Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been in on Xtant amps...i've liked their design but im not too certain about their performance.

I've heard nothing but excellent and rave reviews from all people who own them. but im curious. what's with the power ratings?i know most amplifier manufacturers use RMS but then their RMS seems to be about right. most of the time 400watts or 600 watts ya yea...but what's goign on with Xtant. they've got 125 watt "subwoofer" type amps. and 250 watt sub amps that are supposedly "monsters"

and their configurations are a bit baffling. 3 channel?

anyways, If i were to run 2 DVC 700 watt peak 320watt RMS 15" subwoofers, which Xtant amp would be the best and in what configuration?

the subwoofers are going to be either Infinite baffle or ported. leaning toward ported.

I'm not too interested in the newer Xtant things, im more entrenched with the older stuff. if at all possible help me find the mix!

Which Xtant Amp is suitable for this situation. is the 302a a practicle solution? or would i be better fitted to get the 3 channel behemoth that can "do all" even though im confused as to how it can.

anyways i hope you audio guys can point me in teh right direction.i know enough to be dangerous but not enough to be efficient.

· Registered
2,473 Posts
Bang&Olufsen DK said:
and their configurations are a bit baffling. 3 channel?
Basically it's the same concept as a 5 channel amp where 4 channels are for mids while the 5th is for the subwoofer. In this case, 2 channels are for mids while the 3rd channel is for the subwoofer(s).

anyways, If i were to run 2 DVC 700 watt peak 320watt RMS 15" subwoofers, which Xtant amp would be the best and in what configuration?

the subwoofers are going to be either Infinite baffle or ported. leaning toward ported.
I'm not too interested in the newer Xtant things, im more entrenched with the older stuff. if at all possible help me find the mix!

Which Xtant Amp is suitable for this situation. is the 302a a practicle solution? or would i be better fitted to get the 3 channel behemoth that can "do all" even though im confused as to how it can.

Hrm. Are your subwoofers dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm? I'm not too sure what's xtant's past amps are (could be a million of them) so I can't really recommend one, unless you go with the new-school amps :2cool:

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GSteg said:
Basically it's the same concept as a 5 channel amp where 4 channels are for mids while the 5th is for the subwoofer. In this case, 2 channels are for mids while the 3rd channel is for the subwoofer(s).

Hrm. Are your subwoofers dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm? I'm not too sure what's xtant's past amps are (could be a million of them) so I can't really recommend one, unless you go with the new-school amps :2cool:
thanks man...

yea dual 4 ohm i planned on wiring the VCs in series then wire the subs in parallel and then bridge the amp to get the power of a "2 ohm" load to get the 300 RMS advertised from a bridged 4 ohm (which it basically is) setup it's supposedly able to handle that load gracefully. and since the subs are 320 or 350 watt RMS that would put it right in high side of the sweet spot. an since it's in the range the amplifier is happy operating, it should be able to have a nice crisp sound as well.

What's your recommendation for a newer amp?

· Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
i think you got the wiring wrong

wiring the VC in series and 2 subs in parallel with DVC 4-ohm subs will total "4-ohms"

wiring everything in parallel will equal 1ohm load

the only way to get a 2ohm load is by wiring DVC 2-ohm subs... VC in series and subs in parallel

http://www.diamondaudio.com/products/pdfs/Single Dual Wiring BW.pdf

btw what is the RMS of one sub... is it 320-350w RMS (is it total or just one?)

if its 300w total for both subs

with the xtant x603e you can bridge it 300wx1 @ 4 ohms

and you would just wire it the way you said before

VCs in series and subs in parallel for a total of 4 ohm load

i was looking into xtant amps before
but i decided to get diamond audio amps

but the xtant amps do look sexy....

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bl420 said:
i think you got the wiring wrong

wiring the VC in series and 2 subs in parallel with DVC 4-ohm subs will total "4-ohms"

wiring everything in parallel will equal 1ohm load

the only way to get a 2ohm load is by wiring DVC 2-ohm subs... VC in series and subs in parallel

http://www.diamondaudio.com/products/pdfs/Single Dual Wiring BW.pdf

btw what is the RMS of one sub... is it 320-350w RMS (is it total or just one?)

if its 300w total for both subs

with the xtant x603e you can bridge it 300wx1 @ 4 ohms

and you would just wire it the way you said before

VCs in series and subs in parallel for a total of 4 ohm load

i was looking into xtant amps before
but i decided to get diamond audio amps

but the xtant amps do look sexy....
naw it's 320-50 per subwoofer. you sayin that the amperage is split between the two???!? like only one is getting 150 watts while the otehr gettin 150 watts? and i would need a 600 watt RMS amp?!?!

so you tellin me 300 watts RMS in one channel split between 2 subwoofers would be 150 to each?!?! Im confused now. i was under the impression at 300watts running RMS to both subs therefor i would be in the clear.

but yea the 302A ia a 2 channel 300 watt bridged amp...300 watts at 4 ohm bridged so with that 4 ohm setup bridged i'd be able to get that 300 watts to both subs and be right in there performance peak.

· Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
i think i mistake when you wrote "2 ohms"

i guess you meant 4 ohms since you know that the xtant 302a is 300w @ 4 ohms

i also got confused with the amps that you specified i thought it was the current xtant xe series amp

but with 2 dvc 4 ohms subs on the 302a rated at 300w @ 4 ohms.... each sub will only get 150w

wiring speakers together changes the impedance and makes it act as one speaker...

theres no two loads... its just one load on the amp because its wired together.

the power is split between the two.....

like my last setup was 2 DVC 4-ohm subs @ 500w each... i wired it all in parallel and it had a load of 1ohm...i needed a 1000w @ 1ohm amp.

that amp will work but not at the RMS that you want

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay,...

now im feelin slightly upset...i got the wrong information on the subwoofers...all this is for naught:mad:

the subwoofers are 700W rms...blast!

i definately dont have to worry about anything then.

Graeme (LegendGS), can you let me know how you feel about your Xtant in the back of your car...what model number, and all that mess

BL, was the wattage of the amp you were using 1000 max or 1000RMS. what brand name were the products?

from what i witnessed anytime someone did something like that, ran double the RMS to speakers, they blew them. Ofcourse they had the gains up, but still double the RMS blew the speakers.

EDIT:
i guess the reason why im so confused is my cousin is a pro audio installer. he's won a bunch of shows and stuff. he had a van with 4 tens with one 200(two hundred)W amp and it beat the back off that van. he said it was all in the wiring. i never did get him to tell me how he wired it up, but it was hard hitting for 200 watts. hell it was hard hitting period.

· Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
its 1000w RMS from diamond audio its the D6 series D61000.1

the subs were 500w RMS each... now im getting two subs that are 1000w RMS each

i'll be needing new amps... so im going with arc audio... the 1500-XXK runs 1000w x 1 @ 2 ohms and the price is around $500 or so for 1 amp

it was more expensive than my diamond amp which only cost me $400

hopefully by next year i'll be done with the whole setup...

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GSteg said:
Basically any amp that does abot [email protected] or 4ohm would be fine.

If the 302a amp has enough output, then i dont see why not.

There are a billion amps out there that would work well.

What other brands are you comfortable with? I can go on a hunt for you. :giggle:
well, the reason im pretty set on Xtant is taht it offers the best combination of performance and styling.

if you can find something with a minimalist aesthetic design, that kicks ass in performance, man definately!:bowdown:

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
bl420 said:
its 1000w RMS from diamond audio its the D6 series D61000.1

the subs were 500w RMS each... now im getting two subs that are 1000w RMS each

i'll be needing new amps... so im going with arc audio... the 1500-XXK runs 1000w x 1 @ 2 ohms and the price is around $500 or so for 1 amp

it was more expensive than my diamond amp which only cost me $400
i c...so you're stepping it up to 1000watts for the sub and using what may end up being about 1700 watts of drive for them?

EDIT:

i've also found that even at 4ohm the Xtant is severely underrated. so if you introduced a 4ohm bridged it would be close to 530 watts RMS. the amp is stable to 2 ohm...i cant figure out how to wire two DVCs to get a 2 ohm load...i've been racking my brain for like 2 weeks now.

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anyhoo back to the question...

what's a practical solution for this? im in it for SQ, but i need to be able to produce SUPER low notes with "very decent" to "pretty good" SPL. I make beats and im kind of a bass head, and i have a couple tracks with 25hz bass drops.

would i need 1000watts to push 700W subs decently? should i step the choice subwoofer back to something to match output of the Xtant?

what's a perfect mating of power and sub?

· Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
Bang&Olufsen DK said:
anyhoo back to the question...

what's a practical solution for this? im in it for SQ, but i need to be able to produce SUPER low notes with "very decent" to "pretty good" SPL. I make beats and im kind of a bass head, and i have a couple tracks with 25hz bass drops.

would i need 1000watts to push 700W subs decently? should i step the choice subwoofer back to something to match output of the Xtant?

what's a perfect mating of power and sub?
theres no definite answer on the perfect combo imho...

theres nothing written in stone saying that you must match RMS ratings

im getting the arc audio flatline 12" subs which are 1000w rms

i got a chance to audition them through a car audio dealer/installer thats been in the biz for +10 years

hes running 2 arc flatlines at only 500w RMS each sub even though the subs are 1000w RMS

my previous setup was 2 elemental designs e12o.44 (flat cone subs)
and they were 500w RMS each too

and these arc are nothing compared to the elemental designs

when i was sitting in his car i was just blown away at how well these subs play...

so theres nothing wrong with underpowering subs... you just gotta make sure that it will sound good if it is underpowered.

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bl420 said:
theres no definite answer on the perfect combo imho...

theres nothing written in stone saying that you must match RMS ratings

im getting the arc audio flatline 12" subs which are 1000w rms

i got a chance to audition them through a car audio dealer/installer thats been in the biz for +10 years

hes running 2 arc flatlines at only 500w RMS each sub even though the subs are 1000w RMS

my previous setup was 2 elemental designs e12o.44 (flat cone subs)
and they were 500w RMS each too

and these arc are nothing compared to the elemental designs

when i was sitting in his car i was just blown away at how well these subs play...

so theres nothing wrong with underpowering subs... you just gotta make sure that it will sound good if it is underpowered.
i c....very good info.

I had my eye on eDesign 16Kv.2 a while back...matter of factly up until recently. but i changed my mind.

· GS Hog
7,345 Posts
Bang&Olufsen DK said:
Graeme (LegendGS), can you let me know how you feel about your Xtant in the back of your car...what model number, and all that mess
I'm very happy with my setup. The amp powering my subs is a 603 running at 4 ohms powering my 2 IDQ10 subs (rated to handle 50-300w RMS) at 150. The other two channels feed my rear speakers at 75 w/channel.

The fronts are powered by a 2200ix.

It's pretty tame, but it's all that I needed. Purely SQ. ;)

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LegendGS said:
I'm very happy with my setup. The amp powering my subs is a 603 running at 4 ohms powering my 2 IDQ10 subs (rated to handle 50-300w RMS) at 150. The other two channels feed my rear speakers at 75 w/channel.

The fronts are powered by a 2200ix.

It's pretty tame, but it's all that I needed. Purely SQ. ;)
:D:D:D

EDIT:

damn i suck at reading...

nevermind.

but question. do you have the 6x9s in the back set for low pass like the subs or are they set more for fill.

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just installed the 302A and the 2 MB Quart RWE 354 15" subs.

i have to say that this amp is indeed severly underrated. I found out through the grape vine that the amp is reccommended at 2 ohm and is stable to .5 ohm but they dont rate it that way. i have it wired right now at 1 ohm through one channel. (second channel not in use) and it doesn't overload, it barely gets WARM warm (these amps are supposed to be pretty warm because the body is a heatsink).

the best of all, the amp's gain is pretty low (below the factory setting) and it was able to inflict one of my friends with neasea with the level of bass production. I dont ride with it that loud at all, but i had to max it out to see what it could do. im impressed from a bass-boy point of view, and the bass is REALLY clear. even when played really loud, there's no hang ups from fast bass like most big subs do. it's really nice...

now it's time to up the front stage so that it can have a clear full range sound.:)

XTANT 4 t3h w3n.:bowdown:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.