The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum - View Single Post - Head Gasket D.I.Y.
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 06-12-06, 02:43 AM   #106 (permalink)
Dethred

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgndkiller
I am in the process of getting a 95 Legend GS. Please can someone tell me what i should look for when i go to pick up the car. I was told to check the coolent level before i start the car take it for a high speed run and let it idal for a while when we get back and then look at the coolent level in the resoviore. Will a hard run of this nature catch a BHG. i will also look for the erratic idaling and keep an eye on the temp gauge. Does anyone have any other idea's on what else i should look at. Your help is highly appreciated.

To safely do that you better have a whole day. Always wait a few hours before opening the radiator filler cap to avoid serious injury. Just ask to take it out for 30 minutes. If he/she declines, ask if you can let it idle for 30 minutes after it reaches operating temps. If he/she declines they're hiding something. It can take as long as 20-25 minutes to manifest an air bubble even under normal driving.

-Check the fluid before starting it up, if the engine is cold
-Run engine for as long as possible.
-Check for fan activation
-Check for overheating, even if slight, at or past the 1/2 way mark

If you're still not sure, get a sample of the anti-freeze from the radiator after it ran for a while, and send it off to a shop or lab to be tested for hydrocarbons.