Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read a lot of posts where some members mention it, so i googled it, and read about it, what I want to know is: could it harm my legend? and how many people who are still active members here have done it, and your results were?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It's pretty common, lots of us have used and will continue to use it...won't harm your Legend if used properly...

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
There seem to be two crowds here... Seafoamers and Auto-RXers. Personally I swear by Auto-RX (Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner) and it has completely solved my lifter tick and given me a little more power to boot (based on my ass-dyno). Sticking a liquid into my throttle body with the engine running doesn't sound too healthy to me (Seafoam), even if it does produce quicker results, but there are quite a few here who have done the Seafoam treatment with nothing but good things to say.

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
Yeah but Seafoam is combustible...so long as you dont dump the whole bottle in within 2 seconds, you should be okay :lol:

Yeah the stuff works good in the temporary scheme of things...just follow the directions on the can and the forum :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ran some Seafoam through my engine just last week. I figured it needed to be done since I just bought the car after it has been sitting for about 4 years. Overall, it did seem to make the car run ever-so-slightly smoother. Though, there's a bit more that I need to do to give it a solid tune-up.

IMHO, don't expect miracles, but it can help when used in conjunction with a whole tune-up.

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
dealer told me it could be a wrist pin or something
Which says even the Acura dealers these days really don't know jack about our cars... I would bet our cars were built when most of the techs were in grade school :giggle: Wasn't it Gabe that had techs telling him there was never a 2.5L V6?

·
Registered
444 Posts
hehehe something tells me we just invented a new slang: "butt/ass-dyno"!

as for seafoam, i was suspicious and held back til a few weekends ago. results were, it cured the lifter tick on both my cars and my ass dyno reports more pull at high speeds.

i did half the can through the brake booster. i'll probably throw another half into my crank case and gas tank a few hundred miles before my next oil change to see if that helps.

seriously, the only negative i can say about seafoam is if you don't like the attention you get from all smoke pouring outta your tailpipe for like 5 mins.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
I really want to do seafoam but I'm scared!! I just had new headgaskets so I'm not even sure if it's neccesary.

·
The Great White North
813 Posts
eekazum: it cured the lifter tick via the brake booster method? if so i'm gonna pick up another can for this, as i recently put a can in my gas

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
I hate to sound stupid but, can someone point me out to the brake booster for the G1?

·
Registered
39 Posts
yea, any chance anyone can write up a DIY for the G1 using Seafoam for us noobs out here lol

Anyone in Oz used it and know where I can pick it up?

·
Registered
444 Posts
here.

you can also try ththe pcv valve one...

and tw1st: i hear this only works for a certain people. the lifter ticks because a) the lifter itself is worn and needs replacement or b) sludge or some other contaminant blocks the oil passage to the lifter and hence, you get ticking at certain temperatures. if you are part of the first group, yer assed out. replace the lifters or live with it. if you are part of the second group, seafoam will most likely help. i've yet to try autorx but seafoam is much more readily available (wal-mart, autozone, kragen, pepboys, wherever)

hehe i sound like i know what i'm talking about! i wasn't lying when i put down "professional expert" as qualifications on my first resume.

all in all, i don't see why you don't try it anyways. there's many diys on youtube for different cars but they're all the same procedure. suck up 1/3 to 1/2 the 1oz can through some intake hose (it helps to have someone at the gas cuz your engine dies when it sucks up too much on idle) and pour the rest into the gas tank and crank case. after sucking it up, wait 10~15 mins and then fire up your car and rev! enjoy the smoke show and well, that's it.

remember to change yer oil soonish if you add some to the crank case.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Thanks a bunch. I knew it was something with that hose. All I hear is brake booster and no pics of it. Now I know.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Nice write up eekazum. I did the brake booster hose treatment a couple of hours ago. It smoked for five minutes especially when I rev'd it. Drove around the block and it seemed a little smoother. Good results sofar..

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
on the seafoam diy...the guy has you pour the seafoam in the hose....and then wait 15 mins..when do you exactly put the hose back? right after you pour it in?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
^Got your PM.

To answer it to anyone else who may be wondering, go ahead and reattach it when you're done pouring in the liquid. The car will run better/normal with the hose attached to the booster, and you'll stop sucking in unfiltered air. Don't forget though, after you pour it in and reattach the hose, shut off the engine for the 15 minute wait. That lets the Seafoam sit on the injectors and clean them. Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I stand by seafoam and it removed the lifter tick almost imediately but i would say you would have to continually use it periodically to continue the slient engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts