Acura Legend Forum banner

Should've had a V8

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Monster757 
#1 ·
Well winter is coming around and my bikes are already rebuilt so I need a new project. I have an 88 Legend L coupe with a shot tranny and 230k miles. I also have around 4 94-97 Lincoln town cars that are just rotting away and used for parts when needed. When I build a car, it is always something that you either rarely see or have never seen. Therefore, I have came to the conclusion that my winter project will be putting a chipped and cammed 4.6L V8 into my tiny acura. I am not sure if I am going to go 5 speed or automatic transmission. I imagine it comes down to which one is more practical. I am most likely going to use a 8.8 rear end that I will cut to fit and throw in 373 gears. I'm not sure what I am going to do for suspension though. I know I'm going to have to put in latter bars in the rear but I'm afraid the stock won't hold up front because of the added weight from the motor.

If anybody has ever done a V8 swap, I'd appreciate your input. Or if you have any suggestions about anything I'd also appreciate it.

I'll post pics once I get started.

Will

#2 ·
Well winter is coming around and my bikes are already rebuilt so I need a new project. I have an 88 Legend L coupe with a shot tranny and 230k miles. I also have around 4 94-97 Lincoln town cars that are just rotting away and used for parts when needed. When I build a car, it is always something that you either rarely see or have never seen. Therefore, I have came to the conclusion that my winter project will be putting a chipped and cammed 4.6L V8 into my tiny acura. I am not sure if I am going to go 5 speed or automatic transmission. I imagine it comes down to which one is more practical. I am most likely going to use a 8.8 rear end that I will cut to fit and throw in 373 gears. I'm not sure what I am going to do for suspension though. I know I'm going to have to put in latter bars in the rear but I'm afraid the stock won't hold up front because of the added weight from the motor.

If anybody has ever done a V8 swap, I'd appreciate your input. Or if you have any suggestions about anything I'd also appreciate it.

I'll post pics once I get started.

Will
Sounds like an idea but alot of fab work and money.Ive seen alot of projects like this go no farther than the idea of it.But keep us updated if you really do go thru with it.

#3 ·
Well the main expense here for a lot of people would be paying somebody else to do it and buying the motor, rear, transmission, axles, driveshaft, mounts, electronics, gauges, brake lines and everything else I will be doing. But I have all of the above except a driveshaft and axles. My main reason for this is I don't want to let it sit and rot to nothing. It is completely rust free as of now and that is extremely rare for a car in Pennsylvania. The reason I choose a 4.6 is I am a Ford man so I know how to tear them down and build them back up. I also work on a lot of 4cyl honda motors like B18b's and c's and the sohc's as well. So originally I thought maybe putting in a LS non-vtec motor. Pistons, rods, injectors and a 50t turbo on about 15psi. But I love rear wheel drive.

Thanks for the input SOHC-FTW

#4 ·
im sure it can be done and im looking forward to seeing this.

#5 ·
It probably isn't going to be a couple day project (although most of you know this) but I am laid off so the money for the parts I do need is going to be from scrapping. But I do have the main ingredients. I should have the motor pulled and the 4.6 in soon though. I just need to figure out what to do about the tranny and rear end considering I don't have a lift that I can leave my car on. But thanks for the support L3dgkang!

#6 ·
This is going to be interesting. I know it can be done. Some people actually have Corvette motors in Civics. It just take a lot of fab and money. Good luck and keep us posted on the result.

#9 ·
Your 89' looks good man. So far all I've got done is the mustang K frame in and I've decided on a 351 windsor motor. It's a 5.8L that I'm going to eventually buy a 427 stroker kit for. I decided to go with that motor for the reason it's not fuel injected, and I don't have to worry about computers and that fun stuff. But stock specs for it is 290 hp and 300 or so ft. lbs. My goal for the motor with it being naturally aspirated is 650 to the wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.