Acura Legend Forum banner

Help me make my pussy happy again.

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  The Crowing 
#1 ·
1984 Jaguar XJ6.

Ran when I bought it, and on the drive home, it stalled and eventually wouldn't start again.

Got it home, looked it over, and found nothing that wasn't a problem before.

Tested so far: Each plug wire gives spark, each injector is getting pulse from the harness. Nothing looks disconnected or disturbed. The engine cranks, but just refuses to fire. The inertia cutoff switch is down, working fine. The entire fuel circuit is well, DVOM and procedure tested.

I have an original Jaguar Service Manual, as well as a Haynes manual and AllData access. I plan to check compression and spark plug condition soon, and I have a new coolant temperature sensor and ari-flow meter on the way from Reboticon sometime soon here.

Here's something I found in my look over:

A loose plug down by the power steering pump. I traced it through it's harness, and came up here:

That little red circular thing mounted to the front there. I unplugged the connector and did a quick continuity test between the terminals there and my mystery plug:

A-yup. They connect. My question, wtf is that red thing, is it my problem, and where oh where does my mystery plug go?

Apologies for the picture quality. A friend has borrowed my camera so I had to use my cell phone.

Today, I took off the intake system, and behind the throttle plate I was attempting to clean, I found GAS! A HUGE pool of liquid gas!!

How?! I know the pistons are getting gas because I can smell fumes out the tail pipes... help?

See less See more
#2 ·
so you can't get started at all now? since it is getting air and fuel that means that the only thing left would be the ignition source. is it cranking at least? on my parents xj6 we had a problem kinda like this with the fuel pump. it would work for awhile and then stop turning over. some how the o2 sensor was making the car run way to rich so it wouldn't even start, i know it sounds odd but that is what it was. stumped the hell out of mechanic took a month to track the problem down.

#9 ·
At the risk of changing topics completely (since I really think it's unrelated to your starting issue), what terminals on the bright red relay is the mystery plug running to, and what's else is in that area.

Random connector hanging out at the front end, my hunch says fog light. :dunno:

#12 ·
I got a slightly different way of going about diagnosing things like this..

Id start by pulling the fuse from the fuel pump (assuming it is not the same fuse for injectors)

Then id crank it for a bit to get all that fuel out from behind the throttle body.

Then id spray starter fluid into the intake and see if i could get it to start with starter fluid. If you can, it means you have a problem with FPR or some crazy wiring problem causing it to run excessively rich on startup.

I have not returned this crazy MAF sensor with 8 pins yet. If you tell me where to put power and ground and where to measure voltage ill test its output and see if it is better.. (output should be constant since sensor would be out of car)

Did ya get all the parts i sent yet?

Test the red thing by following Jags terminal identification. Power and Ground to two terminals, power to another and output from a 4th. Run jumpers to the 3 you need wired and then test output on the 4th.

#16 ·
Think how much it could be worth if you pulled that hunk of crap they call an engine and transmission and dropped in an LS1 350/350 combo... They make a bolt up kit now and 350s are Sooo cheap compared to what they were 5 years ago.

Does that jag FPR work backward or do you think the one i sent is bad? It seemed clogged and i tried to run a wire through it but couldnt. is it closed completely unless vacuum is applied? That would be weird.

If you trace it to an FPR problem.. Use this link instead of a jag one.

Fuel Pressure Regulators - summitracing.com

#20 ·
IT'S ALIVE!

...but bleeding profusely with a midget kicking it in the shins.

Installed the A-F meter, and after a few cranks, it started right up.

But now, it's back to original problems: When in gear, it dies. If it idles too long, it will start to sputter, then eventually die.

But... it IS starting now.

...help?

#22 ·
It will run, then just instantly die. It will take 3-7 cranks, but it will start again, idle fine with an occasional misfire for about a minute, then immediately die. 3-7 cranks, fires, repeat.

We had filed the rotor and cap, as they were really, really corroded, so we're thinking the clearances must be just borderline on the working/not working line. I'll be buying rotor, cap, wires, and plugs tomorrow ASAP.

#23 ·
Interesting discovery today. The shop veteran got curious and came over to look at it. He started it, walked around to the trunk, and gave the PCM a light little tap. Total car failure, and can't get it restarted now. I think we have it! I'm going to crack open the PCM tonight to look for crapped out solder points, probably end up buying a new unit.

-------------------------------

After pulling the ECU, I opened it up, and it's a fucking MESS! You know the spray/coating they put on circuit boards to protect them? It was all melted and literally wet and gooey, pooled at the bottom of the ECU case. It looks, and excuse my crude-ness, but it looks like an elephant jizzed all over my ECU. So... I'll be getting a new one of those.

#24 ·
excuse my double crudeness but i have a feeling that an elephant has more than enough jizz to coat the entire ecu... The question is what did you do to the elephants to piss them off so bad? I've got the flu but ill try to get to the yard sunday and see if i can find ya a computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.