The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum - View Single Post - Legend Common Problems (Wont Start? Overheating?)
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 02-07-11, 11:22 AM   #69 (permalink)
bravo659

Car 1: 1992 ACURA LEGEND

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizze View Post
The reason you're gettin that is probably a bad thermostat.....It goes bad and your radiator uses all the coolant in the resevoior....then air gets into the system....Repalce thermostat,take off radiator cap, open bleed,and add coolant untill you see a constant stream of coolant coming out.Make sure you turn the heat all the way up in the car,that lets the coolant go through the heater core, you should feel heat in the car which tells you that the thermostat is working. The most common cause of the weird idle is not enough volume in the system..I too worried about those bhg stories..Bottom line..don't drive when your car starts acting funny..My 91 5 sp coupe has 200,000 on it and I just repalced my radiator...They commonly leak on the seam near the top.. And I still drove it 2 months filling the radiator up every 2 days before I got around to replacing it. My head gasket is fine cause I never let kate overheat.....Everyone I know asks me why I hang on to a 20 year old car.....Glad to know it's not just me...
It took over a month for someone to respond to this question I had LOL
Anyway I already figured it all out. the problem here is not only changing the thermostat is changing the correct thermostat which is from Acura Dealership. I had replaced my thermostat and still had the overheating problem and bleed the system like no tomorrow and still with the same problem. It was long overdue to replace the water pump. Still with the same problem. I purchased the thermostat from a local auto part store suppose to be OEM and replaced it. Still with the same problem. My mechanic advised me to get it from Acura Dealership so I did and it worked no more overheating problem. At times it goes over the line a little mean that i have to bleed it a little more to get rid unwanted air in the system.

But thanks for your reply though.

Please advise others that OEM thermostat to purchase from Acura instead. Thanks.