The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum - View Single Post - Head Gasket D.I.Y.
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 02-26-06, 04:33 AM   #60 (permalink)
BlackBirdVQ

I'm new to these forums, but I work for Acura as a tech and did tons of these head gaskets as more and more Legends and RLs come in for these repairs.

Here is something I must stress bout doing this job on your own, take the heads to a reputable machine shop to get them tested for cracks. I've had 2 Legends and 2 RLs that each had one head cracked and coolant was leaking into the intake or exhaust ports on the head. Anyone in Chicagoland area whos looking for a excelent machine shop should give Weiner Machine (I don't have their # handy at the moment) shop a call, they will recondition your cylinder heads to that "like new" look and finish. Also they can fix severely warped cylinder heads for an extra charge. I have a 91 Legend Standard Model w/cloth interior that I bought for my fiancee off some old folks for 600 bux in mint shape, it needed a set of head gaskets. I pulled the job off in 6 hours and took a chance with the cylinder heads. Every car we do at the shop gets the heads sent out to Weiner for a head job, you simply can NOT take a chance of the heads being cracked and tell the customer after they spend 3K on the job they need to do this over again as the head is cracked.