Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have recently been having problems starting my car and i have a high amp altenator and yellow top battery. The interstate truck guy said the yellow top is mainly for secondary backup battery and for starting and regular use i should use a red top. Thing is i already spent money on my yellow top few months ago. Do you think its worth wiring both batterys up? I looked with a little work you could put both batterys parellel next to each other in the battery tray. Then i would have enough power to run my stereo system finally. Other choice would to have maybe the red top under the hood and the yellow top in the trunk but i dont feel like wiring it all up. If they both sit under the hood next to each other i just have to run a wire from positive to positive and then ground to chassy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
dude no offense to the guy who told you that but fuck his advice man, you can run the yellow top solo no secondary bull shit, i have installed a lot of systems and any time some one asks me about what battery to run in there car i usually always say yellow top depending on the circumstances. but I'm just one man thou alot of people i associate with agree with me. its your call on what you wanna do but i say throw it in there by its self and enjoy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dude no offense to the guy who told you that but fuck his advice man, you can run the yellow top solo no secondary bull shit, i have installed a lot of systems and any time some one asks me about what battery to run in there car i usually always say yellow top depending on the circumstances. but I'm just one man thou alot of people i associate with agree with me. its your call on what you wanna do but i say throw it in there by its self and enjoy.
Why would you think occasionally my car doesnt have enough amperage to start though. When it has this problem i have full light to dash and headlights can turn on as well as if its got plenty of voltage. Once i jump start the car it runs fine for awile. The battery is new and its got a new high amp altenator. I tested for parasitic draw too and found nothing unusual

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
Hows the ground wires under the hood? Sometimes the ground plays an important roll.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hows the ground wires under the hood? Sometimes the ground plays an important roll.
Its pretty good. I have a 2 guage wire which is overkill from the battery strait to the frame.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
Really?? Hmm, something doesn't sound right. You bought the battery brand new correct? Have you tested the voltage on the alternator? Sometimes the high voltage alternator don't last that long. Also do yo have your amp bridged? Sorry for asking too much questions lol.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really?? Hmm, something doesn't sound right. You bought the battery brand new correct? Have you tested the voltage on the alternator? Sometimes the high voltage alternator don't last that long. Also do yo have your amp bridged? Sorry for asking too much questions lol.
What is bridge? I know a bit about cars but not about stereo. best buy did the install for me. Actualy now that i tihnk about it i started having more problems after they installed my new deck. The power on the dash goes outsomtimes in the morning when i start it. The deck and eq dont light up or work. And after driving awile for about 5 minutes they light up and work again. Its as if they dont have power enough to run but my car does. Also ive noticed when i try to turn my ac on when the radio is not working it dosnt work either. But when the radio works so does the ac.

Its very strange. I check system charging voltage with the engine at idle. And its above 13v but when i turn the system on ac on defroster an dheadlights at full load. It slowly starts to creep down. But every altenator I had did this. My original one did and then i went to a rebuilt. And then went with another rebuilt through napa auto parts which is a decent parts house. And still does it. Its as if the pulley is not turning fast enough. They need to change the size or something. Once i press on the gas and rev it a bit the voltage jumps back up to where its supose to be. I think after awile it starts to tap into the battery.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You may have something draining the voltage from your battery. I'd recheck the way the stereo is wired in. I have an Optima yellow top in my NSX and if I don't start/drive the car for a week - the battery has drained down somehow. I have an aftermarket amp/stereo which I think is the culprit. Also, a number of guys on the NSX site have posted about similar problems with the Optima yellow top - FYI.

What is bridge? I know a bit about cars but not about stereo. best buy did the install for me. Actualy now that i tihnk about it i started having more problems after they installed my new deck. The power on the dash goes outsomtimes in the morning when i start it. The deck and eq dont light up or work. And after driving awile for about 5 minutes they light up and work again. Its as if they dont have power enough to run but my car does. Also ive noticed when i try to turn my ac on when the radio is not working it dosnt work either. But when the radio works so does the ac.

Its very strange. I check system charging voltage with the engine at idle. And its above 13v but when i turn the system on ac on defroster an dheadlights at full load. It slowly starts to creep down. But every altenator I had did this. My original one did and then i went to a rebuilt. And then went with another rebuilt through napa auto parts which is a decent parts house. And still does it. Its as if the pulley is not turning fast enough. They need to change the size or something. Once i press on the gas and rev it a bit the voltage jumps back up to where its supose to be. I think after awile it starts to tap into the battery.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
Well there's your problem, Best Buy suck at wiring stereos. Having your amp bridge gives you double the bass.

For example, if you have a 2 channel amp and on the amo it says 1 and 2. If you connect speaker 1 on number 1 (-) and 2 (+), speaker number 2 on number 1 (+) and number 2 (-), it makes double bass. I hope I explained it right lol. But when bridging the amp, it can drain the battery relatively fast and also if you have a so and so amp, they can start cutting out cause it creates too much heat.

You might want to see how they wired up the stereo. I got a bad feeling they did a crappy job.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The power on the dash goes outsomtimes in the morning when i start it. The deck and eq dont light up or work. And after driving awile for about 5 minutes they light up and work again. Its as if they dont have power enough to run but my car does. Also ive noticed when i try to turn my ac on when the radio is not working it dosnt work either. But when the radio works so does the ac.

Your describing what sounds like loose connections in the fusebox or harness.

As for the alternator, it doesn't produce much charge at idle, not enough to keep the battery fully charged with lights and a/c on. It really sounds like the battery doesn't hold a good charge. The battery you mentioned earlier, if it's one of those gel-pack batteries, they really aren't all that good for everyday use. They put out good amps, but the gel breaks down the more you use them. They typically won't last as long as the regular batteries when you're talking about everyday use.

·
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em
946 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
try switching batteries, all the other symptoms sound like you have a short somewhere. anyway those gel batteries still dont have enough cca cold cranking amps for out cars, also those high output alternators form mom and pop shops have to be of good quality. sometimes they just alter the windings and tell you its high output it will show high numbers but never delivers steady solid charge. i never like any gel battery in our car i have tried them all. if you want a good battery i will share my secret,,, go to costco and get their 1100 ca battery it fits right in and costs about 70 bucks it has 900cca which kicks any optimas butt. then here is the best part save your recipte remember 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed, if your battery starts to fail bring it back they will give you your money back and then just go buy a new one. i do this about twice a year since my system destroys any battery i put in.

put a test light on your ground terminal and touch every grounding point in your engine bay if you see the faintest of light you have a short.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
try switching batteries, all the other symptoms sound like you have a short somewhere. anyway those gel batteries still dont have enough cca cold cranking amps for out cars, also those high output alternators form mom and pop shops have to be of good quality. sometimes they just alter the windings and tell you its high output it will show high numbers but never delivers steady solid charge. i never like any gel battery in our car i have tried them all. if you want a good battery i will share my secret,,, go to costco and get their 1100 ca battery it fits right in and costs about 70 bucks it has 900cca which kicks any optimas butt. then here is the best part save your recipte remember 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed, if your battery starts to fail bring it back they will give you your money back and then just go buy a new one. i do this about twice a year since my system destroys any battery i put in.

put a test light on your ground terminal and touch every grounding point in your engine bay if you see the faintest of light you have a short.
Actually if you use a test light you are going to see the faintest of light. Your cars clock and computer cause a slightest bit of draw on your battery. Thats why if you arnt going to drive your car for a very long time its recomended to disconect the negative terminal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.