Acura Legend Forum banner

ADDCO Sway Bar shoulder bolt DIY

10K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  stevieray 
#1 · (Edited)
Aight. Since we are back home again here is the DIY for the extended shoulder bolt to use with the ADDCO sway bar:

Since the thread on the OEM shoulder bolt is not long enough to be able to completely tighten the nut onto the ADDCO sway bar, we are going to make a replacement shoulder bolt:

Materials: Two (2) M10-1.5 X 60 hex head bolts / grade 10.9 (or grade 8, if possible), two (2) M10-1.5 Stover lock nuts, two (2) ½" X 5/8" x 1" steel spacers, one (1) ½" x 3' hollow aluminum welding rod, two (2) 3/8" X 1 ¼" fender washers and two (2) 3/8" flat washers. All of these materials can be obtained at your local Lowe's or Home Depot although you may want to source the bolts and Stover lock nuts at a specialty bolt and screw shop.

1. Take one of the ½" X 5/8" X 1" steel spacers and try to slide the ½" X 3' aluminum welding rod down inside of it. If it will not slide in flush with the end of the spacer, tap the end of the spacer with a rubber mallet or regular hammer until the end of the rod is flush with the end of the spacer. Hacksaw the rod off even on the other end of the spacer and file down flush, if necessary.

Congratulations! You have just made the shoulder that is going to slide down the 1.5 X 60 hex head bolt and fit into the bushing. Before you slide the new shoulder onto the bolt, be sure to put one of the 3/8" X 1 ¼" fender washers on first. This is to keep the head of the bolt from pulling through the bushing.

2. Assuming that you have already removed the OEM sway bar & bolt, insert the new shoulder bolt into the bushing, again making sure that the 3/8" X 1" fender washer is on the wheel side of the bushing.

Be sure to take a file, Dremel or die grinder and enlarge/deburr the mounting hole on the ADDCO bar as the replacement bolt is slightly larger than the OEM. Mount the ADDCO bar & its new bushings, slide the new bolt thru the mounting hole, install a 3/8" flat washer & the Stover lock nut and you are almost done.

3. Repeat this process for the other side, make sure ALL of the bolts are properly tightened and/or torqued and you are good to go. Enjoy!

See less See more
#8 ·
Do you guys have a close up picture of both the end of the sway bar? Like the last picture(of the original thread) in which the sway bar is installed and tightened. "cause it seems like mine is not flushed to the rubber. There's a little bit gap.

#11 ·
alright, I installed mine already and I've taken pictures of it. I'll post the pics later. Thanks guys.

#12 · (Edited)
Here's what I used:
7/16"-14 x 2.5in Grade 8 Bolt-$0.64ea
7/16" hardened washer-$0.59 per bag(3pcs)
7/16" Split lock washer-$0.59 per bag(4pcs)
7/16" HSS Drill bit-$5.79ea.
7/16" coarse nut-$0.40(2pcs)
7/16" lock nut (with plastic inside)-$0.40(2pcs)
2pcs spacer(smaller) 2 pcs spacer(bigger than the other one)-$3.60
Here's the link to the pics http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3539415093
as you can see I put 2pcs. of nut at the end.(1 regular(Inner) 1 coarse(outer)
I haven't tried it yet so I can't make any comments yet. Maybe later.

#14 ·
I got it at Orchard Hardware Supply. The size of the spacers are 1/2 x 21/32 x1 need 2pcs and 3/8 x 1/2 x1 need 2pcs. You just need to open a little bit on the middle of both spacers in order for them to fit to the 7/16" bolt. Don't forget to put the large washer before you put the spacers. You need to drill the sway bar holes in order to fit the bolts.

#16 ·
I used two 3/8 x 1/2 x1" spacer and 1/2 x21 /32 x1" spacer. THe 3/8 first and the 1/2 second on top of the 3/8.

#20 ·
Just installed my rear sway bar. Def. recommend stevieray's DIY since you'll add less tention to the damper and the install will go a lot easier. Well, I didnt do that and just used brut force to attach the sucker. Took about 20minutes becasue my final shoulder bolt wasn't to keen on going into the hole. C-clamp did the trick though.
good diy

#26 · (Edited)
I want some how much is it..
Do you need those for the front too?

#27 ·
I want some how much is it..
Do you need thoose for the front too?
Ok no problem. I will make many in the next two week, and I will also include nylon insert self locking nuts and washers too.
These are for the rear sway bar only.
Shipping will be 10-15usd registered air.
No final price for the bolts yet. (~20usd)

#28 ·
lgnd, it goes without saying that these bolts are not a "small addition" to the ADDCO bar. I have always felt that my jury-rigged shoulder bolt was the weak link in that setup because I had to use that internal aluminum sleeve & suspected that it may wallow out over time. I would go so far as to say that anybody that has installed the ADDCO RSB needs to consider getting these from you.

Possible international group buy? That would be a first for this Forum---:thumbsup:

#29 · (Edited)
lgnd, it goes without saying that these bolts are not a "small addition" to the ADDCO bar. I have always felt that my jury-rigged shoulder bolt was the weak link in that setup because I had to use that internal aluminum sleeve & suspected that it may wallow out over time. I would go so far as to say that anybody that has installed the ADDCO RSB needs to consider getting these from you.

Possible international group buy? That would be a first for this Forum---:thumbsup:
Thanks! I currently have access to these bolts I ordered many and will machine lot. Fine thread (1.25mm) self locking nuts are on the way to me.
I wanna keep the price low. I'm thinking about a for sale topic. :angel:
I'm glad I can offer something for the community. :bowdown:

*update*

The first two set is galvanized :) the others are in the galvan shop. At least next week I can pack and ship out the bolts of course I will make a FS thread with prices. I just wanna inform you fellas the first sets bolts are coming. :giggle:
Now it's time to install my sways. :yumyum:

stock bolts, v1.0 bolts galvanized, v1.2 bolts after machining

v1.2 bolts has slightly more threads. Now I stop thread hijacking. :angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.