2009 Acura RL - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Welcome to Acura-Legend.com > Front Page News

Front Page News This section contains Front Page News. Only Administrators may start new threads in this section.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-09, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Administrator
2009 Acura RL

If you're in the market for a luxury car that's a bit different, choices are slim. But I wager that Acura's RL may just be what you’re looking for — if you can forgive a few foibles.

Apparently, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But in this case I disagree. If you take a look at the "old" RL and the "new" RL, it's obvious that a quick restyling of the front and rear fascia was all Acura had in mind to make it look like its siblings. That mentality created two problems. First, the RL is no longer one of the most attractive modern luxury cars on sale. Second, it looks just like the better-selling (and better performing) TL SH-AWD — that also happens to be less expensive. Sales of the RL were never very strong, sure, but at least buyers could claim the extra went toward paying Acura's talented design team.

Where the extra cash goes to now, I don't know…oh wait, what about its toys?

More: 2009 Acura RL on AutoGuide.com
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-09, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
its just a shadow if it predecessors
MondiVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Insert key, crank, BHG.

Car 1: '92 LS "December"
Car 2: 6MT Canterbury Coupe

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
The new RL's charm is on the inside. Its got all the comfort the legend had originally (before the leather hardened and the pads wore) plus all the modern tech gadgets. I'm a tech nerd and it took me 3 days to figure out all the things this car did.

album2 :: RLTech.flv video by pinyix - Photobucket

I think OEM is the best look. I just don't happen to think any of the various arrangements of OEM got it exactly right all at once
Pinyix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-09, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
93 LEGEND LS 3.5L

Car 1: 93' Metalic Gold LS 3.5L Sedan
Car 2: 95' Red LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to divinchi Send a message via Yahoo to divinchi
Just My 2 Cents...

Any RL that has been made since 2005 has been too small or just too ugly, it’s true, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! However, I am not too sure what is in the mind of Acura/Honda when they design this knowing that they have horrible sales of this car. No one wants to spend 50k on a small car that claims it is a sedan, yes it may come with all the bells and whistles, but let’s face it, beauty sells…
The new Ford Taurus design is beautiful and will out sell this in a heartbeat, reason, because the new Taurus is beautiful and you can tell that Ford realized that beauty does indeed sell…
My own personal thought, I would rather spend thousands fix and updating my Legends then to buy a new RL or any other expensive car that is a good ride but ugly. And let’s face it, these RL’s are not holding any value, for this price, I would be looking at the new Audi’s that are much better car’s and way much better looking hands down….
Acura needs to realize that beauty does matter, which is what makes their TL’s/MDX their number one selling car’s! If they continue like this, they are going to suffer just like SABB….
Every single car maker has realized this, Ford has reshaped their entire car line so has ever other American car maker to sleeker and more eye catching designs, this RL was just another waste of money to be made and will fail just like the others…..
The only people that you ever seeing driving new RL’s are much older people and even that is rare….
Remus Exhaust/Catback/Webcams
OBX Racing Headers/Secret Weapon R Intake
Addco Sway bars
JDM Headlights/8000K H.I.D's
Infinity Kappa's
Brembo Slotted Rotors/GR BrakeLines
95LS Coupe Cherry
SR5Guy Chipped-Secret Weapon R Intake
KMS Bar-JDM Headlights-Remus EX
Premium R1 Concept Rotors/GR BrakeLines Infinity Kappa-Addco Sway Bars
JDM Folding Mirrors, JDM Alpha Touring Grill
divinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

the new design has NOTHING on this...

IMO they should have left this style for like 10 more years
MondiVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I dont know what Acura is thinking right now. There top of the line car is horrible compared to other car companies. I would get a Hyundai Genesis before I get the RL. Their design team needs to redo the entire Acura line. IMO.
CDUBB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDUBB1 View Post
I dont know what Acura is thinking right now. There top of the line car is horrible compared to other car companies. I would get a Hyundai Genesis before I get the RL. Their design team needs to redo the entire Acura line. IMO.
And rename it to Legend once it starts looking better.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Melbourne Blue Honda Legend
Car 2: 1989 Honda Legend
Car 3: 1989 Turbo Legend

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 89HondaLegend
I agree with all the comments above. I too am not enthused about the new RL/Legend and don't think I would buy one. Certainly not new anyway with massive depreciation and the customer service that you get (or don't get rather).

Honda had a great recipe for success with the first two generations. They put countless hours into developing the first generation ensuring they got a balance of luxury and power. The Legend had everything you needed and nothing you didn't.
The second generation proved to be even better with new Honda ideas such as the completely new 3.2 Litre V6 mounted longitudinally which drove the front wheels.
Unfortunately the Third generation failed to continue the Legend tradition. With a slightly larger motor going from 3.2 to 3.5 Litres, no more coupe and not much by the way of advancements, it was heavier and looked like an older persons car. The facelift in 1998 was just what the Legend needed to make it look like a luxury saloon once again, however no more major improvements had been applied.
2005 introduced the all new Legend with a 3.5 VTEC Motor and SH-AWD. The car had finally caught up to modern standards which shamed its predecessor with its all new design and technology.
Although there was nothing wrong with the post 1995 Legends they failed to excite. They were missing the soul which was once present and as such it became another car which is exceptionally good but not particularly intersting.

That is my impression of the Legend history and where I believe the new 'RL' sits at the moment. They need to style the body a bit more, make it a drivers car and put some soul back into it to make it the flagship it once was instead of just another car with leather and a sunroof.

There is nothing wrong with any of the Legends but in my opinion the first two generations is where it's at, everything after that was more mechanical rather than human motivated.

Having said all that I do like the look of the Legends grill and I also think the lines on the RL below are interestingly good

Love to Love the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarettcancerman
a legend is a good car but its not imortal when exposed to some one who puts blue windshield wipers and a racing stripe on it.
1989 Honda Legend Melbourne Blue - 203 000 Miles
1991 Honda Legend Maroon - 230 000 Miles

Pictures of My Legend
89HondaLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend Coupe
Car 2: '93 Accord *wrecked*

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4zy415 View Post
And rename it to Legend once it starts looking better.
x2
mtnbikkerkid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm very interested! I would love to find out more.
stisumvul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Welcome to Acura-Legend.com > Front Page News