Sebring Surprise: Acura Tops Audi & Peugeot for Pole Position - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Welcome to Acura-Legend.com > Front Page News

Front Page News This section contains Front Page News. Only Administrators may start new threads in this section.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-09, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Administrator
Sebring Surprise: Acura Tops Audi & Peugeot for Pole Position

Can a gasoline engine best a diesel one in endurance racing? It can during qualifying, as Acura proved by claiming the pole for the 12 Hours of Sebring race, set to take place tomorrow.

Scott Dixon shocked pretty much everyone on Thursday by piloting the de Ferran Motorsports Acura ARX-02a to the pole with a time of just 1:45.27. Neither Audi or Peugeot (both favored to claim the pole over Acura) could post a better lap. Impressively this pole position is the first for Acura, during it’s first ever race in the top-level LMP1 class.

"I've watched this race for many years and it's always been exciting so now it's great that I get to race here," Dixon said. "I've tested on the short track many times with IndyCar but never on the big track. So you can't help but grin from ear to ear to be excited to drive here."

"Overall it's been a great week especially now having Acura on the overall pole," Dixon said. "It was unexpected. We always shoot for the pole from the get-go. But realistically I thought we were only to be third or fourth. It was interesting when I heard I was going to qualify the car. I’m not sure why Gil picked me in the end, but I think all three of us could have done it."

The battle for pole was a close one, however, with Tom Kristensen just 0.082 seconds behind in the new Audi R15. In fact, the fiels was so close that all top-five qualifiers were just 0.281 seconds apart.

The third fastest time was posted by Christian Klien in one of the Peugeot 908 HDi coupes.

In the LMP2 class, Acura also claimed the top spot with Adrian Fernandez in the Lowe's Fernandez Racing Acura ARX-01b posting a 1:49.686.

As for the remainder of the classes, Corvette clinched the GT1 pole with a Oliver Gavin behind the wheel in what will be the last Sebring race for the C6.R as it retires later this season.

The final class, GT2 saw a Porsche on the pole with Dirk Werner in the Farnbacher Loles Racing Porsche GT3 RSR running a time 2:03.051.

More: Sebring Surprise: Acura Tops Audi & Peugeot for Pole Position on AutoGuide.com
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-09, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: KA7 Legend sedan, 5 speed manual

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Wow. Is this Acura's first year competing in LMP1? I knew they were doing reasonably well in LMP2. I'm waiting for race results =)

-8000K HID low-beams/PIAA Spark 8000 high-beams/PIAA Plasma GT-X corners
-Type II brakes/some weight reduction/new tires every 4-6 months
-NA1 NSX wheels: Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/50V-16R in front, Kumho Ecsta ASX 205/60V-15R in rear
-Custom built six-puck kevlar clutch/Lightened (aluminum) pulleys
-[Mugen/Showa] suspension with remote-adjustable dampers
-C35A1/C32A1 hybrid swap; smog legal (by GreenLight Auto)
FF Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Administrator
I watched a show over the weekend about the car. Nice. They even put the same size tires front and back to allow for better handling. I think the Acura team is the only one to run that tire setup.

Nadeem
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Welcome to Acura-Legend.com > Front Page News