The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum - View Single Post - Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here.
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 02-27-04, 02:21 AM   #162 (permalink)
Cole Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by Uoddy
HELP!..I have a 95 Sedan w/ 116k miles. I have had major cooling system issues for the past year. It's excatly what everyone else is describing with thier symptoms. I was looking for some advice on what to do...

Symptoms:

1)Needle Spikes to H...I get No Heat..when stopped

2) When I give the car gas...needle comes back down..some heat for about 10 minutes. Repeats ever time i stop

3) Have to fill radiator with coolant about every other day with about 1/5 gal.

4)Coolant smell inside the car

5) Excessive white smoke from exhast even when car is shut off after driving

What I have done so far:

Acura replaced raditor, waterpump, timing belt, hoses, and thermostat twice

It was ok for about two months...then all the problems came back.

Now I am assured it must be a BHG...am I right?

My question: I have decided to replace the entire engine? Can I be assured the problem won't come back? Is there anything underlying issues with the cooling system such as sensors or computer issues that I should get done as well as the engine replacment? Before I make this big investment I wanted some feedback and thoughts on what I could expect. Also if anyone has had their engine replaced what is the estimate cost I should expect of this job? I appreciate all the feedback I can get...thanx!!!

Uoddy

Hey welcome to the forum. sorry you had to start off with a post like that...

The fact that you have a coolant smell inside the car and white smoke out the exhaust, leads me to belive you have a bad heater core and Blown Head Gasket.

You can get engines off ebay, and total cost of getting a new engine and swaping out the old one should be around $1300-$2000 (depending on how much you pay for the engine and the labor cost)

I would recomend using the search to see who has replaced their engines... I know a couple of people have done it, talk to them.

I would recomend starting off with checking the heater core.... it would be cheaper to fix/replace that first.... and then if the problem is still there, move on to the engine.