Supercharging a 97 rl (legnd here in oz) [Archive] - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

: Supercharging a 97 rl (legnd here in oz)

JamesG
04-19-05, 10:12 PM
Any you guys heard of this being done? I had a turbo type r teg but sold it to get the house thing. Anyways I really enjoy the 3.5 RL, but wouldnt mind some more grunt, like a supercharged motor can give. There is a s/c 350z round here and it seems to go quite nicely! Any help appreciated. Thanx.

Cole Austin
04-20-05, 12:05 AM
sorry man, nothing you can just pick up in a kit form.

any forced air induction on a second or third gen RL / Legend has to be custom.

I am sure you can get a custom turbo job done, but its gonna cost alot of money.

Ken1997tl
04-21-05, 03:45 AM
Turbocharging HAS been done (on a custom level) for the C32 engine. Supercharging.. I've never heard of.

JamesG
04-24-05, 10:22 AM
dont really want to go turbo, guesss i will have to bolt on a vortex blower or something from CAPA here. They have bolted on blowers to some weird things just wanted to know if any of you guys had heard of it being done. Are the auto trannies pretty tough?

draztic1011
04-26-05, 01:16 PM
you can just supercharge your RL ....Turbocharging it doesn't make any sense becaues turbo are best useful for manual cars (stick) and supercharge is for automatics you can put a turbo if you want but you'll get better performance by getting a supercharge

JamesG
04-27-05, 10:20 AM
I started bolting the s/c into my front cut to get mounts and clearences right. I rather the s/c over turbo to deliver that low down punch. I think it would suit the street alot better in a heavy car. I am after brutal acceleration but stealth looks. Had the crx/delsol vtec, too frantic, and my turbo type r teg was just plain cop-bait not too mention how much crap I broke @ 30+psi. The potential feels like its there in the c35a engine, just got to unlock it.

3g Legend
06-06-05, 05:47 PM
its seems to me that you can take a lof from the 2nd gen Legend and with some modification, add it to the RL.

JamesG
06-06-05, 11:43 PM
any sites info on forced induction legends that are handy? s/c specificly but i will look at anything to help. i noticed some gto/monaro guys over here doing the tt thing with the turbos mounted down under the car near the auto!

bdi_ent
06-08-05, 05:09 PM
I AM IN AGREEMENT! I TOO AM IN NEED OF MORE POWER! ANY OPTIONS ARE GREAT! i WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SUPERCHARGE! NOS IF NEEDED. YOU THINK AN ACCORD V-6 SUPERCHARGER FROM COMPTECH WOULD WORK ON THE 3.5 RL?

JamesG
06-14-05, 06:45 AM
Ok guys I think I have got it! I remember seeing a GTO with a pic of it on a hoist, anyway it got me thinking because the turbo was mounted wait for it.........WHERE THE REAR MUFFLER SHOULD HAVE BEEN! Anyway I got up at 3am this morning and cruised around the net. I ended up at www.ststurbo.com and started to read about this guy who had a whole new theory on turbo dynamics. What really got my attention was the videos of cars scorching down the quarter mile in a rapid fashion with a near stock look under the hood! Now I dont have to remind you that realestate aint exactly at a premium on an RL or in a LEGEND for that matter when it comes to under the hood so I looked into it further and I think I may just have solved my problem! Anyway they have a kit for the 3.5 litre Toyota Tacoma pickup so armed with their step by step install guide on a GTO, I have the basis for my RL turbo. www.funco-motorsports.com do all manner of forged internals for the 3.2 and 3.5 motors so you lucky s in the good ol USA best screw together something asap! I will source some of the bits from there if I cant get em here in Australia but its all systems go! I already have a turbo T3/T4 hybrid sitting here that will suit the RL perfect, spool up around 2800-3000 rpm with a converter should be fine! Run 7 PSI on my stock motor untill I source the bits for my JDM motor on the floor here to give her stronger internals. My Type R teg turbo was so obvious but this will be so much more fun! Acura 3.5 RL AKA........Stealth Bomber! Guys check the site and see what you think!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

97RevisedLegend
12-12-05, 11:25 PM
Nice concept, the "remote turbo". However; $4000 is quite a bit to put into a car I just spent $6500 on... Would be nice to see the reaction of the rice car drivers though....

GrumpySteelMan
10-07-07, 08:09 AM
you can just supercharge your RL ....Turbocharging it doesn't make any sense becaues turbo are best useful for manual cars (stick) and supercharge is for automatics you can put a turbo if you want but you'll get better performance by getting a supercharge

This is ignorant and totally wrong. You shouldn't be allowed to post, anywhere, about anything that matters. I hope the moderators ban you so I don't ever have to read another one of your retarded, misguided, and ultimately false statements. Go back to asking about chrome pillars for your car, and stay your peanut-sized raccoon (shiny-shiny me like a shiny-shiny!) brain away from the performance section.

Proper turbocharging is excellent on any vehicle. Trash-can turbo projects are usually bad on any vehicle and superchargers are too hard to even get on the car by most idiots, that makes them a safer bet (for the idiots).

The only real plus for superchargers are positive displacement/screw-type/roots-type blowers that have absolutely instant off-idle response. The centrif-style blowers have lag just like exhaust driven turbochargers.

There is no peer to a properly set up turbocharger system. IN FACT a turbo on an automatic car can be especially exciting because you can power-brake the car and generate boost at launch...which in an optimal setup effectively beats a crankshaft driven blower in all respects at the drag strip.

Turbochargers also have very little effect on fuel economy at cruise speeds...this cannot be said for superchargers (even with a bypass valve) because all the mass and drag of the parts is constantly on the crankshaft. Unless you have a toyota previa supercharger that has an A/C compressor style clutch, but that's just silly!

any sites info on forced induction legends that are handy? s/c specificly but i will look at anything to help. i noticed some gto/monaro guys over here doing the tt thing with the turbos mounted down under the car near the auto!

Oh yes, GTO, Monaro, Camaro. S&M-bondage-tight engine bays force drastic measures at times. These cars have largish v8 engines, so they have a lot more heat to waste by the long pipe runs.

My personal feelings about the rear-mount turbo systems:

I would avoid the extra distance if possible.

Please consider you have to run an electric oil return pump and lines to and back from the turbocharger, so if you hit something in the road that snags that line your engine could bleed itself dry of oil in no time flat. If your electric oil return pump breaks/loses power/etc it can at best fill your exhaust and/or intake pipes with oil, but at worst can destroy the seals in the turbo by forcing oil past the seals (there can be NO resistance to oil flow on the return/drain side of the turbo).

If you choose a water cooled turbo, which I would suggest...the same could happen to your cooling system.

The intake also ends up low to the ground and in more danger of sucking up water...which is the bad kind of sucking...I assure you.

These guys who run these rear mounts actually get nicer EGTs...most of the V8 guys run turbine housings that are too small (because they really should run T6 turbos, instead of T4s IMO)...but that shouldn't be a concern for you.

I already have a turbo T3/T4 hybrid sitting here that will suit the RL perfect, spool up around 2800-3000 rpm with a converter should be fine! Run 7 PSI on my stock motor untill I source the bits for my JDM motor on the floor here to give her stronger internals. My Type R teg turbo was so obvious but this will be so much more fun! Acura 3.5 RL AKA........Stealth Bomber! Guys check the site and see what you think!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

What are the specs on this turbo? 'Cause if it was great on your teggy, it's gonna be shite on your RL. It's all about matching things up. I'd be glad to help you with the technical aspects of your setup.

I think twin 60-trim T3s with .48 A/R housings would be nifty...not 'cause it would work well, but because it would be nifty. :angel:

Seriously a GT25 turbo with a .082 turbine would be perfect for your car. In an otherwise optimal setup you could see:

4psi ~325+bhp
6psi ~350+bhp
8psi ~380+bhp
10psi ~400+bhp
12psi ~420+bhp

How's that for awesome at any build level. Also the GT25 is a ballistic ball bearing turbo, while it is more expensive, it is the only way to fly.

sam o nela
10-07-07, 01:07 PM
Way to resurrect a nearly 2 year old dead thread :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

RedLegend92
10-07-07, 01:26 PM
lol I just noticed that too, he put all that time into the write up and now no one is gonna see it :snipe:

GrumpySteelMan
10-09-07, 11:54 PM
Hey now fellas, I used the search function. Maybe somebody else will come across it and not be so mislead. :fob:

blkACK
10-10-07, 12:00 AM
who r u and why arent you banned again yet?

PS-anybody that is into performance on this site knows well enough to seperate BS from the rest....

laylow
10-12-07, 10:46 AM
I 'm thinking about maybe using a procharger...Which is basically a compressor from a turbo with a pulley on it to drive the turbine fan......The great thing about it is that it requires no oil or coolant lines..It has it's own self contained oil to keep it lubricated and cool......after a specific period of time you just change it....There's a universal kit you can buy and they can build a procharger to whatever specs you need:turban: zThe plumbing for that is a whole nother thing along with mounting would all be custom but that's the fun part:ninja:

NZ_Legend
10-12-07, 07:25 PM
Hey now fellas, I used the search function. Maybe somebody else will come across it and not be so mislead. :fob:

+1

I'm glad you've brought up the old thread and written the information you have. I have a G1 at present but will one day be making an upgrade to a G2 or RL. I don't know a lot about turbocharging and reading your points was useful. It's hard for us non-mechanical types to discern BS from the truth so it's good to have guys on here who impart knowledge without condescending or looking down on other people like this sort of info should be known by everyone. Thanks again for writing the info, screw what some others might say :nutkick:

GrumpySteelMan
10-12-07, 09:33 PM
who r u and why arent you banned again yet?

PS-anybody that is into performance on this site knows well enough to seperate BS from the rest....

:fart:

sam o nela
10-13-07, 12:37 AM
Damn steelman is that your RL? Thats clean! Post up a pics thread sometime...

Ken
10-13-07, 04:43 AM
IN FACT a turbo on an automatic car can be especially exciting because you can power-brake the car and generate boost at launch...which in an optimal setup effectively beats a crankshaft driven blower in all respects at the drag strip.

That is until the ECU detects load being put on the engine and retards the timing....

GrumpySteelMan
10-16-07, 06:50 PM
Damn steelman is that your RL? Thats clean! Post up a pics thread sometime...

Yes sir, that is her (she's still under 50k miles). I'll make sure to post a pic thread shortly.

That is until the ECU detects load being put on the engine and retards the timing....

retarded ignition timing increases EGTs and therefore lowers the boost threshold...which increases the amount of boost available at launch.

OBVIOUSLY you didn't know that. :giggle:

B+O
10-23-07, 12:11 AM
Yes sir, that is her (she's still under 50k miles). I'll make sure to post a pic thread shortly.

retarded ignition timing increases EGTs and therefore lowers the boost threshold...which increases the amount of boost available at launch.

OBVIOUSLY you didn't know that. :giggle:

beyond the point of beneficial retardation.

But he was speaking specifically of the Legend. That's been the biggest issue with Legends and RLs. Managing the ECU. Home Brew Hacks don't work too well since the car is full of redundancy systems that make up for a lot of the hacks people do. Problem is the engine is flooded with fuel and timing is pretty much all but cut off.

dgandul
10-23-07, 06:05 AM
then you throw in the ems...... where the heck is the OP???

aww-shiet
01-19-08, 12:12 AM
ahh your wrong. a turbo will kill a auto tranny. why do you think most supercharged cars are auto except the cobalt. because autos have traction control, manuals dont. a turbo is good for a manual, because it takes time to spool up turbos so you dont have a jumpy car off the line. all gtp pontiacs are auto and supercharged and are really fast.

Telion
01-19-08, 12:50 AM
ah but a manual that had a controlable bypass valve electronically could assist in this department, you cold possibly even control it like the high or low VIS solenoids :) hmmm

aww-shiet
01-19-08, 12:52 AM
ah but a manual that had a controlable bypass valve electronically could assist in this department, you cold possibly even control it like the high or low VIS solenoids :) hmmm

still wouldnt it be all jumpy off the line because its at full boost already?

Telion
01-19-08, 12:58 AM
still wouldnt it be all jumpy off the line because its at full boost already?
No, because the bypass valve reduces the amount of psi by bypassing the rotors (roots style) it really allows the engine to suck in a portion of the air from the intake before it gets to the rotors reducing the psi. It is however designed to reduce the pressure under deceleratin or less need for boost conditions but I have a different agenda for it.

Fat Mexican
01-19-08, 01:05 AM

wait so ur telling me a Automatic 94 TT supra is not useful???
ahhhahahahh

B+O
01-19-08, 01:18 AM
ahh your wrong. a turbo will kill a auto tranny. why do you think most supercharged cars are auto except the cobalt. because autos have traction control, manuals dont. a turbo is good for a manual, because it takes time to spool up turbos so you dont have a jumpy car off the line. all gtp pontiacs are auto and supercharged and are really fast.

if that's the case a Grand National is utter retardation...

I haven't heard bull like that in a while. Sorry bro, but research is your best friend...

A turbo is best suited to automatics because you can spool it up on the line. Have you ever launched a turbo car before? Hell i have an Automatic Turbocharged car :lol: what kinda stuff are you on?

Automatics with traction control?! Tell that to the Lexus IS300 5spd. I'm almost positive the M3 manual has Traction control too, it's a manual transmission car....hell the Legend had TCS as a manual transmission :lol: what kinda stuff are you on about???

The fastest Turbocharged Drag Racers are Automatics...i just don't get your reasoning.

aww-shiet
01-19-08, 07:02 PM
if that's the case a Grand National is utter retardation...

I haven't heard bull like that in a while. Sorry bro, but research is your best friend...

A turbo is best suited to automatics because you can spool it up on the line. Have you ever launched a turbo car before? Hell i have an Automatic Turbocharged car :lol: what kinda stuff are you on?

Automatics with traction control?! Tell that to the Lexus IS300 5spd. I'm almost positive the M3 manual has Traction control too, it's a manual transmission car....hell the Legend had TCS as a manual transmission :lol: what kinda stuff are you on about???

The fastest Turbocharged Drag Racers are Automatics...i just don't get your reasoning.

i was smoking shit, sorry

GrumpySteelMan
03-21-08, 09:58 PM
I 'm thinking about maybe using a procharger...Which is basically a compressor from a turbo with a pulley on it to drive the turbine fan......The great thing about it is that it requires no oil or coolant lines..It has it's own self contained oil to keep it lubricated and cool......after a specific period of time you just change it....There's a universal kit you can buy and they can build a procharger to whatever specs you need:turban: zThe plumbing for that is a whole nother thing along with mounting would all be custom but that's the fun part:ninja:

Mounting would probably be a PITA. I'd love to see this happen. Any help I can offer, don't hesitate. [email protected]

beyond the point of beneficial retardation.

But he was speaking specifically of the Legend. That's been the biggest issue with Legends and RLs. Managing the ECU. Home Brew Hacks don't work too well since the car is full of redundancy systems that make up for a lot of the hacks people do. Problem is the engine is flooded with fuel and timing is pretty much all but cut off.

This is an interesting point. I know there is a ton of sophistication present, but there is always a way to beat the system. I have been a 4dr hot rod fanatic for a while, not excluding a nearly 400whp 2.3L Volvo (with nitrous). I also trust in getting to the source of the source of the source of the problem.

The advent of OBDII has made things tough for a lot of people. I will certainly continue researching, but I'm convinced that ECU sensed engine load especially can be managed with a little finesse. I'm not doing all that to my car, but I'll keep an eye out for threads that I can hopefully add some insight to. Ignition timing on the other hand can be hellacious to deal with because of the misfire routines in the ECU itself.

i was smoking shit, sorry

He answered his own statement. Nice. Still I want to add that autos are excellent for turbocharging, excellent for nitrous, excellent for drag racing. People don't realize that while a stock clutch in their cavalier can't handle 30 extra ft lbs. of torque the same stock auto can probably handle 50-75, even in a pedestrian application like said cavalier (total BS numbers, but you get the picture). Torque converters reduce driveline shock, many transmission shops can convert your factory converter into a higher stall for just a couple hundred bucks. There will be some sacrifice in fuel economy, but this is the performance section.

The Crowing
03-21-08, 10:33 PM
You need to chill.

B+O
03-22-08, 11:34 AM
Mounting would probably be a PITA. I'd love to see this happen. Any help I can offer, don't hesitate. [email protected]

This is an interesting point. I know there is a ton of sophistication present, but there is always a way to beat the system. I have been a 4dr hot rod fanatic for a while, not excluding a nearly 400whp 2.3L Volvo (with nitrous). I also trust in getting to the source of the source of the source of the problem.

The advent of OBDII has made things tough for a lot of people. I will certainly continue researching, but I'm convinced that ECU sensed engine load especially can be managed with a little finesse. I'm not doing all that to my car, but I'll keep an eye out for threads that I can hopefully add some insight to. Ignition timing on the other hand can be hellacious to deal with because of the misfire routines in the ECU itself.

SICK! How'd you get your B230 Tuned to 400hp?! I'm assuming you used the modern Red Block with the Piston squirters. You used Mega Squirt or something? Which turbo?

I've got a 93 944TIC i've been playing with. Barely touching 185whp, but the torque is ridiculous (something like 230lbs/ft) and she gets out of her own way right swiftly (i'm gearing up to install the SMT6).

3.5RL
03-23-08, 11:14 PM
How about STS universial turbo for the RL? Does anybody knows it will be safe to put a turbo on a RL?

aww-shiet
03-23-08, 11:20 PM
How about STS universial turbo for the RL? Does anybody knows it will be safe to put a turbo on a RL?

on a 1st gen its so crowded, this like barely any room. a rear end turbo setup is the best.

GrumpySteelMan
03-24-08, 11:21 PM
You need to chill.

Why is that buddy?

SICK! How'd you get your B230 Tuned to 400hp?! I'm assuming you used the modern Red Block with the Piston squirters. You used Mega Squirt or something? Which turbo?

I've got a 93 944TIC i've been playing with. Barely touching 185whp, but the torque is ridiculous (something like 230lbs/ft) and she gets out of her own way right swiftly (i'm gearing up to install the SMT6).

1995 944T here. Finally it was a T3/T04e 57-trim, stage 3 clipped turbine .48 a/r, nitrous, SMT6 made by perfect power, getting the ignition to work right was a bit tricky, had to run resistors and use the pull-up wire. The switchable maps and running nitrous with the aux injector driver map was choice. It was a drag with that turbo on the street, but it was just a toy, so it didn't matter.

The major barrier to power is the small 6cm turbine on the factory turbo. A close second is the small compressor.

If you want a cheap option you can find a 15G (TD04HL-15G-7) for about $250 used. You have to remove two studs from the turbine housing and drill the holes and it'll bolt to the factory manifold and downpipe if you use one from a 94-95 850T. Then you rotate the cold side and center section to match up all the factory connections (which all will fit if you have a mitsu TD04HL-13c-6cm, some of the 940s got the crappy little t25, so I can't speak for it). You have to make brackets to relocate the wastegate actuator...still for the money it is a real bang for the bucks mod.

The later model 850 turbos came with a much larger 2-3/4" turbine outlet. You have to build a downpipe to go with it, but it is much much better flowing. This is also true for the 18T/19Ts that came on the later R cars. They will all fit.

I used to modify the turbos for some of the guys over at turbobricks but after getting reverse scammed (Paypal blows) a couple times I quit doing it. If you decide to go that route I'd be glad to help you with the modification and the porting on the turbine inlet and wastegate flapper outlet (it really needs it).

Another big plus to using the 15g is that they have an adjustable arm on the wastegate actuator, so you can set your baseline boost at your pleasure.

If you want a really trick turbo setup (that won't require changing all the oil and coolant lines) you can find an old TD05H-12B and toss the old 12B compressor wheel off and then you can put any of the famous 16G/18G/20G wheels on it with a little machine work to the compressor housing. Plus the turbine itself is larger (hence the TD05) so it will have better exhaust flow when compared to an unported TD04.

If you're not planning on doing nitrous or anything really crazy you should look into simply chipping the ecu and ignition computer in the car. Some of the guys are now running 3" MAF and ford CFI injectors on the stock ecu! If you decide to go that route I think I have a 3" MAF laying around that you can have if you pay shipping. If you go over to turbobricks.com and look up Sam Collier (Roadracer4life) or Mike "Priest" Brown (thepriestmike) and tell 'em I (Eric Simpson, Turbobrick940) sent you, they'll make sure to point you the right directions.

The STS kit is an ok choice and you can safely turbocharge anything with enough work...BUT some of the experts on the Engine Management of the car can chime in. I doubt it would be easy to do it right.

on a 1st gen its so crowded, this like barely any room. a rear end turbo setup is the best.

No offense intended, but you're the guy who was previously offering baseless, incorrect advice in this very thread.

I say the rear end turbo is fine for large engines with lots of heat to waste but considering lag and component safety it would make sense to at least attempt a conventional turbo setup. There is no question you could put a rear mounted turbo on the car, but there is much much more to the equation than just component placement and plumbing.

The Crowing
03-25-08, 01:26 AM
Why is that buddy?

Because yes, while you do know what you're talking about, and yes, you give lots of great, credible information, you're a little on the vicious side towards others here. Remember that this is a car enthustiast forum, not a mechanics forum. I.E. not everone may be as mechanically inclined as others. In a small community like this, it's always better to make friends than enemies. Just food for thought.

GrumpySteelMan
03-25-08, 01:54 PM
Remember that this is a car enthustiast forum, not a mechanics forum. I.E. not everone may be as mechanically inclined as others. In a small community like this, it's always better to make friends than enemies. Just food for thought.

Sure thing. Yet an enthusiast who posts in the performance section, aside from the guy asking the questions should know what they are talking about or keep quiet. The misinformation floating around the net ends up costing newbies money, their only mode of transportation, or worse. I'm doing somebody a service by cutting through the BS whether you like it or not.

If I make an enemy because somebody doesn't know what they're talking about, yet presenting their incorrect-to-baseless ideas as facts, so be it. I don't associate with people like that anyway, so it wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

I would go so far as to say I'm better than most of the members here who go out of their way to call BS first and ask questions (or have to apologize) later. It doesn't matter if someone has or doesn't have, the information that gets exchanged matters. Maybe a year or three from now somebody does a search and finds a wealth of information that would have been otherwise squelched and censured because somebody with 6,000 posts decided to ignore the thread because it was 'BS.'

I'm only here to help, so why don't you make a friend instead of an enemy. :yes:

aww-shiet
03-25-08, 09:28 PM
Why is that buddy?

1995 944T here. Finally it was a T3/T04e 57-trim, stage 3 clipped turbine .48 a/r, nitrous, SMT6 made by perfect power, getting the ignition to work right was a bit tricky, had to run resistors and use the pull-up wire. The switchable maps and running nitrous with the aux injector driver map was choice. It was a drag with that turbo on the street, but it was just a toy, so it didn't matter.

The major barrier to power is the small 6cm turbine on the factory turbo. A close second is the small compressor.

If you want a cheap option you can find a 15G (TD04HL-15G-7) for about $250 used. You have to remove two studs from the turbine housing and drill the holes and it'll bolt to the factory manifold and downpipe if you use one from a 94-95 850T. Then you rotate the cold side and center section to match up all the factory connections (which all will fit if you have a mitsu TD04HL-13c-6cm, some of the 940s got the crappy little t25, so I can't speak for it). You have to make brackets to relocate the wastegate actuator...still for the money it is a real bang for the bucks mod.

The later model 850 turbos came with a much larger 2-3/4" turbine outlet. You have to build a downpipe to go with it, but it is much much better flowing. This is also true for the 18T/19Ts that came on the later R cars. They will all fit.

I used to modify the turbos for some of the guys over at turbobricks but after getting reverse scammed (Paypal blows) a couple times I quit doing it. If you decide to go that route I'd be glad to help you with the modification and the porting on the turbine inlet and wastegate flapper outlet (it really needs it).

Another big plus to using the 15g is that they have an adjustable arm on the wastegate actuator, so you can set your baseline boost at your pleasure.

If you want a really trick turbo setup (that won't require changing all the oil and coolant lines) you can find an old TD05H-12B and toss the old 12B compressor wheel off and then you can put any of the famous 16G/18G/20G wheels on it with a little machine work to the compressor housing. Plus the turbine itself is larger (hence the TD05) so it will have better exhaust flow when compared to an unported TD04.

If you're not planning on doing nitrous or anything really crazy you should look into simply chipping the ecu and ignition computer in the car. Some of the guys are now running 3" MAF and ford CFI injectors on the stock ecu! If you decide to go that route I think I have a 3" MAF laying around that you can have if you pay shipping. If you go over to turbobricks.com and look up Sam Collier (Roadracer4life) or Mike "Priest" Brown (thepriestmike) and tell 'em I (Eric Simpson, Turbobrick940) sent you, they'll make sure to point you the right directions.

The STS kit is an ok choice and you can safely turbocharge anything with enough work...BUT some of the experts on the Engine Management of the car can chime in. I doubt it would be easy to do it right.

No offense intended, but you're the guy who was previously offering baseless, incorrect advice in this very thread.

I say the rear end turbo is fine for large engines with lots of heat to waste but considering lag and component safety it would make sense to at least attempt a conventional turbo setup. There is no question you could put a rear mounted turbo on the car, but there is much much more to the equation than just component placement and plumbing.

wow dude, i never said anything to you, now your saying like you know everything. at one point in my life, i learn everything. that point hasnt reached its time. so when i say what i THINK is best, then people correct me and we all move on. but your like one of the few that just go back and push people around because they said something stupid.

i know RLs man, owned one. so when i say the engine bay is too crowded and rear end turbos are better (because there is little room for a s/c) that means i know its not going to work.

a rear end turbo will be the best for a legend. using a bigger turbo, piping isnt a problem. theres no lag.

buddy im not flipping off at you, but i dont have time for research. other people do, i dont.

later.

B+O
03-25-08, 10:49 PM
buddy im not flipping off at you, but i dont have time for research. other people do, i dont.

later.

That can cost people money right there. It's always good to know what you're doing/talking about before advising or cutting into your car.

There's been centrifugal superchargers installed in G2 engine bays, as well as a turbocharger installed close to the engine on an RL. It's not "impossible" per se. Just takes some grey matter and Green backs.

aww-shiet
03-26-08, 12:18 AM
That can cost people money right there. It's always good to know what you're doing/talking about before advising or cutting into your car.

There's been centrifugal superchargers installed in G2 engine bays, as well as a turbocharger installed close to the engine on an RL. It's not "impossible" per se. Just takes some grey matter and Green backs.

i know man. thats why i give advice on what i know. i just try to chip in into something harder so that i could learn from other guys.

GrumpySteelMan
03-26-08, 02:09 AM
wow dude, i never said anything to you, now your saying like you know everything. at one point in my life, i learn everything. that point hasnt reached its time. so when i say what i THINK is best, then people correct me and we all move on. but your like one of the few that just go back and push people around because they said something stupid.

Seriously no offense was intended. You are saying it was your opinion, but let me put it back into perspective for you and hopefully put this issue to rest.

You presented all that as fact. Nowhere did you add that any of that was simply a thought that you had. Obviously my problem is that you said that I was wrong about turbocharging being excellent for automatics...but you had no legitimate reason to say such a thing. How is that even a little helpful to anyone? You were corrected, then we all moved on, and then you chimed back in after we've already moved past the fact that you didn't really know what you were talking about on this subject.

i know RLs man, owned one. so when i say the engine bay is too crowded and rear end turbos are better (because there is little room for a s/c) that means i know its not going to work.

I'm not saying you don't know anything, but I am saying you shouldn't offer your opinions without making it obvious that they are just that. I've been all over my 2004 3.5RL today. I have decided it would be possible to route the plumbing so as to put the turbo itself where the airbox is. PERSONALLY I've done a similarly laid out single turbo install on a '95 Mustang 5.0 and it worked out just fine. Here is the kit itself. (http://www.turbochargedpower.com/79-93%20Mustang.htm) Of course it had to be modified to fit the different bodystyle, but it was pretty straightforward.

FOR THE RL (My answer to the rear-mounted turbo)

I would pull air from the fenderwell, compressed air outlet straight down through the sheetmetal to the intercooler, mounted behind the lower grille. I'd flip over the TCS throttle body if fitted and intake intercooled air from the driver's side. I would mount the external wastegate on the crossover pipe and dump towards the drivers side. Turbine inlet doglegged from factory manifolds forward, Turbine outlet 90 degrees out and down in front of accessories and back, maybe a little clearancing would be needed, but then route exhaust through the factory Y-pipe location back. No oil pump needed. No exposure of sensitive parts to the underside of the car and road hazards. Virtually zero chance of water entering the turbo inlet.

My suggestions aren't limited to "Do this it is the best/only way." Even if they were, there would be a solid reason for offering such a statement.

a rear end turbo will be the best for a legend. using a bigger turbo, piping isnt a problem. theres no lag.

The rear end turbo is not BEST for anything, but I've said that is my opinion. Sadly, this is where I must tell you again that you are wrong. Using a bigger turbo means MORE lag, not less, let alone none at all. This is due to the increased rotational mass (inertia of a physically larger i.e. heavier turbine/compressor wheels), a larger turbine housing (higher peak flow but reduced boost response due to the larger cross sectional area), or a higher flowing/clipped turbine wheel (trading total flow for 'leverage' against turbine vanes). Compressor housings alone have little effect of spool time.

This isn't about me being angry or upset at you at all. This is about presenting honest and complete information. If you don't have time for research, then maybe you should reconsider posting about stuff you haven't had time to learn yet. Take that time to research. You could find some information in that 30 seconds that is worth sharing and then you might decide when you find the extra time to write a well thought-out post and really help somebody.

This was never personal for me. This is the internet, the most impersonal backwards social vacuum ever created, where a nobody can be a real somebody, and a real somebody might not even know how to check their email. I truly believe that and yet I'm still here.

GSM

bigjussin
04-23-08, 04:09 PM
has anyone else seen the articles from Honda-Tuning magazine where they are custom building an RL blower kit, using an Eton M90 from Thunderturd supercoupe?

the issue is a few months back where they started, but have yet to follow up on their site with it..i will post exact pages and issue when i get home from class

GrumpySteelMan
04-23-08, 07:56 PM
That would be an interesting read for sure.

3.5RL
04-23-08, 09:23 PM
I'll be waiting for you no matter what...so hurry up man lol

Telion
04-23-08, 11:12 PM
The article has been discussed for sure, I looked at it very closely ( I have it)for my own personal reasons :) and it did give a few calculations for the C35 engine but not too much can be pulled from it as it was a project where they really just briefly and vaguely discussed what they planned to do. personally I don't think there setup would have been as good as it could have been, hence why they possibly scrapped it.

GrumpySteelMan
04-23-08, 11:57 PM
What issue was it Telion? I'd like to get it just for fun...unless you could scan it in? :yes:

Telion
04-24-08, 07:50 PM
I will scan it for you I can't remember which issue it was but it was last year I think if you do a search on Eaton or M90 supercharged RL it will pull the thread that has the issue.

Edit here is the thread and it was the October of 06' issue
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f11/honda-tuning-oct2006-custom-supercharger-90744/

Spade
04-30-08, 08:14 PM
why wud you turbocharge an RL, Grumpysteelman?

what about lag and the fact that its an automatic car with a redline of less than 6K. if you were to push it, then it wud upshift, then where will you be? sitting in the nonboost zone for a second waiting for turbo Vtec to kick in?

supercharger wud be best for this car but its only purpose wud be to get in the passing lane and attempt to keep up with the E63 and M5 that just blew by you.

Telion
04-30-08, 10:13 PM
^for the average individual with the average RL and average knowlege this may be true but I think he can work around those issues. (Not saying your avg)

GrumpySteelMan
05-02-08, 07:01 AM

Why 'wud' you question my concise, well thought out posts in this thread if you can't be bothered to spell things properly? I honestly imagine ignorance is to blame, so just for fun I'm going to smoke you. Try to keep up.

what about lag and the fact that its an automatic car with a redline of less than 6K. if you were to push it, then it wud upshift, then where will you be? sitting in the nonboost zone for a second waiting for turbo Vtec to kick in?

What do you get if you don't have a turbo? Lag until redline and then more lag, because you never get any boost. Why is a turbo a good idea? Because off-idle torque is the enemy of a heavy front-wheel drive car... That is what a positive displacement blower is all about. If we're talking centrif, then the same RPM arguments could be made for both centrif blowers and turbos...oh wait, but I've seen Mustang Automatics with both...and they both worked, nicely...and they don't have 8k rpm redlines.

A turbo isn't anything like VTEC anyway, so I hope you're just trying to be cute.

Unless you have a moron of a monkey putting together your turbo system, it is easy to have a low boost threshold (this means 'lag' time) and a reasonable power increase in absolutely any car. Don't you think those turbodiesel pickup trucks with automatics stay in boost through the upshifts? Well they do, and I promise that they're NOT revving up to 6k rpm. Now you'll tell me that those don't work either. (We won't even mention the Buick Grand National, v6 automatic that B+O brought up, because I'm sure you read this whole thread).

In FACT an automatic is an excellent platform for a turbo, instead of more lag there is no lag on the upshifts because the engine stays under load 100% of the time. There is no "nonboost zone" once you have overcome the boost threshold in an automatic car. THERE IS NONE. The turbo would have to be seriously mismatched for there to even be a drop in boost pressure for a street car. The obvious exception would be a GT42R powered EVO that runs with no wastegate, so boost is directly dependent on RPMs, but we're not talking 800hp and we're not talking about running with no wastegate, so that is out.

Quite simply, and I'll make this VERY simple for you. Take this turbo:
T3/T04B 60-1, .63 A/R turbine housing, Stage 3 turbine wheel.
Put it on an RL with a properly sized intercooler, 3" exhaust, and get the engine management right, and it would rock the house. At 10psi you could support 300-400hp depending on supporting mods, and at 15psi 400-450bhp. I would expect full boost at 2300rpm which is right where the torque converter stall is...it couldn't be more perfect than that.

If you have even the smallest bit of intelligent insight, I'd like to hear it, but since I'm sure you 'wud' have said something intelligent already I'll continue.

supercharger wud be best for this car but its only purpose wud be to get in the passing lane and attempt to keep up with the E63 and M5 that just blew by you.

They can blow me all they want, and so can you. Cheers! :beerchug:

B+O
05-02-08, 10:20 AM

Dude i answered your question 3 weeks ago, why'd you just ask it again?!

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f29/turbo-kit-v6-please-help-119855/#post1250591

You deserve any berating Grumpy gave you :lol:

Not only that, I told you RLs before 2005 don't have VTEC and you threw that in there again...good job!:thumbsup:

3.5RL
05-05-08, 11:47 PM
go check on cardomain.com there is a turbo RL 96 I think...dude I try to contact him but he doesn't response lol WTF.....

GrumpySteelMan
05-06-08, 12:51 AM
No response from this guy I imagine because he's full of shit. I hope this guy has an accident. Soon. I don't think it'll be in his RL though, since it probably doesn't run.

Full Of Shit Turbo RL (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/336494)

I see a 'turba' doesn't mean it works.

So let's ask ourselves about a few of his mods:

Venon 400 Piggyback ECU
RAZZZZZZZZZZ WRONG. That shit won't help tune a turbo car. Moron.

Hurst Line Loc kit
RAZZZZZZZZZZ WRONG. Why would you buy one of these for a FWD car? Is it that hard to do a FWD burnout? No.

Nitrous Express wet shot (150)
RAZZZZZZZZZZ Uh huh, turbo and 150 shot of nitrous...but...no internal engine mods...and a piggyback ecu that advances ignition timing.

Innovative T-63 turbo
Tial 35mm wastegate
Uh huh, just shut the fuck up. 700hp worth of turbo on that car? Nahhhhh.

Custom 3inch downpipe
Custom black heat coated intercooler piping
Custom means ugly and badly welded by his uncle "Freddy."

Custom spearco core front mount intercooler
Custom means eBay off the auction special.

B+O
05-06-08, 10:26 AM
LMAO that guy used to be a member here.

Me and Tyler spoke with him a while back. I have the AIM convo that Tnelson saved from maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Let me see if i can find it.

In the mean time, this is his profile.

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum - View Profile: KA9LegendTurbo (https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/members/ka9legendturbo-3283.html)