Acura Legend Forum banner

Alternator on "99 RL"

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kzookid 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Started hearing a whining noise on my car yesterday that coincided with acceleration. Was due for an oil change so I asked them to take a listen to the sound. They said it was coming from my alternator and that it had an issue but it was unpredictable as to when it would die. Could go in a week or could go in a year but said it would go. Was quoted $300 for the re manufactured part and an hours labor. This was not at the Acura dealer so I assume it would be a bit more there. Anybody had any experience with that? My RL has 231000 miles and runs fine otherwise.

Thanks

#2 ·
I have a '97 RL and at about 175k miles, the (original) alternator started making the same noise; most likely the front bearing. About a week later the alternator bearing seized and ripped the alternator drive belt apart....generally speaking alternators will make that whining noise for much longer than a week before seizing, I just happened to be unlucky. Rock-Auto and Amazon sell reputable brands for well less than $200 shipped, and it was less than an hour job to change out. The alternator has one clipped-on electrical connection, one cable held on by a bolt, and two bolts holding it onto the mounting bracket. There's not a lot of room to work, but it is relatively easy. Now the starter....that's another story.

#4 ·
Thank You Rower and BigBoy. I was looking for the dim lights when I was idling low also but haven't noticed that. Now if you want to hear something funny, I stopped by Sears Automotive of all places to see if they would perform a free alternator check and the guy put a tester device on my altenator and said it was reading fine. I said I am hearing a whining noise from it and he said the whining noise is coming from your power steering belt because your fluid is low. He pointed to a resovoir right in the front of the engine and said go spend $3 and top your steering fluid off. He said you probably are hearing the sound when it is cold as it puts more stress on the belt when it is cold. I was like yeah, the sound comes and goes. So in conclusion, I am hoping I have a $3 fix and a second opinion saved me. I will post my findings here as that would have been an expensive lesson without lubricant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.