Ebay chip for RL [Archive] - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

: Ebay chip for RL

circuitR
08-07-06, 11:18 PM
Hey all, just wondering if anyone came across this thing, or even bought one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-Legend-TL-RL-CL-Performance-Speed-Chip-Module_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ012QQi temZ220012773786QQrdZ1

Its one of the only engine related performance parts I've found for the 1-2G RL's.

J Witherspoon
08-07-06, 11:39 PM
don't waste your money.

circuitR
08-07-06, 11:49 PM
don't waste your money.

LOL, yeah it looked kinda low-budge, not sure if I want something that looks like that in or around my car. Just wanted to know if someone has put one on though...unrelated, but wtf is iwht that Bayou chip for the Legends. I remember the Dinan chip, tried to get my Dad to put one on his coupe back in the day. Now some guy that I read doesn't even answer the phone has the rights to it? Arent there any programers on this board? ECU tuning is a relatively unexplored area it seems with these cars. I know most Honda engines are close to max performance form the factory, but squeezing out another 10-15hp on one would seem to make a diff, wouldnt it?

J Witherspoon
08-08-06, 02:10 AM
it adds a punch, but you need to add intake and exhaust to get the most of it. there is a guy that is working on his own chip. I dont know much about it because i didnt really follow the thread. however, there are aftermarket springs floating around but nothing engine performance related.

You can swap in the c35a from the '02-'04 RL
...or you can swap the manifold from the Type II C32a and get a performance boost there.

exhaust and intake are available too..but nothing as far as aftermarket support.

JMUDukesRL
10-02-06, 03:23 AM
So is the general consensus that these chips on ebay, from the guy who claims he made them while an engineer at nc state, aren't legite? I find it hard to believe i can add 20 hp to my 98 rl for 13 dollars on ebay. Usually if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

GrumpySteelMan
10-07-07, 06:54 AM
Most of these chips change the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor signals and/or the MAP/MAF signal with resistors, potentiometers, and/or voltage regulators. Literally pennies worth of parts. Buy a real tuning aid like an AFC, etc. These chips are generally garbage. You are not even really 'tuning' the car, suboptimal at best.