Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people! My first post here on this forum. I've had this 1989 Acura Legend V6 for a while now. I gotta say I love the car! We replaced the engine once due to a blown head gasket and a whole bunch of other little things like knobs, door handles, etc. have broken but overall it's still running great. I think the tranny is about to go though, I've got almost 220K on the original auto transmission.

Anyway, my main problem is that the car won't start sometimes. This happens about once a week. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. There's actually two different types of problems:

1) The engine won't turn over when I turn the key into the "start" position. As if the alarm is keeping the engine from starting. I can hear a relay clicking when I turn it to "start" but the engine doesn't turn over.

2) The engine DOES turn over but it won't start. As if it's not getting any fuel.

BOTH times when I just leave the car alone for 10-15 minutes, it will start again. And both problems occur on their own at different times (like once a week). Hopefully, other people know what I'm talking about and can guide me in the right direction. I've heard something about the main relay just browsing this forum but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated as these problems have been going on for a while now and it's driving me nuts!

· Registered
8 Posts
1) The engine won't turn over when I turn the key into the "start" position. As if the alarm is keeping the engine from starting. I can hear a relay clicking when I turn it to "start" but the engine doesn't turn over.
This to me sounds like it might be the neutral start switch might be going bad or be misalligned. I have helped quite a few people with this same problem in many different types of cars (none were legends or hondas for that matter but it could still be it) and it has turned out to be this.

2) The engine DOES turn over but it won't start. As if it's not getting any fuel.
We will probably need more info to fix this little problem. One thing I would do is take out the spark plugs one at a time next time it does this and test them for spark. after doing this you could test the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure guage by hooking it up to the fuel filter on the drivers side firewall and make sure you have the correct fuel pressure. I think the fuel pressure for our cars in 45-55psi but I am probably wrong. If the car is turning over and has spark and the injectors are spraying fuel into the engine the car "should" start unles something is really out of whack, let us know how it goes.

· Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
I'd guess poor charging system on item #1. Actually, I'm betting a poor ground condition keeps the charging system from doing its' job properly.

and, a bad Main Relay on item #2.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses... I'll do those things you said and see if I find anything.

LegendaryASH said:
This to me sounds like it might be the neutral start switch might be going bad or be misalligned. I have helped quite a few people with this same problem in many different types of cars (none were legends or hondas for that matter but it could still be it) and it has turned out to be this.
Does this have anything to do with the shifter? Cause actually, I have to wiggle the shifter a little bit sometimes to get it to go into "Park" or "Neutral." LIke I'd put it in "Park" but the tranny wouldn't engage into park until I wiggle the shifter. This is especially true in cold temps. (below 40 F). But the problems still occur even though the car is for sure in the "park" position.

· Registered
8 Posts
Does this have anything to do with the shifter? Cause actually, I have to wiggle the shifter a little bit sometimes to get it to go into "Park" or "Neutral." LIke I'd put it in "Park" but the tranny wouldn't engage into park until I wiggle the shifter. This is especially true in cold temps. (below 40 F). But the problems still occur even though the car is for sure in the "park" position.
Actually it does. The thing the neutral start switch does for most cars is tells the car what "gear" the car is actually in (i.e. P R N D 2 1) plus it usually controls the key lock that prevents you from removing the key unless the tranny is in park and it controls the starter and only allows it to turn the car over in park or neutral. Finally it controls your reverse lights so that when you go into reverse it turns them on. If the link between your shifter is not properly calibrated the switch wont be moving to the right position so it will lock your starter out and prevent it from operating to prevent damage to the tranny. Next time your car wont turn over when you go to the start position put your shifter in the N position and try again. Most of the time if the P pos it out of alignment the N will be barly in rig and it will work. Hope this helps

As for the second problem It could be the main relay but I would try some diagnostics on other systems before changing that out sine it is expensive.

GL to you and Merry Christmas/ happy holidays all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.