Acura Legend Forum banner

Throw back cars that you havent seen in a long time!

22K views 104 replies 48 participants last post by  gaffats 
#1 ·
This is a good 1. A jdm 1st gen Vigor i cant even remember when i seen a usdm 1 lol.

See less See more
#39 ·
My Dad's car's in the 60's...I'd take any of them.

Funny story - .....he was a "famous" street racer in Mamoroneck, NY in the 60's known as "The Rabbit" because he was so fast....I use to think he was telling "dad stories" (i.e. - embellishing) about how many people use to come to try to race him....fast forward 35 years. I meet my wife's uncle in 1999 when we first started dating...he found out my name (which is the same as my dad)...he asked me "was your dad's nickname The Rabbit?"...true story. :giggle:

1964 Pontiac - it was the fastest of all 3 of these cars.

1962 Vette

1967 Vette - he had to sell this when I was born in '70...sorry dad :lol:

#42 ·
It's amazing how many of these cars I see here in Knoxvegas.

#44 ·
Thats because the rest have gone up in flames! They didn't call them 'Fiero' for nothing! I had two family members almost die in seperate car fires in Fieros; the only thing those were good for are the Lambo conversions.

#47 ·
^ Per wikipedia:

Engine fire reputation
Total production of the Pontiac Fiero over all 5 years was 370,168.[4] Regarding the number of cars which suffered an engine fire, we have the following two references, one from NHTSA and one from Pontiac Division.

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration...said it has received 148 complaints regarding [Pontiac Fieros catching fire] including reports of six injuries...Low levels of engine oil may cause a connecting rod to break; allowing oil to escape and come into contact with engine parts. The oil would catch on fire when it contacted the exhaust manifold or hot exhaust components...David Hudgens, a GM spokesman in Detroit... said, 'If you ran out of oil, and then that coupled with some aggressive driving perhaps, and maybe not changing the oil very often, you end up with a broken rod, and that's where the connecting rod came in, it is still the owners responsibility to check the oil.' "[5]

"GM tests have shown that running these 1984 cars with low engine oil level can cause connecting rod failure which may lead to an engine compartment fire...Pontiac is aware of 260 fires attributable to the condition, along with ten reported minor injuries."[6]

The larger of the two reported numbers of cars with fires (260), amounts to 0.07% of Fieros produced. The fires affected almost exclusively the 2.5 L engine, and mostly 1984 models. (Note that there may have been additional occurrences after the above reports were published.) The primary cause of engine fires was a batch of poorly cast connecting rods which failed when the oil level became too low. The faulty connecting rods were produced in GM's Saginaw plant. The theory is that the sports car styling attracted buyers who would drive the car hard, most notedly over-revving the engine. Another factor was the misprinted three quart oil capacity, the actual oil capacity was 4 1/2 quarts but a misprint in the dipsticks and the owners manuals lead to people running three quarts and perhaps a leaky valve cover gasket which would allow the oil level to decline over time to a dangerously low level. If the proper oil level was not maintained, the bearings could seize, snapping the porous castings of the connecting rods resulting in punched holes in the engine block, thus spraying oil onto hot exhaust components where it could ignite.

Most vehicles existing today have been serviced by GM during one of the safety recalls on the car. On the fire-related recall, shields and drip-trays were added to prevent leaking fluids from contacting hot surfaces. The presence of drip shields between the engine block and the exhaust manifold are a good clue that the car was retrofitted. The addition of the longer AC Delco PF51 oil filter and a re calibrated dipstick added extra oil capacity to the oiling system, and enabled running 4 quarts of oil in the crankcase instead of 3 quarts to help prevent oil starvation to the rods. Certain vehicles had their connecting rods or entire block replaced.

Another theory is that some fires may have been due to the engine wiring harness being located in the center of the engine bay above the exhaust manifold, where the heat could theoretically melt and ignite the wiring. Also, the 1984 model had a magnesium grille over this area. In later models, this was improved to some degree with much better heat shielding wrapped around the wiring harness.

A third cause of fires was due to the method used to cast the engine block and possibly overtorqued head bolts. Some engines developed cracks in the block that would leak coolant and/or oil, sometimes accompanied by broken head bolts directly above the crack. The leak would spray coolant or oil onto the hot catalytic converter and exhaust manifold located at the front of the engine compartment resulting in fire. This was the cause in several cases.

#59 ·
Here was mine...

Of course you don't see these around anymore because they all rusted away :(

#57 ·
Drop Dead Sexy!!!!

Here's a goody for all of you. Seriously, my best friend drove one in high school. It actually had a sunroof, but we had to have trash bags on the seats because it leaked so bad. Ahhhhhh....the places we drove that car and we _never_ got stuck.

I give you the.......drumroll please.....the AMC Pacer! TaDa!

Kumi

#58 ·
Here's a goody for all of you. Seriously, my best friend drove one in high school. It actually had a sunroof, but we had to have trash bags on the seats because it leaked so bad. Ahhhhhh....the places we drove that car and we _never_ got stuck.

I give you the.......drumroll please.....the AMC Pacer! TaDa!

Kumi
now thats a throw back for real lol good!

#64 ·
My first car

My first car was a 75' Mustang Ghia II. Yes, it was a terrible time for Mustangs. However, mine had a V8, posi rear end, police interceptor, black on black, true spokes. I totaled it two weeks after I got it. Too much car for a 16 year old girl. I can't believe how much power that V8 produced in such a small car. It was such a beautiful car! :bowdown:

Kumi

#68 ·
Throw back and my dream car!!!!

Here it is!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

This is my dream car. The color will do just fine! Ahhhhhh.....one of these days I will have one darn near perfect in my garage. Even if I have to just sit and look at it. Nah...I'd have to drive it. I'm addicted to muscle. To hell with gas prices.

#69 ·
Here it is!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

This is my dream car. The color will do just fine! Ahhhhhh.....one of these days I will have one darn near perfect in my garage. Even if I have to just sit and look at it. Nah...I'd have to drive it. I'm addicted to muscle. To hell with gas prices.

i still have my 69 SS but its put up for the time being!

#72 ·
wow so many cavy's my first car was a 92 cavalier called "olde chippy" (because of the oxidized paint) it had 226000 miles on it when i handed it down to my best friend. anywho here are a couple of my favorite obscure cars.
honda civic del sol, i suppose that this was hondas answer to the mazda miata :dunno:

the poor mans bmw 2002 the datsun 510

my favorite supra the mkIII, the last year of supra just looks too big!

#73 ·
:yumyum: My cousin's 68' Chevelle Malibu

#74 ·
I want a 69 ^ to go with my Camaro lol

#75 ·
man.. i have seen atleast one of every one of these cars here in the last year or so... cept maybe that red one couple posts up... its a Lamborghini isnt it?? i really cant tell. but then again im not really up on my 60's and 70's Italian supercars

anyway here is my .02

Chrysler TC by Maserati

Dodge Shadow ES convertible

i actually use to have this cars big brother, the Plymouth Sundance Duster V6
this is mine
it was tight as hell, it had a huge blue 3.0V6OHC decal on the hood!!

it was named the "Cheapest car on sale in the US with a standard drivers side air bag and V6 engine" in 1992 by Card & Driver magazine!!

first gen SHO

the Volvo 740 Turbo

and one i found and i just had to post it for Jen!!

Subaru Justy

i like how the made the 4WD sticker into an AWD!!
almost bought one once, it was i think a 1.3 litre with a 5-spd and 12" rims!! but it was only FWD

well anyway i could post pics all day long.. but i really miss seeing these sometimes!!!

#79 ·
AAAAAAHHHH what you know about the Typhoon and Syclone!!!

MAN i saw a Typhoon the other day, dude knew what he had too! Had the HIDs in it, CLEAN Stock wheels and everything! It was black too!

He rode by some girls but they didn't even give him a second look :rofl: Goes with the territory i guess.

#78 ·
It took me to forever to figure out what kind of car this was and find a picture of it. An ex-girlfriend had one. Pretty sporty.

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS

#81 ·
This post has been deleted
#88 ·
MoisTiCaL thanks for posting the older z my mom had one and i see one every day at the auto cross even though its suspension has collapsed

EvilRed92Legend good call on the SVX those things are soo cool to bad they are only automatics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.