Acura Legend Forum banner

Engine Problem, Maybe?

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RAP 
#1 ·
When I bought my car it was always serviced at ACURA and well maintained. I cannot afford to service it Acura, to be frank. Anyhow, the last time i had her up on the lift, I noticed a slow oil leak....not there 3 months ago. So, my mechanic takes a look and says that something needs to be tightened and that to get to the cracked/leaking seal I need to replace the timing belt and water pump...which were just done....my uncle is my mechanic and says it looks like an all day job....real pain in the ass....Does anyone have any ideas....some things to check before I have my uncle take apart my car....Thanks in advance.

BTW. I know I don't have much info. but I don't know much about cars. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
This sounds like your crank angle sensor potting compund is melting(common problem in the Legend). I've even got a picture of what it looks like. The black compound used in the sensor to protect the eletronics melts and runs down the front of the engine. Mine driped out around and on the oil filter. It looks like a wet oil leak at first but is actually a hardened gooey substance. It doesn't have to be changed now unless the electronic part of it is giving you problems. You can wait until the next time you have your TB/WP changed to replace it.

Does this sound like the problem

#7 · (Edited)
Would you believe that same sensor is still going strong at 222K? I looks bad and causes a mess but does it's job. If I was paying someone to do the maintenance I would have replaced it. I did notice that when the engine was overheating from the BHG the extra heat caused the black "goo" to drip more. I guess who ever
manufactures this part didn't realize it would be attached to something hot. Go figure?

#8 ·
Jetdoc said:
It was a mystery to me until I tore it down to replace the head gaskets. I've never noticed any problems with the way it runs due to this condition.

jetdoc
That sensor is a potentiometer and the Helm's gives the ohm values for a test with an ohm meter.

I was wondering if mixing some sort of filler material like bondo
or some other hard stuff would stick once pressed in the compartments of the coils?

Any ideas, anyone?

Napa sells the CKP sensor for 120 bucks, which is not a killer but
a waste if the device is not needed.

RAP:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.