So I am in the garage juicing my whip with nitrous (near future) [Archive] - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

: So I am in the garage juicing my whip with nitrous (near future)

GrumpySteelMan
07-11-08, 12:58 AM
Okay, fuck the bullshit kids.

I've decided to run two stages of nitrous on the RL. I'm still not wanting any buttons or switches in the cabin, but not having a purge has really hurt the sledgehammer hit I was used to from the juice. So I figure I'll shoot for a happy medium:

I'll run a small shot of nitrous at a low RPM to get motivated and to clear the gaseous nitrous from the lines, without blowing the tires away. Then the wet shot will come on and hit full force.

Also an engine that can handle 50hp at 3000rpm can generally hold 100hp at 6000rpm (it's all about combustion events). So instead of packing the big shot into the motor at my activation RPM down low at 2400rpm, with the strong possibility of traction issues, I'll have it come on at a more reasonable 3500rpm.

Specifics will be worked out based on tuning, but here is what I'm thinking:

30hp dry shot from 2100rpm-3500rpm

100hp wet shot from 3500-5900rpm

I can always stack the shots as well, so if I set the nitrous activation windows to overlap I can run 30-130hp instead of just 30 and 100. This would require more fuel tuning of the wet shot jet, I know.

I've got all the shit laying around to do this and more, so it's just a matter of getting into the garage and doing the damn thing.

Questions, comments, protests?

B+O
07-11-08, 01:04 AM
mmkay...

window...

With the window you'd shut down the 30hp until it was time for it again at a later RPM in the same gear I assume right?

GrumpySteelMan
07-11-08, 01:05 AM
above 3500rpm the second stage would be running alone, otherwise I could set the primary stage to run alongside, if I was so inclined.

I wouldn't expect the first stage to do much except at launch in first gear and just momentary action on a kickdown.

dasficktauf
07-11-08, 01:10 AM
are you a dentist? where are you gettin all this goofy gas?

i've always been afraid of nitrous. don't know anything about what it takes to run safely. and seen some motors grenade in pretty interesting ways.

you seem to know the deal though.. so i'll just wait for the videos.

GrumpySteelMan
07-11-08, 01:12 AM
Sadly the wallet is my source for the engine vitamins.

Hey dasficktauf, I grabbed a shirt in thailand that I figured you had to have, but they only had it in a medium....so....I'll mail it to you if you're not a big guy...and if you're a big guy I'll just send you a picture of it when I get home, haha.

dasficktauf
07-11-08, 01:16 AM
Sadly the wallet is my source for the engine vitamins.

Hey dasficktauf, I grabbed a shirt in thailand that I figured you had to have, but they only had it in a medium....so....I'll mail it to you if you're not a big guy...and if you're a big guy I'll just send you a picture of it when I get home, haha.

6 foot 1, 145 lbs.. yeah i'm friggin huge.

wait. you bought me a tshirt? did you know it was my bday or somethin? (next weds)

GrumpySteelMan
07-11-08, 01:28 AM
6 foot 1, 145 lbs.. yeah i'm friggin huge.

wait. you bought me a tshirt? did you know it was my bday or somethin? (next weds)

Yeah man a tshirt. No, I didn't know it was your bday, but you'll get it when you get it, get it?

PM me your address.

dasficktauf
07-11-08, 01:33 AM
Yeah man a tshirt. No, I didn't know it was your bday, but you'll get it when you get it, get it?

PM me your address.

YGPM, how exciting, i love surprises.

Telion
07-11-08, 01:59 AM
Ok, no controls in the engine bay I am guessing switchability to be fully functional at the activation of a switch or two (you do wanna be able to activate and deactivate it right? Outside of that based on your RPM points I am guessing that you are going to T vacuum switchs off you VIS solenoids and tune accordingly? details man details, iquiring minds wanna know? oh last question how will timing be addressed in normal driving conditions vs. conditions when the nitrous system is fully activated.

GrumpySteelMan
07-11-08, 02:04 AM
Ok, no controls in the engine bay I am guessing switchability to be fully functional at the activation of a switch or two (you do wanna be able to activate and deactivate it right? Outside of that based on your RPM points I am guessing that you are going to T vacuum switchs off you VIS solenoids and tune accordingly? details man details, iquiring minds wanna know? oh last question how will timing be addressed in normal driving conditions vs. conditions when the nitrous system is fully activated.

Read my FAQing FAQ! :rofl:

Seriously though, I'm using a two stage window switch with built in tps activation. It's a really trick unit. You can operate either stage independently or together. My nitrous controller is in the glovebox, I made a harness for it so I can unplug it and take it with me. :yes:

I did look at the VIS solenoids while I was in the service manual chasing wiring colors and pinouts, that would be a pretty damn easy way to go.

I'm not pulling any timing at this time. That's why I'm staying at <=100hp with cold plugs and tight gaps. Once I get around to fornicating with the ignition timing on the car, I'll run more nitrous...nitrous actually makes more power with less timing in many cases. True story.

WingZero=DaGhostnddrknes
07-11-08, 02:22 AM
hmmmmmm this sounds interesting

GrumpySteelMan
07-11-08, 03:35 AM
WZ, you have to be the lurkingest (made that word up) mofo on the planet.

You need to get into this forum with both feet and start posting about shit that matters.

You dig? Or I'm gonna come slap your roomate around some more, in public.

Jimbob22
07-11-08, 03:45 AM
can you gradually apply the 30hp shot? that would help at the lower rpm jetting, and control wheel spin with the help of the throttle.

GrumpySteelMan
07-11-08, 03:48 AM
can you gradually apply the 30hp shot? that would help at the lower rpm jetting, and control wheel spin with the help of the throttle.

Progressive is possible, but 30hp is such a low enrichment it won't matter.

Also since I have WOT activation, there won't be any pedaling the car with nitrous, there is no point. Just a waste of nitrous. I'll just tune out the wheelspin if there is any, which in previous testing on low nitrous levels, there is not.

Jimbob22
07-11-08, 03:53 AM
Progressive is possible, but 30hp is such a low enrichment it won't matter.

Also since I have WOT activation, there won't be any pedaling the car with nitrous, there is no point. Just a waste of nitrous. I'll just tune out the wheelspin if there is any, which in previous testing on low nitrous levels, there is not.

I see...

I don't play with properties that burn clear. so I wouldn't know, thanks for clearing that up. :thumbsup:

GrumpySteelMan
07-14-08, 02:10 AM
The work has begun.

Jimbob22
07-14-08, 02:43 AM
keep us updated with pics... do you have a purge system?

GrumpySteelMan
07-14-08, 04:27 AM
Have all the parts, but that's against my whole 'stealth in the cabin' idea.

Plus with the small shot coming on early it'll clear the lines in time for the sledgehammer.

Jimbob22
07-14-08, 11:12 AM
Have all the parts, but that's against my whole 'stealth in the cabin' idea.

Plus with the small shot coming on early it'll clear the lines in time for the sledgehammer.

not if its under the dash!!!

GrumpySteelMan
07-14-08, 05:10 PM
'under the dash' is a long uncomfortable reach in the RL.

Jimbob22
07-14-08, 10:01 PM
I see.