Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was walking around my car to look at damage to the car.. well if there was any .. i noticed this weird rubbing mark.. looked like scratches.. but they were not scratches.. maybe the clear coat got scratched off or something.. but it was smoooth.. reminded me of like fine fine sandpaper scratches.. but i am not too sure.

does anyone know of a rubbing/buffer compound that is good for that kinda damage?

·
SGM / Type F
3,649 Posts
mktng can you put up some pics of these scratches? The detail gurus migt have some suggestions if they can see what the damage is...

·
Rebuilding :(
4,614 Posts
buy the most expensive one you can find. that always works the best
so does putting your thumb up your ass and whistling dixie. The most expensive thing in detailing is not always the best, especially when most products give similarly awesome results (its just the ease of use of those products that some value.)

To see if it will come out go down to walmart or your autopart store and pick up either Meguiars Scratch X, Kits Scratch Out, Nu Finish Scratch Doctor or any other swirl/scratch remover they have. Then get an applicator pad or microfiber clothe and try to polish it out. With using Scratch X you have to work it in till it brakes down to an oil (where its no longer white) and then wipe it off.

·
SGM / Type F
3,649 Posts
so does putting your thumb up your ass and whistling dixie. The most expensive thing in detailing is not always the best, especially when most products give similarly awesome results (its just the ease of use of those products that some value.)

To see if it will come out go down to walmart or your autopart store and pick up either Meguiars Scratch X, Kits Scratch Out, Nu Finish Scratch Doctor or any other swirl/scratch remover they have. Then get an applicator pad or microfiber clothe and try to polish it out. With using Scratch X you have to work it in till it brakes down to an oil (where its no longer white) and then wipe it off.
Joey, do you mean work it in with the applicator pad (by hand) basically till no more residue is visible? I always thought one would need a buffer/polisher to get scratches out?

·
4,614 Posts
Joey, do you mean work it in with the applicator pad (by hand) basically till no more residue is visible? I always thought one would need a buffer/polisher to get scratches out?
EDit: I forgot to mention, when using scratch x, when you work it by hand, it needs time to break down. For applying you can use a foam applicator pad or a microfiber applicator without any problems. But you need to watch the polish. The film it produces while working with it remains white and as it breaks down it becomes almost clear and looks like a clear oily filmy (which is pretty much the oil used to lubricate the polishing agents.)

Scratch X can remove a good amount of swirls. You can get a good amount of stuff out by hand, but it requires alot of work, and there is still more that needs to be removed. But you can improve the appearance. On the left is an area done by hand with vigorous application of scratchx compared to the right with nothing.

·
SGM / Type F
3,649 Posts
^^ That's pretty impressive Daniel-san!! ^^ I had no idea you could do that much manually! Learnt something new.

·
4,614 Posts
^^ That's pretty impressive Daniel-san!! ^^ I had no idea you could do that much manually! Learnt something new.
As you can see around the area of the flash, not all imperfections have been removed, but with each successive application it will get noticeably better. I wouldnt recommend doing this by hand on say the hood or trunk because your arm would fall off, but on the side panels, it will definitely increase the look. And then if you follow up with a good wax, it may hide some of those scratches for a little while.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea so what happened is i think my friend took fine sand paper to try and get that rust proofing stuff off my trunk. ( i think ) no ones admitting to it >.<

here the pics (sorry for the horrible quality) but i am sure you all will get my point :p

·
4,614 Posts
heres what you do, go to walmart and pick up a 3m scratch kit. It comes with 2 buffing pads and 2 types of polishes. It also comes with a backing plate for a drill. There are directions on the package, so just follow them and it should make that area look better. What you may want to do before hadn though is get some ultra fine sand paper, like 2000 grit or so and wet sand in one direction (horizontal or vertical) then do the polish. It should come out and look good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.