Acura Legend Forum banner

Bored Rims, Now Which Lug Nuts??? Long Shank or Conical

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ChrisK 
#1 · (Edited)
I bored out my rims now they are a loose fit on the hub ring (reason we bore), which means the hub ring is not used to center the wheel anymore.

So the lugs do it. But...

The new rims have LARGE holes for the lugs! Larger than my lugs. It looks like they take a "long shank lug nut". I bought a set today but the shanks that go down into the lug hole in the rim are not thick enough to fill the holes for a nice fit to align the rims also.

The 2nd problem is the lug hole is a flat bottomed one. It is not concave! So I cannot use "conical lug nuts". Conicals would sit down in the concave hole and snug up the rim nicely aligned.

Can I use conicals on a flat bottomed lug hole or will it stress or crack the rim? Conicals would center in each hole and therefore align the rim perfectly to the hub as usual. But would it stress the holes???

Or do Long Shank Lug Nuts come with a .75"/19mm shank? The ones I bought today were not. They were about .60"
Sooo...

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok thanks. Those look nice. I think I better get aluminum though. That was about $68.

But that doesn't solve my issue. There would still be about a 1/16"-1/8" of play in rotation which of course can't be.

I guess the simplest question to ask is can conical lug nuts be used on flat bottom lug hole rims? Where the conical will fit half if it's length down into the hole not bearing down onto the flat top of the hole.

I wish I saved the damn lug nuts I bought for these specific rims when I bought them new! Argghhh!

#5 ·
Did you put Lexus rims on your car? Anyway, you need to get flat faced lug nuts like those used on Lexus/Toyota They both have a 12X1.5 thread pitch so they will work on the Honda/Acura studs.

Here is a picture of the Toyota/Lexus flat faced lug centric lug nuts. This is similar to what you will need. If you happened to have used Lexus rims than this would be exactly what you need.

#6 ·
you're still gonna get vibration unless you can get that rim tight on the hub

#7 ·
That's exactly what I needed thanks!

I forgot what they looked like on the GS back then. Perfect thanks!

What I used was 2 conical locks across from each other in the star bolt pattern. That centered the rim perfectly. Then I used square bottomed (flat) lug nuts on the other 3 and they are on good and tight.

Rides smooooth! I am loving the control I get from the 235/45's ! My Continental ContiSports are a little noisy but hey!

#8 ·
The problem you may have is the cone lugs may not stay torqued. I would check them often to see how the torque is holding up. Also, I thought I read you bored out the rims yourself? How did you do it, or did you take it to a machine shop? I still would get hubcentric rings if I were you. My suggestion is to over bore it to something like 73-76mm which are fairly common aftermarket rim bore sizes, then get a hub ring back down to the Legend 70.1mm. You can also get another hub ring for the Lexus 60.1, then you can use these rims on both your cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.