Acura Legend Forum banner

Rear Struts Problem!

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  caguas4999 
#1 ·
I Got The Rear Struts Replaced Last Week, and i keep hearing a clinging noise coming from the back as if there is a loose bolt hitting something, but at the same time my struts are absorbing shocks fine, any idea what that noise could be from?

#8 ·
does matter what shocks you are running, when we did swifts setup recently we accidently left it to loose and it rattled and then noticed i did the same thing with my koni, you have to get the nut to the bottom of the thread and then tighten it just a little, else it might come loose after a while.

#11 ·
I also have or had a simular problem, the same noise and everything. About a year ago I replaced my suspension with new KYB's and the Eibach pro kit. During the winter months I was getting the same annoying sounds. However it has stopped know, maybe the laws of physics of expansion and contraction casused the problem during differnet Temps. I agree that the absorber washer could be loose, but on my situation I dont have an option of using an allen key. The top of my stut rods are almost round with two flat spots, one on each side of the rod. I cant get a good grip on it so I guess I will have to remove the rear stuts. Good Luck!
caguas4999 said:
I Got The Rear Struts Replaced Last Week, and i keep hearing a clinging noise coming from the back as if there is a loose bolt hitting something, but at the same time my struts are absorbing shocks fine, any idea what that noise could be from?

#13 ·
emaculate91ls said:
I also have or had a simular problem, the same noise and everything. About a year ago I replaced my suspension with new KYB's and the Eibach pro kit. During the winter months I was getting the same annoying sounds. However it has stopped know, maybe the laws of physics of expansion and contraction casused the problem during differnet Temps. I agree that the absorber washer could be loose, but on my situation I dont have an option of using an allen key. The top of my stut rods are almost round with two flat spots, one on each side of the rod. I cant get a good grip on it so I guess I will have to remove the rear stuts. Good Luck!
you gotta use locking pliers to hold the rob in place, ie vise grips, needle nose vise grips are the best to use, it a bitch, but if i'm not mistaking only the front has that and the rear have the allen key type, at least on koni, menroe, and stockers

#14 ·
If everything you try still doesn't fix the problem try replacing the bump stops. Yes, that was my problem believe it or not. When I redid my suspension the first time, the bump stops in the rear were in in sub par shape. I figured they are only bump stops so I reused them. I must have tightened and rebuilt the assembly many times with no luck getting rid off that rattle. I changed the bump stops and the rattle when away. Don't ask me what it was doing to cause the rattle but aat least it worked for me. Might as well try that as a last resport since you would have to disassemble the shocks to change them.

#15 ·
all the rubber fittings are on.. i dont know about the condition of the bump stop... it looked ok to me.. maybe when i get koni's i'll get some polyurethane ones or whatever its called.. just some new ones... i'll have to see if all that stuff rattles or moves around when i pull off the deck lid tomorrow. i'm pretty damn sure its tight as can be. i assembled it as tight as i could. if i get rear koni's and new bumpstops, set hte koni's to medium perch, i would think that it would stop the rattling.. which would be awesome

#17 ·
I Got The Problem Solved Thanks, the middle screw in Strut was not tightened at all...at ALL!!!i tightened it up and the stupid rattling noise has stopped thank god!!!Now is there any way to make the car sit higher from back, it is so much lower in the back than the front, and sometimes the tires rub when i hit bumps or take turns??????????????????????With My New 18's that is...

#18 ·
caguas4999 said:
I Got The Problem Solved Thanks, the middle screw in Strut was not tightened at all...at ALL!!!i tightened it up and the stupid rattling noise has stopped thank god!!!Now is there any way to make the car sit higher from back, it is so much lower in the back than the front, and sometimes the tires rub when i hit bumps or take turns??????????????????????With My New 18's that is...
if you have a system it will do this..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.