The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum - View Single Post - G2 Legend Stereo FAQ
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 10-30-04, 06:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pace

Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaAcuraMan
Anybody have success adding aftermarket or Honda headunits and keeping the steering wheel controls active?
I put an aftermarket deck into my 94 Legend and my steering wheel controls still work. Here's what you do. Buy a deck that uses a remote (obviously almost all of them do) and get a infrared remote adapter. What happens is that the sterring wheel controls are wired into the adapter and it's mounted somewhere inside the car so that it has a direct line of sight to the cd player. (I had mine mounted in the center console.) Then when you hit the steering wheel controls this adapter sends a signal to the cd player by use of the same kind of signal that the remote would use. It works pretty well and you will still be able to use the remote. I don't have much technical info about the stuff (I usually have to pay to put electronics into my car, I don't trust myself) but they're not that hard to find and the included instructions are pretty elaborate. Go to any reliable install shop and they should have some of the adapters for sale. Find out the brand you'd use and then buy it off of the internet. I got mine that way and saved about forty bucks. Then get it installed. I bought mine and got it installed for only like $120 bucks total.

Hope this helps.
Pace is offline   Reply With Quote