Coilovers, Brakes, and wheels for your 96-04 RL! [Archive] - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

: Coilovers, Brakes, and wheels for your 96-04 RL!

3g Legend
05-02-05, 03:38 PM
Ok, so I have some pictures of good stuff you want for your RL. They arent the best pictures, but better than just a thread with a bunch of words right? Feel free to ask question and I will try to answer them.

I just installed TEIN BASIC shocks and springs on my 1996 RL this past weekend. I had already installed a front STOPTECH brake kit a while back. This is a 14" rotor kit with a 4 piston caliper.

The wheels I am rolling on are 18x8 VOLK GTU, high type caliper to spoke clearance.

and now for the pix....

the car is actually about an inch lower than this old picture (no TEIN in this pic)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/p1f4f8af2a5c6b9f1998d863b56dff3e1/f6adc56c.jpg
front pix:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid167/pa46c3966a702f25d6a67fe06751bbf49/f443a856.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid167/p43eea607cdcafbdc7fdf35a335a9b983/f443a746.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid167/p35a021984a916b773a11f9a436f0d6de/f443a851.jpg

this is the rear shock:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid167/p7deafafbc52aa36b1e2f263504d0cf13/f443a846.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid167/p19c47bf1277c7d6ca76bb7dc6b0ee4c6/f443a811.jpg

opinions are welcome!

by the way, you cannot just call up TEIN USA and say "I want the BAISC kit for an Acura RL" they wont have a listing. Although I knows the guys there and they will probably figure out that I recomended you to them, Its better you have me help you purchase an coilovers for you car. I had to do a little retrofitting of another kit to fit the RL.

legendoflegends
05-10-05, 03:00 AM
looks great

Vinomack
09-07-05, 02:22 AM
How much for the spring/shock package? How has the cars handling been affected? I'd like to make my 98 RL handle a little less floaty.

3g Legend
09-07-05, 03:05 PM
How much for the spring/shock package? How has the cars handling been affected? I'd like to make my 98 RL handle a little less floaty.

That is exactly what I was going for. The coilover kit runs $750 retail, probably can get a discount somewhere.

I didn't like when I hit a bump on the freeway and the car oscillated up and down for a while. I wanted the car to hit the bump and come right back to stability without loosing the comfy luxury ride. The TEIN kit did the trick. Its still a little too soft to do too much "spirited driving" (I am a road racer) but I can already tell you I smoked my friend on a windy on-ramp with my car and him in his 96 Civic hatch with a B16a motor swap in it.

Right now my RL has about 3-3.5 degs of negative camber in the front and about -1 deg in the rear, which is perfect for handling in a FWD car; however, the tire wear sucks up front. I'll have to get camber adjusters for the front soon to bring it back to at most -1 so that I dont have to keep putting out for tires. Gas is expensive enough!

Vinomack
10-02-05, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info. Your exactly right when you describe how the car handles on the freeway. Do I purchase this setup from Tein directly or can you recommend a distributor?

3g Legend
10-13-05, 12:27 PM
if you call TEIN, they will give you your local distributor as they do not sell direct.

Lowsinthe20s
03-24-06, 02:59 PM
Do you have any part numbers off of the TEIN product? OR can you tell me what the struts and coilover where suppost to fit. Thanks

3g Legend
03-27-06, 09:57 PM
Tein part number: DSA64-LUSS2

Tein Basic for Acura TSX

Dv8
04-06-06, 04:16 PM
Tein part number: DSA64-LUSS2

Tein Basic for Acura TSX

Theres another member that did the TSX tein coilover install but on a legend. He said that there were modifications involed with the install, to what level? Did you have to mod it or did it fit right in? what prompted you to try the TSX teins? Teins for the TL or CL or any other acura model suspension work?

Thanks

~TRu Hybrid

Alperovich
04-06-06, 04:24 PM
Theres another member that did the TSX tein coilover install but on a legend. He said that there were modifications involed with the install, to what level? Did you have to mod it or did it fit right in? what prompted you to try the TSX teins? Teins for the TL or CL or any other acura model suspension work?

Thanks

~TRu Hybrid

and if you have to mod it, do you also ways have to upgrade with the tein for the TSX or, aany kit for the TSX work? will the a legend designed suspention fit back in?

Thanx,
Alex

misdeismo
04-06-06, 05:38 PM

Thanks

~TRu Hybrid
thats me. i chose them based on 3glegend's recommendation but I ran into a slight issue that I'm not sure he may have had. The fork that supports the shock on the legend is larger in diameter than the one for the tsx so when you use the tein setup, the shock will move around within the fork ONLY when you jack the car enough to remove the load for the shock. I didn't think it was a saftey hazard, but I dont want a mechanic to say he wont work on my car because he thinks my setup its dangerous. To remedy this I bought the shock forks for a 98-02 Accord (they are cheaper than the tsx ones) and now they fit perfect (they are bolt on). Another issue is the brake line is not secured to anything since the brackets are attached to the oem shocks. I haven't experienced any problems with this setup but for piece of mind I would like to fix this. I put them on last october/november and they seem to be holding up well. I'm testing them on NYC roads which are one of the worst in America so thats a good indication of their reliability. The basics are good for a sporty upgrade, its different from oem on bumpy roads but it is definitely bearable, I have no problems with them. I would suggest that you get the ss for damping adjustment, and I would increase the spring rate to 600-650 up front and 400-450 in the rear. I thought about the flexes but you have to pay for the pillowball mounts which wont fit (you could always sell them). Thats probably what I will do for my next set. Obviously this opens the door to using any tsx setup but I cant say for certain. Does that help? :D

Dv8
04-06-06, 07:03 PM
so its highly likley that the accord,cl and tl all share close to the same suspension? and since they are bigger cars than the tsx their shocks housing might actually be bigger in diameter.

I'm dying to get fully adjustable suspension and wouldnt hesitate getting the tein flex with a edfc if I knew they would fit in and work with little hassle.

~TRu Hybrid

misdeismo
04-06-06, 07:08 PM
i think its the rears that are the issue. I believe of the models you mentioned bolt up slightly differently than the tsx or legend. The tsx rear shock mounting is slightly smaller in width and needs a couple of spacers to fill out the space, other than that it is bolt on. I think an ideal setup would be tein flex+ jic pillow ball+ edfc.

3g Legend
04-06-06, 09:04 PM
The USDM Accord Basic shocks were longer than the TSX shocks. That was TEIN's recomendation to me when I went there to look at a few shocks. I chose the TSX ones over the Accords because the shock length was perfect.

Unfortunately with the 2nd Gen Legends, it sounds like the front shock fork diameter doesnt match the RLs...which is weird because most Hondas with front shock forks minus some Civics have the same diameter.

Anyway, anything is possible with modification to the upper mount or a custom upper mount. If you have access to a lathe and mill you're set!

btw misdeismo, you have any pix to post? I'd like to see, especially with the Accord forks. How much were they?

DV8: I happen to be working on a TSX one day and decided to take some measurements on the shocks and it so happened to have been really close to the RL.

misdeismo
04-06-06, 09:26 PM
The USDM Accord Basic shocks were longer than the TSX shocks. That was TEIN's recomendation to me when I went there to look at a few shocks. I chose the TSX ones over the Accords because the shock length was perfect.

Unfortunately with the 2nd Gen Legends, it sounds like the front shock fork diameter doesnt match the RLs...which is weird because most Hondas with front shock forks minus some Civics have the same diameter.

Anyway, anything is possible with modification to the upper mount or a custom upper mount. If you have access to a lathe and mill you're set!

btw misdeismo, you have any pix to post? I'd like to see, especially with the Accord forks. How much were they?

DV8: I happen to be working on a TSX one day and decided to take some measurements on the shocks and it so happened to have been really close to the RL.

they were about 35 a piece from majesty honda. i will post some pics on the weekend when I change my diff and tranny fluids.

3g Legend
04-06-06, 11:53 PM
they were about 35 a piece from majesty honda. i will post some pics on the weekend when I change my diff and tranny fluids.

I ask because I cut the tops of mine to lower the car another 3/8" but currently I raised the car up again. I don't like how the shoulder at the bottom of the shock is not resting against the top of the fork, instead the shocks are depending on the claming force of the fork to keep the shock from slipping thru, but its working.

97RL
04-09-06, 05:59 PM
Hey I'm looking to redo my shocks and that Tein replacement you done really looks good. What exactly did you mean by having to retrofit from another kit, and what was the part No. for the other kit.

3g Legend
04-09-06, 06:36 PM
Tein Basic for TSX...bolts right up. the part number is posted already on page 1. You just need to add washers to the rear lower mount.

91LegendCoupe
05-01-06, 04:42 PM
3g legend

did you used to have a g2 ka7 ka8 legend ?

if so how would you compare your curren tein basic set up to the older ka7 ka8 legend ?

3g Legend
05-01-06, 06:26 PM
Nope, never even ridden in a 2nd gen. I'd imagine the coupe is sportier than the 1st gen RL right? Stock to stock of course

91LegendCoupe
05-01-06, 11:44 PM
thanks 3g legend

so would you say the only add on modification you did with the tien basic-RL install was to add washers to the rear suspension lower mount ?

3g Legend
05-01-06, 11:49 PM
yup.

added the washers in the back and kept the OEM rubber isolator at the top of the spring.

in the front do not use the OEM rubber isolator and do not use the gold spring adaptor plate provided with the Tein kit. The isolator is used to keep noise down, but I dont have weird noises coming from them without it!

91LegendCoupe
05-02-06, 12:09 AM
yup.

added the washers in the back and kept the OEM rubber isolator at the top of the spring.

in the front do not use the OEM rubber isolator and do not use the gold spring adaptor plate provided with the Tein kit. The isolator is used to keep noise down, but I dont have weird noises coming from them without it!

thanks again 3g legend

knowing how misdesmo used the tein basic tsx coilovers for his g2legend and factoring in all the modifications he had to do, would u say it would be a better option to get the TSX Tein Basic set or a G2 (ka7 -ka8) legend koni-eibach set up for our RL?

seems like the Tein Basic coilovers for TSX would be a better option because of the minimal modifications needed.

3g Legend
05-02-06, 01:46 PM
yeah it did sounds like the Legend needed more work than the RL. I wonder how many RL's are rolling around on the TSX Basic's now?

91LegendCoupe
05-02-06, 01:54 PM
yeah it did sounds like the Legend needed more work than the RL. I wonder how many RL's are rolling around on the TSX Basic's now?

well if they are rollin around in the tsx tein basic's then they should be thankful for your risk and efforts.

I think I'm gonna go with the tein set up, thanks bro.

3g Legend
05-02-06, 03:15 PM
cool. I'm interested in seeing someone use the Tein Super Streets that have adjustabe damping. They are identical to the Basics but with the damping adjustability. MSRP goes up by $250.

91LegendCoupe
05-02-06, 06:12 PM
cool. I'm interested in seeing someone use the Tein Super Streets that have adjustabe damping. They are identical to the Basics but with the damping adjustability. MSRP goes up by $250.

is the adjustable damping for how soft or hard you want the ride?

I dunno, I was planning on sticking with the tein basic.

Hi-Legend
05-03-06, 11:50 PM
Here's a pic of my friend's RL in Japan. THere's actually quite a few suspention kit up there for the car.

http://img1.mixi.jp/photo/bbs_comm/48/66/20514866_8.jpg
http://img1.mixi.jp/photo/bbs/53/5/1785305_164.jpg

91LegendCoupe
05-09-06, 01:45 PM
I wonder if the 99 - 02 TL coilovers would be a better fit for our RL ?

91LegendCoupe
05-09-06, 05:43 PM
I ask because I cut the tops of mine to lower the car another 3/8" but currently I raised the car up again. I don't like how the shoulder at the bottom of the shock is not resting against the top of the fork, instead the shocks are depending on the claming force of the fork to keep the shock from slipping thru, but its working.

3g legend,

can u elaborate on this ?

is this happening because you cut the tops ?

does this mean the shock will rest on the fork properly if I don't cut the top ?

3g Legend
05-16-06, 09:19 PM
3g legend,

can u elaborate on this ?

is this happening because you cut the tops ?

does this mean the shock will rest on the fork properly if I don't cut the top ?

dont cut the tops of your forks like I did to get the car lower and the shock fits like stock.

misdeismo
05-16-06, 09:52 PM
dont cut the tops of your forks like I did to get the car lower and the shock fits like stock.

Where do you hook up the brakelines? To the knuckle? I thought that the rl, like the legend connected to brackets on the oem shocks.

3g Legend
05-16-06, 11:11 PM
use ty-wraps. no big deal. just make sure you dont let the lines go all over the place...mine never did.

pmendoza502
01-14-09, 05:33 AM
i have a 99 RL will the tsx teins be a bolt on affair? i was looking at the SS, Basic, Flex and Premium spec driving master comfort specs...

3.5RL
01-14-09, 04:21 PM
how come none of the pictures isn't showing? only red X, can you post the pic up again. thank you.

pmendoza502
05-25-09, 08:20 AM
so after a bit more searching, i find that the g2 legends suspension will fit an RL also
so my what im wondering is has anyone tried a combination of say a tsx shock with a g2 spring on a ka9 RL?

If i were to piece the suspension together my self rather than get a full coil over kit such as the tsx ss/basic/flex, would you recommend tsx or g2 springs mated with tsx or g2 shocks?

im thinking of going with the eibach pro kit, and i might have even seen an RL specific pro kit but i need to double check. I still want comfort with just a lower ride and just a tad bit stiffer so that my 225/50/17s dont rub!

(im also planning to eventually go with 18s or maybe even 19s but keeping the same basic overall diameter ie- 215/40/18, 215/30/19)

what are your recommendations?!

thx!

Rower4VT
06-05-09, 08:29 PM
Do you have a pre-2002 RL? I just put '02-'04 struts, coils, and rear sway bar on my '97 RL and the difference is very noticeable. Some how I doubt G2 or TSX coils are stiffer. Both are made for a lighter car. TSX coils would feel softer on an RL than they do on the TSX. If you want to go stiffer than '02-'04 RL coils, you will probably have to go with aftermarket coils. G2 Eibachs with G2 shocks would probably be pretty nice without breaking the bank.

pmendoza502
07-18-09, 01:49 AM
i'll have to see if i can get my hands on a 02-04 stock suspension