Acura Legend Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I hate to sound stupid but, can someone point me out to the brake booster for the G1?
There should be a large round black object attached to the firewall in the engine bay, with the brake pedal on the opposite side of it. There should be a vacuum line running to the outside of the round object. That's your brake booster. :)

And there's no reason to be afraid of Seafoam. Unlike 90% of engine "cleaners" out there, Seafoam is not alcohol based, so it's not nearly as harsh on your lines and components as most products. I have yet to hear of a car ruined by Seafoam.

Also, just a reminder, Seafoam should be done just like oil changes: once every three months is good.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I used to LOVE Seafoam! But I used the 3M Intake & T.B. Cleaner one time, cuz they started using it in our service department, and I have to say it's definitely more effective. Don't get me wrong, Seafoam works great for the price. 3M is almost twice the price, but it takes less of it to get the job done.

I also use Lucas oil stabilizer, which will clean out the lifters over time.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sea foam is just a mixture of solvents. If you google it, I think you can find out precisely what. It can be mixed in the oil, gasoline, or run into the intake. It is supposed to dissolve sludge etc and loosen combustion chamber carbon buildup.

I was successful with it in freeing a sticky lifter in a 3.8L Mustang, by running it in the oil (8 ozs in 5 qts of oil) for a few hundred miles. After that I changed the oil and put in fresh oil. I did find, when the engine was subsequently torn down, that there was a buildup of tar like material in the oil pan from the sea foam. I guess it's better that the tar is in the oil pan than in the lifters.

The real fix is to tear the engine down clean everything and reassemble it.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
The real fix is to tear the engine down clean everything and reassemble it.
:yes: the ONLY way in properly addressing valve lifter tick issue... using any kind engine treatment is just one of many "Band-Aid" procedures available to consumers, it's just simple economics really ;)

I'm glad you point that out stephen :thumbsup:

·
Registered
795 Posts
whats the difference between RX and seafoam?

im running RX now so ive made my choice but for future reference... is the only real difference in results time or does one truely clean better than the other?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.