Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
i love the rear view
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... for us with / planning 3.5's with just a bit more than headers, exhaust & air intakes over a telion or sr5guy chip? i mean i don't know much but just see that it's a standalone em for around 350. or is there one that may be a bit "better" for around 5-700??? comments / suggestions???

·
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em
946 Posts
It isn't a standalone anything. it's a piggyback.

If you're going to spend the time on the dyno and/or a wideband then I say go for it. If you're just going to play with it and see if the car gets faster then don't, that's a fools game...and I assume you're wearing your helmet.

For the money the SAFCII is a pretty good buy.

·
i love the rear view
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so this would be something that assists in tuning of your vehicle, & would say work in conjunction/well with a telion chipped ecu?

·
946 Posts
It would allow fine tuning and custom tailoring the fuel delivery for your particular car. Starting with the chip is ideal, trimming it out for your exact needs is choice. Note that the SAFCII doesn't have any ignition control, so you'll have to trust your chip burner to get that right.

·
Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
Note that the SAFCII doesn't have any ignition control, so you'll have to trust your chip burner to get that right.
thats the biggest downfall of piggybacks is the lack of ignition control
SAFCs alter the signal in between the MAP sensor and the ECU.

the MAP sensor signal is actually used for both fuel and ignition maps...

decrease the MAP voltage and you lean out the mixture but you also advance timing

increase the MAP voltage and you richen the mixture but you also decrease timing.

btw... the apexi safc is far from a standalone engine management unit.

·
Life Ruiner
4,868 Posts
Nothing you need for now, but a good unit to buy. Its easily buyable for 200-230 on ebay used/new.

Custom burned chips from Telion/Sr5guy have come a long way since the use of the afc/bayou. Stick with the guys above and then depending on mods you can pick up an afc, install it and head to the local dynojet for a fine tune. May I recommend Midnight Performance in Rancho, close to you.

~Dv8

·
946 Posts
the MAP sensor signal is actually used for both fuel and ignition maps...

decrease the MAP voltage and you lean out the mixture but you also advance timing

increase the MAP voltage and you richen the mixture but you also decrease timing.
That's nasty! No wonder people are having trouble with these futhermucking cars.

·
i love the rear view
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing you need for now, but a good unit to buy. Its easily buyable for 200-230 on ebay used/new.

Custom burned chips from Telion/Sr5guy have come a long way since the use of the afc/bayou. Stick with the guys above and then depending on mods you can pick up an afc, install it and head to the local dynojet for a fine tune. May I recommend Midnight Performance in Rancho, close to you.

~Dv8
... sounds good to me, as i obviously was way off on what it was in the first place !!! thanks.

·
One Meeelion HP
2,956 Posts
On my advice, Eric (forevralegend) had purchased an safc for his car and had it tuned by Midnight Performance. He gained all of 1HP and 2 lbs of torque, which is barely a measurable gain as even back to back dyno runs with no changes usually differ by a few HP. All in all, I'd say the factory ECU does a pretty good job of adapting to performance modifications - including the 3.5 - without the piggy back controller. From my research the factory ECU doesn't really follow the fuel maps at part throttle, it relies more so on the oxygen sensor output to obtain the optimal AFR. I feel bad I suggested the AFC to Eric although some of it's other features did come in handy.

-Matt

·
Life Ruiner
4,868 Posts
Eric (Forevra) and my car was tuned by Midnight at WOT, like most tunes. Eric with Matts chip(s) didn't need much correction. Coincidence or good mapping on Matt's part.
The Bayou stage 2 required a lot, hence why I used the AFC(EMS was already underway for me when these custom chip started coming out). The main reason why I used the AFC however, was for Nitrous. I still feel now with the ability to get custom chips, the AFC gives a quicker map switch if one desired to do nitrous pulls on the fly safely. Ive heard of the moates 2 timer, but I have yet to see it in action. I'll wait on Eric to get his, before I form a solid opinion. As for regular driving, the A/F wasn't measured on Eric's Legend, so there could be room for improvement or not enough to merit the expenses. Forevra would need to get an A/F gauge and do some data logging.

Over all, we've come a long way since 2-3 years ago in the realm of engine management.

Thanks to everyone that contributed! :)

~Dv8

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.