The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum - View Single Post - Head Gasket D.I.Y.
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 02-18-08, 06:19 PM   #206 (permalink)
rb95gs

Car 1: 1995 GS 4dr cashmere
Car 2: 1993 LS 2dr cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb95gs View Post
...........my project has turned the corner - heads are back on. There's some minor reconstruction to do on the stay at the back end of the y-pipe, then put on a new water pump and bolt it all back together.
My HG job is 99.9% done. I started the car up today - hooray! - all appears fine. Still need to put the bottom shield back on - and change oil & filter. It's nice to have it back together - big job. I've changed several head gaskets in my time and the Legend gets the prize for most cruft to take apart and put back. It really helped to have a second Legend to look at - there's too much to just remember it like can be done with easier cars.

There was a question above about eBay gasket sets. I used FelPro head gaskets from Rock Auto ($65 shipped) - but for the rest I got an eBay gasket set from DomesticGaskets (in CA) - $45 I think. This is a nice gasket set - I was particularly impressed with the quality and fit of everything - the valve cover gaskets are a good design - they have the little bumps like OEM so they stay put while handling the covers. Probably their head gaskets would have been fine too - they have extra rings of sealant on some passages - they actually look a bit nicer than the FelPros - but I have used a lot FelPro head gaskets and have had good results so I stayed with them.

Last edited by rb95gs; 02-18-08 at 09:39 PM.