Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I could put a 80w bulb in my headlights. I know that the headlight wiring harness can't hold much more than 70w, but just courious if anyone else has an 80w bulb without getting a new wiring harness. And if I do need a new wiring harness, where can I get one, how much should I expect to pay, and is it easy to put in?

Thankx for you input

G

·
Yes I did, until yesterday!
I bought OptiBlue highs and lows from Autodynamic.com.
Two weeks ago everything was going great, no problems( I tell I love those blue bulbs cuz if my Legend is parked during hte day and you approach it at a certain angle, you can see a blue type reflection, which I thought was sexy and intiminating to others)
aaagggggg, oh but anyways
One of my lows blew, I couldn't believe it, I've had these bulbs since December. After that night I got back on the forum and thats when I learned that 80w are an absolutely nono, so in my opinion I took the highs out, replaced them with Phillips BlueVsion,
left the one low in and replaced it with a cheap brand until I get the PIAA Plasma's.
ok thats enough
seeya

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Why take a chance on melting the OEM wire harnesses which are probably a couple of hundred each or $30 ea if you want to take the time to remove used at the recycler. A repair to a headlamp harness is not recommended. Replacement is. If you want to use an 80 watt application, just buy the aux. harness which is less than $50.

All of my vehicles use high-wattage systems. The Legend has had an 80 watt system for over 4 yrs. The oldest system I have (9004) is an 80/100 watt one which has been in use for almost 9 yrs. Premature bulb burnout has not been an issue. Have never replaced a relay.

I do, however, recommend that if you use a high-wattage system that you always have an extra bulb, relay and diode pack on board. You never know when you may need replacement parts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My high beams are 80w and I haven't had any problems yet(it's been a little over two years). Then again I don't use my high beams all that much and when I do I try not to leave them on for a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts