Supercharge the RL [Archive] - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

: Supercharge the RL

OLD_HATCH
03-04-09, 10:19 PM
Anyone here think of supercharging their RL? Ive been thinking about it lately and maybe doing like a vortech with intercooler, and of course custom mounting bracket. I figure with a programable ecu (piggyback or stand alone) It could be done for about 4 grand. maybe less if you got connections or get good condition used products.

The only thing that would worry me is the tranny. I figure about 80 extra horses or so depending on the setup so I dont know how it would handle it.

Another thing might be the tcs system but dont think it'd be a problem too much. Blow off valve would probably be needed because of it though.

Discuss:yes:

Boondock Saint
03-04-09, 11:36 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10438/InBeforeTheLock.gif

Vic Cardenas
03-04-09, 11:55 PM
These are threads about a former journalist at Honda Tuning that worked on an M90 for the RL but never completed it....

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f11/honda-tuning-oct2006-custom-supercharger-90744/

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f11/hondatuning-has-supercharged-rl-89496/

OLD_HATCH
03-05-09, 07:35 AM
@Boondock Saint..............................Cute

That article is for a roots style though. Tooo much fab work there. Im talking centrifugal.

I figure chuck the stock airbox, relocate the PS reservoir, and get a slim fan and that should free up enough room. There probably wouldnt be enough room for an intercooler right after the supercharger and between the throtle body(like vortech uses), but you could probably mount a smaller one in front of the ac condenser with the in/out on the same side to route it back torwards the throtthel body.

I might not have many posts here, but I'm no stranger to the aftermarket and getting things done. Especially custom things. They are my specialty.

AcidFire52
03-05-09, 12:17 PM
Search in the Legend Gen 2 forum, you will find all kinds of info on supercharging, and how challenging it is.

Vic Cardenas
03-05-09, 12:33 PM
This is what you're looking for... on a 3.2 but it's almost the same engine.
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f11/super-charger-arcadia-korea-129589/

OLD_HATCH
03-05-09, 02:19 PM
Thank you for pointing that thread out.

I posted here because this is the RL preformance forum and while its technically still a Legend its not the same chassis, engine, and tranny.(dont know about the tranny really)

If this has been an overly discussed topic for the previous year models than I am sorry for bringing up such a touchy subject.

If I ever supercharge my RL it will be with a sealed unit like prochargers or vortech etc. Supercharging is easier than turboing and Ive been there done that on several cars.

Thanks for the responses

Vic Cardenas
03-05-09, 02:57 PM
I'd do some research about the similarities of the C32 and the C35 and their respective transmissions. The engine bays are very similar too.

It may not be apples to apples but more like Granny Smith and Golden Delicious.

3.5RL
03-05-09, 08:41 PM
Do it! Let see how it turns out lol. If it works, i'm really interested. Seriously!

OLD_HATCH
03-06-09, 09:41 AM
If my current project car behaves and I dont have to spend any major money on it then I plan on this in maybe a year or so.

If I can I'll start collecting parts along the way until then. :D

B+O
03-09-09, 05:30 AM
Thank you for pointing that thread out.

I posted here because this is the RL preformance forum and while its technically still a Legend its not the same chassis, engine, and tranny.(dont know about the tranny really)

Thanks for the responses

That is incorrect

The KA9 is directly and almost intrinsically related to the KA7...It's pretty much the newer version of the KA7.
The engines are the same (save for top end and deckheight differences)
The Transmissions are mechanically the same (there's some electronic control differences)
The chassis are the same (there's some added rigidity in the KA9)

OLD_HATCH
03-09-09, 06:14 AM
I understand, and you are absolutely correct. I should have worded that response a little better. While that is common knowledge here at Acura-legend.com someone from the outside (or Legend noob like myself :) ) probably wont make that connection. Plus it never hurts to stimulate the RL forum right? ;)