Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, guys!!!

i just bought 4 brand new RL center caps on ebay. the reason i bought those things is that i am thinking about a little project for my excisting center caps on my old fashion rim. Since through years of driving, they have some scraches on them and small holes... so, i am thinking to sand them with some fine sand paper, fill up those small holes with body filler, then get a metalic spray paint. After i repaint them, the black letters will be covered, so, i can tape those silver emblems in the center. I can image them right now :D :D

What do you think, any suggestions? what kinda stuff i need to get for these kind of projects?

i thought it is a pretty good idea for my old center caps. i went to dealer this morning asked about the new set of center cap would cost me around $50 + shipping... more ridiculously, the cap for the power steering fluid reservoir (caus i lost it time last time when i was adding more fluid, now i am a soda bottle cap :p ) will cost $7+shipping.. i was like...whata...FFF

well, i have no words about OEM...

·
Registered
583 Posts
sounds pretty sweet.
Get filler/glaze, wet/dry sandpaper from 100-600 grit, primer, soap/water (sand with this, and clean before putty and priming/painting) paint. Not sure if double sided tape would hold up, or if you'd want to use an epoxy on the new emblems, I'd prob. go with epoxy. then, after it's all done, wax, and more wax.
Good luck and show us some pics when you get done!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Cool

Yah, sounds cool.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweat

thanks Bukowski=Legend

But, what kind of Spray paint do you recommend?

·
Registered
583 Posts
lately I'm liking plasti-kote... it's the "Factory Color Matching" paint that you see at most of the auto parts stores. I've done some touch ups on my L with it and am pretty happy. I would also go with a same brand name primer.

What color is your car? I was thinking of painting my stock wheels a dark metalic gray (anthricite) at one time. May paint my new wheels like that once I start to get tired of them, but that will be a little while :D

If you don't want to do the $ for the PlastiKote, go with the good ol standby Krylon (use Krylon primer). Have had great luck with it on gunstocks, small carparts, etc.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great

i will do so, but i will wait till spring break though:D

can not wait, but right now, i am working my a$$ off to finish up the mid-term:cool:

hope weather will be nice here in spring break. so, i can spend whole day on this pro. do you think one day is enough?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The Legend center caps are aluminum over plastic having decal lettering. A painted center cap will always look like a painted center cap...very "Mickey Mouse" IMO.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The only time you should buy parts from a dealer is when the item and shipping costs of buying online result in the price being the same. Contact Acura of Augusta (GA) 1-800-736-6818.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

i know it will be very tough to make them look like a OEM. but, are there any ways that i can remove the decal lettering?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I believe that the center cap is cleared after the "Acura" decal is applied. If this is correct, then you should be able to wet sand the decal off. Normally, the center cap becomes pitted and corroded and to refinish one in this condition would take a long time to refurbish as the cap would have to undergo multiple sandings and polishings. You would probably have to design some kind of rig to hold the cap stationary while you worked on it. This same process would hold true in attempting to remove the decal. I don't remember reading any thread from anyone who has attempted this procedure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts