Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i need some help!!! A few months ago, when the temperature was really hot outside (90's) the the idle speed was zero!! the tach would actually rest on the peg at 0. then i think i changed my oil, or something, and it just went away. now, the problem is back, and again, its really hot outside. could the problem be due to the fact that i changed the dials (MUGEN INDIGLO) and that the needle is somehow rubbing? i was reading thru the other posts, and someone said that the tps is going bad, and it costs 500 to fix!! others said cleaning the throttle body works, too. how do u do that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah

everything else with the legend is fine. the only thing i have noticed is the idle is at 0. weird? no stalling, no chugging, still performs like a beast...mileage is still fine. if it is rubbing due to the hot weather, then will it lead to long term damage to anything? (ps, it doesnt seem like it is rubbing, cuz when i start it cold, the rpms go to 400, then gradually go down to 0, as it gets warmer)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats an idle switch? (it has been workin fine since i put the dials on, for the past 2 months)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not your idle (tach) needle, its the gauge install!

Im sure that it is just your gauges bending from the heat... You may want to try opening the whole thing back up if it gets to bothersome, and put some mroe double-sided tape behind the entire gauge face...

What happens is the gauge face sticks a bit too far out and rubs in the bottom of the needle. This has happened to my friends Accord, and by adding some 3M double sided tape and smoothing the gauge face out we fixed it. Its a hassle to do it, but if its that annoying or you have a manual tranny, do it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh yeah!!

i forgot to mention this, but it had this same problem once before i put in the gauges. so doesnt that rule out the rubbing problem?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bump. Now im having this problem too, its cold here to heat dosent have anything to do with mine and i havent so much as touched the guages so its not that either. Its normal when i start it it goes to 1 or 1.5 then as it falls it goes all the way down to the zero and stays there until i hit the gas again. And it stays low through the whole power band i got up to about 60 earlier and it was still on about 1200-1500 rpms then it jumped to a lil over 2000. I not really too worried about it unless its gonna cause problems but i would like to get it fixed cuz its gettin on my damn nerves. I was also wondering if its possible for whatever is causeing the tach to mess up to affect the transmission. THnx.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
its the hootercanooter valve, 20$ at any autoparts store, just go in and ask for it they will know what you are talking about

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
badintentions said:
its the hootercanooter valve, 20$ at any autoparts store, just go in and ask for it they will know what you are talking about
What's the point of the dip post. He has a real question, not "what are these lights on my bumper for?"

Most likely its some sort of sensor problem. if you were really idiling at 0, your engine would stall, or at least you would experience a heck of alot of vibration while starting.

Maybe this will help:

and..

·
Registered
427 Posts
hey my car does the same thing ever since i pulled out my cluster once in a while it would drop to 0 what i did to fix it was slap the top of my dash on top of the tach meter and it would wake up again lol kind of ghetto but it works i'm gonna the rpm gauge when i get the chance in the summer time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.