internal engine work is needed.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,298 Posts
Yup they are rubber. I'm about to replace my valve seal pretty soon. I hate looking at blue smoke.

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
valve cover gasket is thick rubber.. however your blue smoke is coming from bad valve seals. internal engine work is needed.
If the smoke is coming from your exhaust pipe, the leak isn't from your valve cover gaskets and is most likely internal as dasficktauf said.

The two thick rubber gaskets are for the valve cover and the thinner stretchy one is for the side cover gaskets. You'll need high-temp silicone gasket maker to seat the side cover gaskets and hold it in place while you replace the side covers.

·
Registered
444 Posts
is there an easy way to do the side covers? those 8 bolts don't seem easy to get to without removing the radiator or taking out the engine.

i was messing with one today at the junkyard and honestly, it's not impossible to reach but removing them tested my patience. i'd hate to have to put them back on.

·
1,973 Posts
is there an easy way to do the side covers? those 8 bolts don't seem easy to get to without removing the radiator or taking out the engine.

i was messing with one today at the junkyard and honestly, it's not impossible to reach but removing them tested my patience. i'd hate to have to put them back on.
I don't think there is an easy way but using a standard 10mm socket wrench worked fine for me. Actually I think it was a 3/4" drive w/ a 3/4"-1/4" adapter connected to a 1/4"-10mm bit which gave it just enough of an extension to do it without too much trouble. Once you loosed em up you can just back out the bolts w/ your fingers.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my blue/white smoke comes from under my hood... although im not sure about the valve seals how much does that cost to fix? and if i replace the valve cover gasket then what benefit do i get from it? what does it help, anyone?

·
1,973 Posts
and if i replace the valve cover gasket then what benefit do i get from it? what does it help, anyone?
Replacing the side/valve cover gaskets prevents those covers from seeping oil. As oil seeps out, it drains down on to the hot exhaust piping and creates the smoke you see (if that is indeed the problem you're experiencing). You can easily tell if your valve covers are leaking by simply visually inspecting them to look for grease/oil around the spark plug holes.

I would start by cleaning off your engine bay. Warm up the engine, spray some degreaser around your engine, and scrub the old grease off with a toothbrush/old paint brush. Hopefully the smoking will subside and when it does return, you can see exactly where the oil is coming from.

·
Legend driver
198 Posts
In my experience and observation (on this site), massive oil leaks on G1 Legends often involve the seals on the oil cooler. There is a figure 8 gasket and an O ring on the oil cooler, and these are likely candidates when there is oil leaking down onto the exhaust pipe, which causes the nasty smell and the smoke from under the hood. If you replace the valve cover gaskets (top and sides) and still have the leak, you might find that the oil cooler seals are the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
my blue/white smoke comes from under my hood... although im not sure about the valve seals how much does that cost to fix?
Big task to tackle... intake/exhaust valve seals are inside of the cylinder heads, hence the removal of the engine top end and costly. Although its the proper way of addressing valve lifter tick issue, blue smoke from the exhaust pipe and oil consumption.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tips?

I am going to replace the valve cover gasket this weekend top/side and if you have any tips or dont dos pleas let me know. One question, do you need to use rtv high temp on the sides and top or just the sides?

·
1,973 Posts
I am going to replace the valve cover gasket this weekend top/side and if you have any tips or dont dos pleas let me know. One question, do you need to use rtv high temp on the sides and top or just the sides?
Don't over-torque! Those aluminum valve cover bolts are quite delicate and the specs only call for 10 ft-lbs. Otherwise it's a pretty easy job... I only used the rtv high temp stuff on the sides just to hold the gasket in... The top covers don't really need it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.