OBX Headers for 3.5RL [Archive] - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

: OBX Headers for 3.5RL

GrumpySteelMan
05-16-08, 06:54 AM
I've seen some mention here and there about the OBX headers fitting the 3.5RL

They're inexpensive so I'd like to grab a set, but any confirmation about suitability/modifications? The gaskets and bolt patterns appear the same. Honestly I have to admit I'm not sure what the differences are physically between the C32A and the C35A.

I would prefer someone to chime in that has already done it.

I know the primary tubes are 1-1/4" does anybody know the pipe diameter of the y-pipe and b-pipe? The math says the y-pipe diameter should be just under 2.25" so I would be happy to see that being so.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-13807109791991_1996_35581205

I had wondered why everybody complained about the y-pipe, but from looking at pictures, it's nasty. I read that the Y-pipe necks down to 2.25" but from the looks of the B-pipe and the cat-flange a 2.5" y and b pipe combo looks simple enough. Of course I'm not into 'simple.'

I'd like to hack off the Y pipe collector and flange and replace it with a 2.75" SS V-band Clamp.
http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/4/app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/VPID/2763839

From my personal battles with exhaust systems, I'd really like to run 2.75" at the y-pipe merge, but this really is depending on the initial pipe diameters and clearance. I would of course try to improve the 'y'ness of the y-pipe. I'd then put a smooth transition to 2.5" pipe.

This is all pure theory, since I don't have hard facts at the moment...after I get some facts, I'll make some choices. I'll probably plan to do a few of 'em.

Vic Cardenas
05-16-08, 01:37 PM
Telion has those on his C35 swap

Telion
05-16-08, 10:30 PM
Indeed I do and it fits and clears everything fine (just as fine as the C32a anyway) and as for the Y cut in a flowmaster y-pipe it is beautiful for teh price. Then you can run 2.5 from the Y-back.

Team LR
05-16-08, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=GrumpySteelMan;1272862]

Honestly I have to admit I'm not sure what the differences are physically between the C32A and the C35A.

I would prefer someone to chime in that has already done it.

the difference is that the block is slightly bigger but not by much that it would be noticeable

GrumpySteelMan
05-17-08, 07:59 PM
Is the block actually bigger or just a punched out C32A?

B+O
05-17-08, 08:26 PM
Is the block actually bigger or just a punched out C32A?

It's actually just a stroked up C32A. The rods are longer and the blocks deck height was raised to compensate for the longer stroke. it's up from 87 to 91mm

GrumpySteelMan
05-18-08, 06:35 AM
A real answer! Thanks my man.

Still we know the headers work on the C35A SWAP, but what about the KA9 chassis. I'd rather not find out they won't fit (that would be teh sux0rs) from underneath with bits and pieces mingled with blood and profanity.

B+O
05-18-08, 08:09 PM
A real answer! Thanks my man.

Still we know the headers work on the C35A SWAP, but what about the KA9 chassis. I'd rather not find out they won't fit (that would be teh sux0rs) from underneath with bits and pieces mingled with blood and profanity.

Well the MPYA transmission is the same exterior size as the M5DA that's used in the RL. In fact they're the same transmission with different plugs and a revised bell housing (to enclose the end of the balance shaft on the engine of the C35A)

To the best of my knowledge you shouldn't have TOO much trouble fitting it around the transmission (no more than a regular C35 swap), and the bulkhead of the KA7/UA2-3/KA9 are all pretty much the same with some slight differences in shifter location and bolt mount patterns...

Again, i haven't raised the RL up and looked under it, but i know they're shaped VERY similarly. If anything, you may have to break out the BFH and knock a small piece out the way, but i doubt you'll have to go even that far.

BTW, if you'rechanging the A-pipe, you're good anyway.

GrumpySteelMan
05-21-08, 07:00 AM
If anything, you may have to break out the BFH and knock a small piece out the way, but i doubt you'll have to go even that far.

How'd you know I had a BFH? :hitit:

3.5RL
05-22-08, 09:10 PM
hurry up and install that already!! let us know how many hp does it gains..

kotetu
10-06-08, 02:59 PM
has anyone actually installed the headers on an RL though? I wonder if the chassis or transmission, power steering, starter, or anything else would interfere with the OBX header.