Acura Legend Forum banner

Cruizn the Extraterrestrial Highway

7K views 55 replies 34 participants last post by  LSATYD 
#1 · (Edited)

This morning's cruise is better suited to a story (all true, of course):

"Four o'clock in the morning. Miles of road continue to unwind in the vast wasteland of southern Nevada. My headlights pierce through the pitch-black night and illuminate the painted road lines like neon against the asphalt. The road is Highway 375 - the famed Extraterrestrial Highway, so named for its proximity to Area 51. Destination: Rachel, Nevada. Rachel is the closest civilization to Area 51, and boasts a population of nearly 100. I'm getting closer but can't help but be a little bit on edge because I am traveling unfamiliar highways in the middle of the night, and I haven't seen another vehicle for the past sixty miles at least…"

This morning I traveled to Rachel, Nevada. The town is the closest you can legally get to Area 51. The round-trip was 400 miles.

From an online article about Rachel:

Rachel, Nevada takes us to a small town 110 miles from Las Vegas, site of a formerly secret US Air Force installation known as Area 51. The base develops new planes such as the stealth bomber. The secrecy shrouding Area 51 has given rise to suspicions over the years, earning the town of Rachel (primarily a collection of trailer homes) the title "UFO Capital of the World," and Nevada State Highway 375 "Alien Highway". The film focuses on the everyday people of Rachel, once left alone to service the military, now the center of tourism and a publicity boom. There are enough stories and photos to persuade even the most die-hard skeptics that something extraterrestrial may be going on.

More info here:

http://rachel.dreamlandresort.com/

There's not much to take pictures of. There is the ever-famous "Little AL-E-INN" that I had to get pics of. And then there are the Extraterrestrial Highway signs which are pretty cool. I forgot to get a picture at the gas station, but it only had one pump and only 89 octane. lol

On to the pics I did take. I used the same backgrounds a lot because I didn't have much else to work with.

Population: Humans - 98, Aliens - ?

LOTS of open space without any people, buildings, or anything!

You probably noticed by now that I got my new spoiler (and a new back bumper) installed this week.

The spaceship has landed!!

Here's one of my favorites:

And of course, I did park there!

I don't know why my front tire looks out of round here... Weird.

There was dew on my gas door cap here. D'oh!

When the movie Independence Day was filmed in 1996, they put a time capsule in front of the A-LE-INN. Here's the placard and monument.

The next picture is (according to my map) one of the dirt roads that leads to Area 51. Had I gone any further, I would have been approached by armed security guards in Jeep Cherokees, and probably fined $600.

Current mileage as of today:

BTW, the Sarona roof wing/spoiler I recently purchased is for sale. I decided not to use it. Email me to inquire: tysonhugie at yahoo.com

See less See more
#4 ·
email sent....and yea...again

fabulous pics....I wanna go for a drive now

#5 ·
GrtOutdoorsAZ said:
email sent....and yea...again

fabulous pics....I wanna go for a drive now
Reply sent. For anyone wanting pics of the roof wing:

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72679

I paid $275 plus shipping and bought it direct from Sarona in New York.

I noticed that there is a (copycat?) version on Ebay right now for $280 shipped.

I would like to get $260 shipped. And FYI, it will not work on a sedan. We tried fitting it on a sedan last weekend at the Salt Lake City meet, and it doesn't fit. The rear window glass is a different shape on the coupes and sedans.

#7 ·
Such a beautiful Legend in such a beautiful place.

I've seen pictures of your previous adventures with the Legend and I admire the fact that you drive many miles, exploring different places, without worrying about the mileage. In fact, to you it's an honor.

Hopefully someday I will take mine out for an adventure, beyond the Bay Area.

Thanks for sharing.

#16 ·
For those of you that havent seen his car up close, you think it looks good in the pictures, its even hotter in person. Incredible car and pics Tyson! It really makes me want to go driving somewhere, anywhere.

#20 ·
^^^^^

^^^

okay road trip! Tyson, i can't say enough on how perfect your legend is...hell the guards may have let u in :D

Anyways if you are headed to IL,WI,MN, ID or whatever let me know, I willl want to go cruizn while i am young!

I have changed my sig for u ..

#21 ·
Ben, nice sig! I've never seen that one before. Did Phil take it? NICE! Ahhh memories... Can't wait 'til next year.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the comments (Ben, Ken, Pat, Jason, Sean, Ken M, Keith, Chris, Gerald, Hass -- and those whose names I don't know :)). The drive was definitely fun but I didn't see any aliens or UFOs :(.

BTW, Aaron (arnach) is helping me put together a huge gallery of all the Legend pics I've ever taken. I've got over 300 pictures uploaded right now and that's just scratching the surface. ;)

#24 ·
WOW MAN THATS AWSOME and a lil creepy do those people have life or life anywhere else and man i never new ur car had that much milage and it looks thqat nice WOW!!!!!

#26 ·
well done tyson.... why am i thinking you coupe have 80K on it ??? i know ... its damm to clean to look like 200K soon. Is there any magic behind that ? your coupe is always cleaner than the environment. You definitely need to come to FL next year for a meet with all the hurricanes we have here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.