1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,

Sorry for the numerous posts?

Do any of have the same problem I do?

I notice the doors are misaligned. I heard it's a common problem with our cars? Has anyone gotten this fixed? is it relatively easy?

Thanks again

g2girl

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
hey g2girl...

I remember reading about someone saying their doors were misaligned, but it had to do with the striker needing adjustment, if I remember correctly. I do not *think* its a common problem...but I could be mistaken. What are the symptoms?
Maybe a search will find it for you. Hope it helps (BTW - Post away...you need to catch up to me anyway :p)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Need more specific info. When you say "misaligned" are you speaking about the spacing between the fender-door, the door-quarter, or that the outer surfaces of the outer door skin and fender or quarter panels are low or high? Or the fact that the door line is lower than that of the quarter?

If the spacing between the door-fender or door-quarter are unequal, it could be the result of past collision. If the line of the door doesn't align with the quarter (ex. the door line is lower where it butts the quarter) than the problem could be worn hinge bushings. Look at the door striker post. Do you see a worn spot? Close the door so that it just makes contact with the striker bolt. Then gently push it closed. While you do this look at the lines of the door and quarter panel. Does the door appear to "jump" as it is pushed onto the bolt? This could also indicate a worn hinge bushing. The other method is to open the door and grasping it on the handle edge side, gently lift the door up. You will feel the "play" in the hinge if the bushing is worn.

You could also have a bent hinge if someone has hung onto the end of the open door. This is a more remote possibility as you would probably notice the door binding as it closed.

I know that you can buy bushing kits for Nissan, but I have never bought one for Acura. The Legend repair would be no fun at all due to having to remove the door in order to replace the hinges or install new bushings.

All the aforementioned info assumes that the door lock assy is positioned correctly in the door and is not loose. Also, that the striker bolt is not loose and has shifted over time.

The misaligned door is not a common problem. From the Mfgr the lines are dead o.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I had that problem on my 91 sedan... sagging on the driver side door. If you look at the hinges, there are screws there that that hold the door on. They were loose for me..... you could almost hand tighten them. I think its screws or a 10mm wrench that can tighten these bolts/screws. It is easier if you can find a friend to help hold the door in place. ITs a trial and error thing that worked to fix my door.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

My hinges are fine and the door closes fine...no wind noise...the only thing I was concerned about was that when I close the door, the shiny border around windows around the door and rear quarter glass is off my one centimeter on each side...

my car has never been in an accident and I had this double checked at a body shop and frame shop...

do any of you guys have this same misfortune?

Thanks a bunch

g2girl

·
Registered
143 Posts
trim

yea- mine shows it on the trim stripe that runs along the length of the car... it's off by abt 1/2cm.. perhaps it's bc the doors have so much mass that they just droop over time?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts