The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum - View Single Post - Head Gasket D.I.Y.
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 09-20-07, 01:47 AM   #192 (permalink)
WJKJR
Registered User
 
WJKJR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 104


Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend L Model


My BHG project is almost finished. On the first start, both valve cover gaskets leaked like crazy. Come to find out, the eristic gaskets are crap and don't fit properly..strike one for them. Wound up using the original used OEM's...they were in better shape than the aftermarkets and they don't leak. I will replace them later. Filled the radiator with water and and topped off the oil..second start up...no problems no leaks.....bled the cooling system and it worked just like the jetdoc said.....temp gauge rock solid. The only thing left to do now is to do another oil change, flush radiator and add coolant. Also I need power steering fluid....I don't know where it went, but after I started the car, I noticed it was low. I also have a hand full of brackets that need to be put back on....I've tried to find the locations but I think I am going to need some pics of them installed. I also have a few sockets resting on the chassis somewhere that need to be retrieved along with a couple of nuts and bolts....Time wise the project has taken somewhere in the 20-30hr range. I started the project mid June and have only worked on the car during the week in the evenings a couple of hours each night for 2 or three nights per week with my friend..I have to give him most of the credit. He's done most of the work. The work tho has been rather slow. The caveats of the project was breaking the cam seal cap on my left head. That same day a knock sensor was broken removing the plug....those damn sensors are too dang brittle. I ordered another head and it took over 3 weeks to get. So after I got all of the machine work done, and started reassembly, it was August. If you asked me if I would do it again, I'm not sure. The cost savings really isn't that much when you wind up spending what you might have saved on the extra parts that you replaced because you were already torn down. Water pump and timing belt are a no brainer, the but other stuff like the exhaust bolts and nuts are expensive. A shop most likely would have just replaced the ones that broke and that would be it. My project cost was around $1200 so I saved around $400 from what I was quoted.
WJKJR is offline  
 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© AutoGuide