Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Five- O
857 Posts
Yup I have that same problem now- It only used to happen at higher speeds - 90+, but now I hear it at 70. I'm thinking about ajusting the door hanger (not sure of it true name) on the door sill - so that the door sits slightly higher when closed.

Any other sugguestion would help

Esti

·
Registered
217 Posts
yes, help us plz

·
Registered
347 Posts
where is the noise coming from?

Hey all
I had this problem and have fixed it (I hope). I had a whistling wind noise over 80 ks/hr which came from the front lower area of the windows, where the rearview mirror assembly meets the weatherstrip.
The problem for me was that the mounting screws for the rear vision mirror assembly had loosened and the whole assembly had slipped. This didn't put the whole glass out of whack but meant that the sealing area along the mount no longer mated with the weatherstrip on the door.

It had also started to crush the weatherseal. First I tried packing the weatherstrip out (it is hollow and you can put thin rubber tubes inside it which pad it out). This worked for a while, but eventually the weatherstrip compresses/gets out of shape and the noise returns - worse than before.

The fix unfortunately involves removing the entire door panel to allow access to the three? large screws holding the mirror on. Once you have the door panel off you can loosen these screws and re-align the mirror assembly. Its important to play around and get the straightest possible fit as just 'pulling the mirror assembly up' may not result in a flush fit and will further compress the weatherstrip.

Its not immediate either - I got it as good as I could, testing it as I went with the door panel off, and gave up when the noise was minimal. After a few days, however the noise was completely gone and I think this is because the weatherstrip 'relaxed' again and made a tight seal.

Honda Dealer quote to fix this noise ran into the hundreds (after being given the usual 'looks' for even wanting to repair or get this 12 year old car up to spec)- they suggested replacing the weatherstip. They mentioned nothing about the possibility of the wingmirror alignment being off. bastards, hate them to a man (JK).

hope this helps, good luck!

Richard

·
Registered
347 Posts
also try silicone protectant

forgot to mention,
a good dose of silicone protectant / lube will help the weatherstrip to expand and fill gaps - I slathered it on and left the door open for a few hours, then reapplied.
be careful with stuff like armour-all as It can actually cause soft rubber to contract.

rich

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have this same problem. I have not gone about it technically yet, ie, trying to fix the actual problem.

All I do is when it starts to whistle, usually around 80-90 mph, I crack the sunroof barely, which creates air flow through the car, which stops the noise. The noise from the sunroof being open is more bearable than the whistle, which is fine with me..for now..

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts