6 speed? hmmm [Archive] - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

: 6 speed? hmmm

dasficktauf
01-20-09, 09:03 PM
just out of curiosity. has anyone looked into. or attempted to swap a G2 legend 6 speed into a G1 RL?

curious because of how often the 3.5 is swapped into a G2 legend. we know motor and tranny bolt up just fine. so why not try to fab the rest of the manual periph's into an RL?

might be kinda cool. any thoughts?

i searched and couldn't find any mention of this.

sam o nela
01-20-09, 10:39 PM
Not that I know of but I agree it would be sweet...

I do know of a guy that swapped a TII/6 speed into his TL of the same vintage though...

6-speed 04 RL...:hitit:

dasficktauf
01-21-09, 12:36 AM
6-speed 04 RL...:hitit:

my thoughts exactly:woot:

Pinyix
01-21-09, 10:08 AM
I've seen this discussed before. General consensus is it would be a lot of work and the RL would be a dog to manual shift weighing in 2-300 lbs more than the legend. Guess we don't know for sure till we try though.

dasficktauf
01-21-09, 12:54 PM
I've seen this discussed before. General consensus is it would be a lot of work and the RL would be a dog to manual shift weighing in 2-300 lbs more than the legend. Guess we don't know for sure till we try though.

maybe keeping the stock luxury 6 speed clutch set up would help. i mean i doubt anyone would be doing it for race.. but say someone like me. who swore that his current legend would be the last auto he owned as long as both legs work.

OneBadNA1NSX
01-21-09, 08:01 PM
If I do decide to keep modding my RL, you can expect me to try to swap a 6spd :) I have quite a few people pushing me to do it. Not to mention, it'd free up some power!

Pinyix
01-21-09, 08:33 PM
If I do decide to keep modding my RL, you can expect me to try to swap a 6spd :) I have quite a few people pushing me to do it. Not to mention, it'd free up some power!

No denying it; shorter gears FTW!

bandoni™
01-21-09, 08:54 PM
i have too have thought about this, one big hurdle would be electrical. I am sure the ecu would have a fit over not being attached to an automatic. things like the speedometer and maybe even some emissions components might have a hard time. your gauge cluster would also be going nuts (no manual gauge cluster you could swap in) my hat is off to anyone who tries this swap.

badintentions
01-21-09, 10:13 PM

2-300 lbs would not make a difference! add a couple subs and another person in your legend and thats your 200-300 lb difference. but the 2nd gen legend looks a lot better. especially the coupes

dasficktauf
01-22-09, 12:46 AM
well get either sr5guy or telion to help with the ecu issues. i personally wouldn't dare to dig into that. i've always just replaced ecus from the junkyard until finding the right one (local yard labels terribly)

gauges. maybe not too much of an issue.. if g2 gauges can work with the 3.5.

am i missing something, but i thought both drive trains were pretty similar. i know the motors themselves are. but other wise.

i again will state. i do not have the funds to actually try this. but since i've never seen a thread on it.. maybe the honda techs/geniuses on this site putting their minds together could yield some great results.

ACL
01-22-09, 02:12 AM
Someone has done this already using all Legend parts and kept the auto ecu and everything worked out fine. Never spoke with the guy however. I am tempted since I have to replace my motor right now...

J Witherspoon
01-22-09, 09:02 AM
Someone has done this already using all Legend parts and kept the auto ecu and everything worked out fine. Never spoke with the guy however. I am tempted since I have to replace my motor right now...
I don't see how that would work. I can imagine the ECU being fired up and saying "WTF? where did these two extra gears come from?!?!?!" Not only that, the electrical systems are so much different and probably more complicated...

I'm mighty skeptical, borderline no that such a project would work.

It's an auto for a reason.

sap
01-22-09, 12:22 PM
I don't see how that would work. I can imagine the ECU being fired up and saying "WTF? where did these two extra gears come from?!?!?!" Not only that, the electrical systems are so much different and probably more complicated...

I'm mighty skeptical, borderline no that such a project would work.

It's an auto for a reason.

On the legends the difference between the auto and manual ECUs (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I've read wrong) is that the auto ECU has a separate circuit board for the transmission that can be detached or deactivated or something. In the MT legends the ECU never even knows what gear you're in (only knows neutral and reverse) so it'd have no idea that there's two extra gears.

Not that the RL ECU is necessarily the same as the legend ones (later ones must be OBDII, right?) I suspect you could get the Legend ECU to work anyway, though it'd likely take some sensor work :dunno:

NuclearSymphony
01-22-09, 12:55 PM
Not only that, but if I remember correctly the shifter doesn't fit in the RL's console without some serious modification. I believe the six-speed manual shifter sits farther forward than the RL's console shifter position (the RL being a longer car with a slightly larger cabin).

OneBadNA1NSX
01-22-09, 02:04 PM
Yes, from what i remember you have to cut the shifter gate and the surrounding area. meh, we'll see!
Another possibility I think would be swapping a NSX ecu and seeing what we can do with it...

kotetu
01-22-09, 04:27 PM
Yes, from what i remember you have to cut the shifter gate and the surrounding area. meh, we'll see!
Another possibility I think would be swapping a NSX ecu and seeing what we can do with it...

Eric chickened out when I first tried to get him a 6 speed setup for his RL. :giggle:

dasficktauf
01-22-09, 04:36 PM
linkages can be done. if a legend 6 speed ecu can run a 3.5 attached to a 6 speed tranny in a legend why not in an RL? especially with some help from the guys that know the mapping of these ecu's.

and shift linkages shouldn't be even close to the top of the list of problems. car2n did all hi nsx swap linkages.

if a 3.5 is worth putting in a g2 then i think a 6 speed is worth putting in a G3. (RL)

anyone have an rl with a trashed tranny you wanna trade for my 92 ls? so i can just start this super project.? haha

kotetu
01-22-09, 04:44 PM
The only problems should be electrical - gotta trick the ecu into ignoring automatic gear positiion sensor warnings, wire up the reverse lights and the lockout.

That should do it.

I did a manual swap in my prelude, it was pretty simple. Also, iirc, someone posted how to convert an automatic ecu to a manual by swapping a resistor - perhaps the same can be done on the RL ecu.

OneBadNA1NSX
01-22-09, 08:56 PM
Psssst Aaron, be quiet :)

ACL
01-24-09, 12:03 AM
Whats the big deal about using the auto ecu with a manual? Sure there is a computer that controls shifts, but it doesn't control fuel management. Anyway, I could have sworn I heard the guy that did the manual trans swap kept he stock ecu.

I agree with kotetu..