Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Change timing belt, water pump, oil change, brakes?
Also I don't mean just Midas, I'm talking about any of those type businesses!
thanks

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
I would talk to the mechanic that will be working on your car and make sure he's confident (and experienced). Other than that, I've done timing belts and chains on cars that I haven't done before and I got it done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If that's all your budget really can offered then it's a no brainier. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have access to tools you are better off doing it on your own and with the assistance of a cohort. Places such as Midas usually pay their "service techs" low wages. Thus, in return you may have a novice with less passion working on your ride. That's like taking your car to any ole Jiffy Lube to get an oil change. Those guys are paid close to minimal wage, and so there is little love for their job. Many times you can get your oil change at the dealer for about the same price with a more experienced and better paid tech.

I'm blessed, my neighbor is a mechanic at our local Acura deal-so I get the 20% parts discount, professional service, access to the rack...

·
Registered
23 Posts
dont do it with out checking the shop out first(you can get some bad dealers too) I redo half ass work from other shops all the time, then you get to pay twice.seems like most after market shops will do the t-belt(if they get the cam timing on)but not the water pump.then I see the car 6 months later with a leaking waterpump
and they pay the same labor again.plus I replace all the bolts they left out.
Im sure there are some good aftermarket shops out there I just see the bad ones .If you do use one check around for someone who has used them.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Re: Would anyone recommend going to Midas or someone similar to change the timing belt?

92Legendary_L said:
Change timing belt, water pump, oil change, brakes?
Also I don't mean just Midas, I'm talking about any of those type businesses!
thanks
In short HELLS NO! i wouldn't trust anything those MONKEY wrenches do:eek:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would absolutely NOT take my legend to a Midas or any other such place for serious maintenance work such as timing/belt water pump package, major mileage services or any of the such. The reason is, is that they are a multi car type of shop and do not have exclusive experience with Acuras. They will not know the small ins and outs of the car. Also, they will not use Acura genuine parts. Are you going to purchase the parts and then have them do it? Even if that is the case, they still do not have the experience to do the work on the Acura. Also, like already mentioned, you are dealing with $7.00/hr techs, do you think they will do the greatest job?

I wouldn't even take my car to one of these places for an oil change simply because they may not have access to the proper parts (filters and such) to do the job.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Midas, I would only take my car for exhaust installation. You may find a smaller shop than the dealer that will allow you to bring in your own parts and if they have a decent technician you'll come out ahead. I usually order my parts from Acura of Augusta and have a shop down the road install everything. They use the book just as Acura does, but charge $65 an hour vs. $79 an hour at the dealer. I'm getting old, I can remember $50 an hr. shop prices and $65 an hr. dealer prices here.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
I for one wouldnt go to them for that kind of service. Just take it to a mechanic that you trust or a mechanic that your friends and family go to and have them perform the service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm getting old, I can remember $50 an hr. shop prices and $65 an hr.
KenS, you think you are getting old. I recall back in college when I delivered for an import parts store, the Mercedes/BMW shop charged $50 an hour and I thought that was high as hello!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts