Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have needed a new car battery for a while now and I am going to get one next week, but which one. The yellow is more expensive, but has less CCA, less amps, and has something called AH on the listing on the battery. It comes with a 7 year warranty and cost about $260.00CANADIAN + taxes.

The red top has about 100 more CCA and about 100 more amps, does not have that AH rating on it and is $210.00CAD + taxes and has like a 5 year warranty

Can someone please help me understand why this is other than the warranty:confused: I have a BIG stereo which draws about 50AMPS (OLD LANZARS are known for this), neons, gauges, want to get HID's so I need a battery that can handle this.

Thanks for all your help,
Mark

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is my suggestion. If the battery is going to be your primary battery, go with the Red Top, because it is designed for starting, but if you do a lot of "engine off" listening or audio cranking, use the Yellow Top. And for regular application, I think Red Top will be more than enough.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
wallstrum said:
eyecandy - read this thread about optima batteries on a car audio forum, and decide for yourself... i was contemplating the same thing as yourself, but decided against it after reading this thread...

wally

http://www.carsound.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=015226
I agree, but I went ahead and got a red top for two specific reasons, and 1 not so specific. The battery is smaller, so it leave more room under the hood, or in the trunk if you choose to mount it in the trunk. It has 2 battery post possitions. I know many other batteries also have to battery post as well. I like the two posts because I can mount my battery cable to the top post like normal, and then I can mount all my accessory conections on the side post. This IMHO makes for a much cleaner installation. And lastly, the battery was only $99 for Costco. :)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I'd say go with the red top if upgrading as Alexander said.
But if you listen to the system with the engine off [such as I at carshows, etc] then a yellow top is the way to go.
That's what I did and couldnt be happier.

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
I have a yellow top coz I watch movies with the car off. Like everyone else has mentioned, go with the red top (or other battery) if you don't plan on running your system with your car off.

·
my name is also my PSN id
87 Posts
amp hour exp

AH stands for amp-hours, or the amount of current the battery can provide over a given amout of time. due to battery chemistry, total ah increases as current load decreases. for ex. a batt that discharges 60ah in one hour at a 60 amp discharge may discharge 80ah over two hours at a 40 amp discharge. if hours is not specified ah is asssumed to be given for max amprage output for a 1 hour discharge.

·
Registered
84 Posts
blue battery

IMG]http://www.cdplayersent.com/html/legend.htm[/IMG]
got the deep blue marine battery does it make a difference?

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Re: blue battery

cdplayers said:
IMG]http://www.cdplayersent.com/html/legend.htm[/IMG]
got the deep blue marine battery does it make a difference?
No. There are two marine batteries. One is the equivalent of the red top, and one the equivalent of the yellow top. The main difference is the post.

·
Banned
2,261 Posts

·
Banned
2,261 Posts
Does anyone have ANY negative feed back on the Red Top Optima batteries, especially the Red top (34/78)

·
Registered
70 Posts
reds the best overall choice.. longer warrenty.. plus you wont need yellow unless your running a huge system and plan on using it when the car is off all the time. yellow offers like 1 years for replacement, and red offers 3 years i think for replacement.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
CakeDaddy said:
I counld not access the web site that wallstrum posted. Whta is the problem with this battery?
u posted about a year after that link was put up. lol.

and geeze you guys..bringing threads back from the dead eh?

To the original thread starter, not sure if he is still here, but 50A of current pull isn't too big so the red top would be fine.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
of course. but in terms of car aduio, 50A is not too much.

10A of 12v going through your body is something, where as 10A of 12v going being pulled from the electrical system is nothing. But we're not talking about how much power is going through our body to hurt us :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
optimas are the best the military use them

·
Registered
62 Posts
one note, never let your optima batteries fully discharge, sometimes, even a brand new one, if you discharge it all the way, it WONT recharge, so its basically dead. just a little word of caution.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
ac1221 said:
one note, never let your optima batteries fully discharge, sometimes, even a brand new one, if you discharge it all the way, it WONT recharge, so its basically dead. just a little word of caution.
yup. the yellow top is not a true deep cycle battery by definition.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
i really needed this thread i was wondering what was the difference between the yellow and red top batteries, most people i know have the yellow top but they do a lot of car shows.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts