Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I used a little STP Fuel Injector Cleaner today after I changed my oil. Now when I rev the car, lets say.. to 2250 RPM, well it will hit 2250 RPM then the revs will slightly sag down to 2100 then it will start accelerating again (this is all while I have my foot on the gas the same amount and no shifting)

WTH??

Also found my passenger side CV boot is cracked. Joy.

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
arnach said:
Well I used a little STP Fuel Injector Cleaner today after I changed my oil. Now when I rev the car, lets say.. to 2250 RPM, well it will hit 2250 RPM then the revs will slightly sag down to 2100 then it will start accelerating again (this is all while I have my foot on the gas the same amount and no shifting)

WTH??

Also found my passenger side CV boot is cracked. Joy.
Drive until you almost run out of gas then fill up on 93. This should take care of it.

I've had issues with that STP stuff and won't use it again. Get a BG fuel and intake manifold cleaning. Contact some local shops to see if they offer this. It will work wonders on a high mileage car.

· Registered
198 Posts
Rumnarv said:
Drive until you almost run out of gas then fill up on 93. This should take care of it.
i wouldn't suggest that, its not good for the fuel pump to run the engine with the tank so low. IMO sea foam is better than most of those so called cleaners. i say fill up the tank, put in some sea foam, then when that tank is almost empty change the fuel filter (if you havent recently) my $.02

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
mmmchickenboy said:
i wouldn't suggest that, its not good for the fuel pump to run the engine with the tank so low. IMO sea foam is better than most of those so called cleaners. i say fill up the tank, put in some sea foam, then when that tank is almost empty change the fuel filter (if you havent recently) my $.02
Running your tank low will not hurt the fuel pump, still a constant flow of gas going through it. Running untill your car sputters is a different story. Running out and running a clogged fuel filter will destroy a pump.

Seafoam is awesome. Also, use it in your crank case if you have alot of varnish build up or ticking lifters.

Change fuel filter every 30k miles.

· Registered
198 Posts
Rumnarv said:
Running your tank low will not hurt the fuel pump, still a constant flow of gas going through it. Running untill your car sputters is a different story. Running out and running a clogged fuel filter will destroy a pump.
even if there is a constant flow of fuel, it is a smaller amount of fuel. the smaller amount of fuel will not absorb and dissipate the heat created by the fuel pump as well as a full tank of fuel. imagine installing a smaller radiator, there is less rad fluid and smaller surface area to dissipate the heat, its the same idea. full fuel tank = big radiator and good heat dissipation, almost empty tank = small raditor and bad heat dissipation.

moral of the story: fill up ASAP after the light comes on, dont push it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.