Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know, the Legend (at least the G1- not sure about G2's) already has a low ass front end with the engine and oil pan sticking out pretty far down. So even a little suspension drop brings you pretty damned close to the ground...something has gotta scrape eventually.

What's the worst damage you've done? Just curious as to what I could be in for...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was on my way to a concert with my GF and it was dark out, saw a speed bump infront of me, so I slow it down take her over easy. and the damn speed bump was ALOT bigger then I thought, It compleatly bottomed out. It did go over, but hearing that sound is worse then getting kicked in the nuts for me.. I jumped out of the car and I could see the speed bump all scraped up, and I was looking under my car for any oil. Luckly there was no damage, but my oil pan is scraped up still..

I think that was the first moment that my ex GF realized that I liked my car more then her, I think we were going out for about 1month before that

·
Registered
699 Posts
when parking its dangerous to pull up to far so that the front bumper hangs over the curb because when reversing out of the parking spot, the bumper sometimes will get stuck on the curb and rip the bumper tight off its hinges or right off your car depending how bad it is...yes, i know this from experience.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Acurate420 said:
when parking its dangerous to pull up to far so that the front bumper hangs over the curb because when reversing out of the parking spot, the bumper sometimes will get stuck on the curb and rip the bumper tight off its hinges or right off your car depending how bad it is...yes, i know this from experience.
I can vouche for that... Watch out when parking.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
G1> my G1s "front chin spoiler" is missing, previous owner must have damaged it, the muffler looks squared out when it should be round!!... lots of scractching!.. my ucnle's 87 G1 is far worse... looks like someone went riding over jagged rocks under that car! His wife also went onto the curb once with it (OUCH!)

G2> is good underneath, however, the first day I got it, my dad parked with the bumper over the "stop" thing...while parking.. on back out..SCRAAPE...I did it again too about 2 weeks later (AHHH, forgot)... it's been scraped like crazy, on slanted slopes, like when merging into traffic coming from a slanted area...it only clears about 1-inch when backing out of my slanted driveway.. I'm afraid to drop this sucker :)

Maybe some 17"s will help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have ground controls, and i used to have them droped so that my tires were barly in the wheel well. I had stock rims. Travelign down a road in the city, and not realizing that alot of crap would happen. A pot hole was there and right on the toher side was a man hole cover. so my car dipped down and then hit the man hole cover. THe transmission hit the man hole cover. It got ripped apart. First the trans got pushed backwards, then the caseing got cracked completly, exposing my flywheel and clucth with got bent. The crushed transmission went into my oil pan destryoing it. so after it was all over, i was needing a new transmission, cluch, flywheel, oil pan, and varoius other parts. Since, i have put bigger wheels on and raissed it, so it is sitting a little higher now.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have H&R's and Koni's at the lowest spring perch. I have 17's with 45 series tires and my tires almost tuck in the front. The only problems I've really had were speed bumps...I've hit some nasty ones evern when I just roll over them. It's just you don't know how high they are until your body rests on it. I've looked under the car numerous times as I was doing other maintenence and everything still looks ok *knock on wood*

I do scrape my front spoiler a lot on driveways which is really why I am not ready to get a body kit anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
My 1992 coupe front end is down about 2.4in and the back is like 1.5 or something like that and i must say that it bottoms out alot. It is mainly my tow hooks hitting but it sounds scary. I have the 18in with 215/35 tires and my front is tucked just a little.

G

·
Hmmm, I usually don't refer to bottoming out as actually having the bottom of your car scraping on the ground. Bottoming out in its truest sense means to have your shocks compress to the point that you are riding on bump stops. I would call what you guys are talking about "scraping the **** out of my baby." ;)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMG ridinlowlegend that sounds like a nightmare. i'd cry if that happen to me, hope that never happens to you again (sounds difficult to prevent crap like that from happening- if you can't see it you can't see it).

Has anyone thought about welding new tow hooks or some kind of metal piping/gaurd to prevent damage to sensitive equipment? I thought this might help prevent nasty stuff like what happened to ridinlowlegend.

·
Registered
358 Posts
How can you all hit your tow hooks? My front tow hooks are middle height from the front bumper. I dont know how you can scrape these without cracking your front bumper or tearing it off...

·
Registered
358 Posts
legendHI said:
Has anyone thought about welding new tow hooks or some kind of metal piping/gaurd to prevent damage to sensitive equipment? I thought this might help prevent nasty stuff like what happened to ridinlowlegend. [/B]
You don't want anything that will make you stuck...cause trust me...being stuck sucks. I've seen it happen and the only way to get you out is weighing down the car or towing your ass, lol. If you really want to protect your stuff...get some steel skidplates and screw them in place over your oil pan and stuff. This would definitely be a better idea. Then when you do scrape it...you get to see sparks :D

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
.. I'm afraid to drop this sucker :)

Maybe some 17"s will help.
they will
When I got my car back from the shop, it was on the stockies...oh man! scraped the speedbumps and could barely get the stock jack under it. When I put the 18" back on it, I was able to clear speedbumps fairly better...plus I didn't feel as low...it was as low as a Civic w/ the 15" lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.