Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will an after market 4" front speaker sound good in the Bose/LS Coupe door enclosure?

Will an aftermarket 4" speaker fit properly in the front door of a 90LS Coupe w/ Bose? Will the bose enclosure have any affect on a non bose speaker? Or is it bettre to remove the entire enclosure and just get a shallow mount 6.5" speaker adapter from an L? Are there any huge advantages of using 6.5's over the 4"?

· Registered
2,973 Posts
jeighty3 said:
Will an aftermarket 4" speaker fit properly in the front door of a 90LS Coupe w/ Bose? Will the bose enclosure have any affect on a non bose speaker? Or is it bettre to remove the entire enclosure and just get a shallow mount 6.5" speaker adapter from an L? Are there any huge advantages of using 6.5's over the 4"?
Why not fix the Bose speakers. I recommend it as I've done it in 2 LS coupes !

· Registered
438 Posts
ND1980LS said:
Why not fix the Bose speakers. I recommend it as I've done it in 2 LS coupes !
Generally the larger the speaker the more capable of reproducing bass. Therefore a lager speaker will usually sound better than a smaller speaker. Then again there is a huge difference between makes of speakers, so if the brand you like doesn't make a 6.5" then go for the 4", but I would reccomend a 6.5" if you can....

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i really do not wish to use the bose as I can get aftermarket speakers at a substantial discount. I will consider selling the bose stuff.

My main concern was whether or not a 4" speaker would fit into the bose enclosure properly, and if it would sound good.

· Registered
2,038 Posts
well all i needed for my system was a pioneer premier and two more 6x9's.
people swear up and down i have 10's or 12's.

imo the front bose speakers sounds like ford 6x8 jbl's when it comes to bass response and thats a damn shame....nd1980ls, got me hooked on em'..lol.

keep the enclosures the bass is basically supposed to come from the back...

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
Yes I believe the enclosures were designed with sound projection in mind....

Also the rule of thumb goes that you can reliably get way more watts to a 6.5" speaker than a 4" one...no matter who makes it...I'd go with the 6.5" if i were you...My 87 sedan only fits 5.25" at the largest up front so my bass response definitely leaves much to be desired...well I guess components will have to come down the pipe in the future :D

· Registered
234 Posts
I'm with ND1980LS, why would you want to scrap your bose system??? I wish my legend came stock with a bose system, then i would not of had to change the cheap stock pioneer unit. I have never had bose speakers in my car but i have had many bose speaker systems in my house all my life one thing i learned is even though they are small they sound big.

· Registered
2,038 Posts
ehhh i was'nt a fan of bose.
it seemed like all they were good for were high's and mids.
i'ma bass guy, don't like a lot of treble.

but once i switch the h/u to pioneer i was amazed how these old ass spaeker and amps could sound so good.

· Registered
2,973 Posts
2.7legend said:
ehhh i was'nt a fan of bose.
it seemed like all they were good for were high's and mids.
i'ma bass guy, don't like a lot of treble.

but once i switch the h/u to pioneer i was amazed how these old ass spaeker and amps could sound so good.
On the '89LS that I just restored.....the previous owner had put in a Kenwood H/U. He hadn't replaced the speakers; all he did was bypass the amps by cutting the speaker lines to them...then connected the wires directly and using the H/U as the amp. The speakers sounded great...but as I wanted the stock look....I had the speakers and wiring repaired......and they still sound great ! Believe me...I play my share of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Halen... and the sound is fantastic !!!!!!!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, im really not a huge fan of bose cardboard/paper speakers. But whatever floats your boat I guess. I know that a 6.5" speaker would probably be ideal up front, but to keep it simple I will just use the stock 4" size. Probably will throw some cheap rockford fosgate 4"'s up front and 6x9's in the back. hopefully it will turn out well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.