manual swap [Archive] - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

: manual swap

aww-shiet
01-04-07, 11:00 PM
has anyone ever did a manual swap on a RL. it would be nice to see one!

polish pete
01-04-07, 11:11 PM
yes its been done, but ive been advised by dv8 that it takes some serious work and fabrication to do it right. it can be done.

3g Legend
03-28-07, 07:07 PM
I don't know about serious work, but it will take some time. You do have to install the clutch pedal and its hard to put the holes in the firewall with the dashboard in place I think thats the hardest part. Pulling the motor out of the car is a normal thing to do, just takes time. The rear trans mount is out of place so there is some work to be done there to make a spacer. Two bell housing bolts dont line up and you just shrug that off. The shifter bolts up fairly easily from what I've seen and you use the stock auto ECU.

swift
04-02-07, 12:45 AM
i am curious if it has been done to RL..................not legend.

that would be swweeeeeeeeeeet. They would probably have to convert to OBD1 or something though.

3g Legend
04-02-07, 04:25 PM
Yes someone has done it.

Dv8
04-02-07, 07:39 PM
I don't know about serious work, but it will take some time. You do have to install the clutch pedal and its hard to put the holes in the firewall with the dashboard in place I think thats the hardest part. Pulling the motor out of the car is a normal thing to do, just takes time. The rear trans mount is out of place so there is some work to be done there to make a spacer. Two bell housing bolts dont line up and you just shrug that off. The shifter bolts up fairly easily from what I've seen and you use the stock auto ECU.

The electrical for the manual swap was the toughest. The clutch pedal assembly was tedious because of the room or lack thereof, but still not nearly as tough as I thought. Bolting a manual trans back to the engine and then getting the fork around the release bearing is a pain as always.

One thing I always keep in mind around these or any forums; most members dont do serious fab mechanic work, which this is. Not to say they cant, its just not common or else we'd have super custom Legends all over this forum.

~Dv8