The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum - View Single Post - Potential Legend Buyers Please Read This First "buyer Beware"
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 06-01-15, 02:57 AM   #94 (permalink)
bchmiel

Car 1: 93 Acura Legend

My '93 Legend has an overheating problem right now and I'm not certain if it's the head gasket.

I've replaced the rad and it didn't help. I removed the thermostat and now I can drive about 70 km on the highway before it over heats.

I replaced the head gasket last summer (at 460,000 km) after I drove the car excessively while it was over heating, to the point where the engine seized and the car stalled, twice. Yes, I know. It was idiotic, I was planning on getting another car but ended up just fixing it.

I also replaced the head gasket 5 years ago (at 310,000 km) after I had floored the car on the highway. It down shifted, it took off and out came billows of white smoke. I took the heads off and sure enough, one of the rings around the cylinder was pushed out (BHG confirmed).

I've never had the heads machine because each time, I checked them as accurately as I could and I couldn't fit any of the feeler gauge tabs under the straight edge I used.

But do you really think the head gasket is gone again?! I've also read that the fins on the water pump corrode over time and become smaller therefore they are less able to pump water. I replaced the water pump and timing belt when I replaced the head gaskets at 310,000 km. Since my car will drive so far, I'm inclined to think it's the water pump. Any thoughts?

Last edited by bchmiel; 06-01-15 at 03:12 AM. Reason: added info
bchmiel is offline   Reply With Quote