Throw back cars that you havent seen in a long time! - Page 4 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Gallery > Other Cars

Other Cars Post pictures of non-Legend/RL cars here!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-08, 12:05 AM   #46 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 GS Sedan Blk/Blk - Sold
Car 2: 91 CRX

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94legendcpe View Post
Thats because the rest have gone up in flames! They didn't call them 'Fiero' for nothing! I had two family members almost die in seperate car fires in Fieros; the only thing those were good for are the Lambo conversions.
ohhhhhh, that explains a lot... man that sucks, so there was never a recall or something like that?

Old 11-25-08, 12:10 AM   #47 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 18 reviews
^ Per wikipedia:

Engine fire reputation
Total production of the Pontiac Fiero over all 5 years was 370,168.[4] Regarding the number of cars which suffered an engine fire, we have the following two references, one from NHTSA and one from Pontiac Division.

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration...said it has received 148 complaints regarding [Pontiac Fieros catching fire] including reports of six injuries...Low levels of engine oil may cause a connecting rod to break; allowing oil to escape and come into contact with engine parts. The oil would catch on fire when it contacted the exhaust manifold or hot exhaust components...David Hudgens, a GM spokesman in Detroit... said, 'If you ran out of oil, and then that coupled with some aggressive driving perhaps, and maybe not changing the oil very often, you end up with a broken rod, and that's where the connecting rod came in, it is still the owners responsibility to check the oil.' "[5]

"GM tests have shown that running these 1984 cars with low engine oil level can cause connecting rod failure which may lead to an engine compartment fire...Pontiac is aware of 260 fires attributable to the condition, along with ten reported minor injuries."[6]

The larger of the two reported numbers of cars with fires (260), amounts to 0.07% of Fieros produced. The fires affected almost exclusively the 2.5 L engine, and mostly 1984 models. (Note that there may have been additional occurrences after the above reports were published.) The primary cause of engine fires was a batch of poorly cast connecting rods which failed when the oil level became too low. The faulty connecting rods were produced in GM's Saginaw plant. The theory is that the sports car styling attracted buyers who would drive the car hard, most notedly over-revving the engine. Another factor was the misprinted three quart oil capacity, the actual oil capacity was 4 1/2 quarts but a misprint in the dipsticks and the owners manuals lead to people running three quarts and perhaps a leaky valve cover gasket which would allow the oil level to decline over time to a dangerously low level. If the proper oil level was not maintained, the bearings could seize, snapping the porous castings of the connecting rods resulting in punched holes in the engine block, thus spraying oil onto hot exhaust components where it could ignite.

Most vehicles existing today have been serviced by GM during one of the safety recalls on the car. On the fire-related recall, shields and drip-trays were added to prevent leaking fluids from contacting hot surfaces. The presence of drip shields between the engine block and the exhaust manifold are a good clue that the car was retrofitted. The addition of the longer AC Delco PF51 oil filter and a re calibrated dipstick added extra oil capacity to the oiling system, and enabled running 4 quarts of oil in the crankcase instead of 3 quarts to help prevent oil starvation to the rods. Certain vehicles had their connecting rods or entire block replaced.

Another theory is that some fires may have been due to the engine wiring harness being located in the center of the engine bay above the exhaust manifold, where the heat could theoretically melt and ignite the wiring. Also, the 1984 model had a magnesium grille over this area. In later models, this was improved to some degree with much better heat shielding wrapped around the wiring harness.

A third cause of fires was due to the method used to cast the engine block and possibly overtorqued head bolts. Some engines developed cracks in the block that would leak coolant and/or oil, sometimes accompanied by broken head bolts directly above the crack. The leak would spray coolant or oil onto the hot catalytic converter and exhaust manifold located at the front of the engine compartment resulting in fire. This was the cause in several cases.

1994 Tafetta White LS Coupe
JDM grille
15% all the way around
94legendcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 12:19 AM   #48 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 white L coupe 6spd
Car 2: GS400
Car 3: ae86

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to toyotas4life86

you know they are still around but damnn they were everywhere for a min
toyotas4life86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-08, 02:04 AM   #49 (permalink)
Spiral descent

Car 1: 1994 GS 6-speed
Car 2: 1996 A6

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to telafonic Send a message via Yahoo to telafonic Send a message via Skype™ to telafonic
I haven't seen one of these in a while;

Here's the last one made in Mexico;
Old 11-25-08, 11:59 AM   #50 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Coupe L wht/blk
Car 2: 91 Coupe LS wht/blk

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Vic Cardenas

I used to own one of these Oldsmobile Achieva Coupes, it had aftermarket dual exhaust from a corvete and the HO engine. It was a fun car. I only see sedans now.
Old 11-25-08, 12:28 PM   #51 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by telafonic View Post
I haven't seen one of these in a while;

Here's the last one made in Mexico;
SEE PAGE 2, HALF WAY DOWN!!
brodank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 01:45 PM   #52 (permalink)
Spiral descent

Send a message via MSN to telafonic Send a message via Yahoo to telafonic Send a message via Skype™ to telafonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodank View Post
SEE PAGE 2, HALF WAY DOWN!!
You mean page 1 half way down? Pic is so tiny looks like a sig. That's an interesting beetle, was it yours?

Did you know they made them till 2003 in Mexico? I knew they made them for a while but not that recently.
Old 11-25-08, 01:47 PM   #53 (permalink)
SGM / Type F

Send a message via Skype™ to samblaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by telafonic View Post
You mean page 1 half way down? That's an interesting beetle, was it yours?

Did you know they made them till 2003 in Mexico? I knew they made them for a while but not that recently.
My mechanic's got a customer with an 02 from Mexico that he services....weird to see on that looks, feels and smells so 'new'.
Sig by Double Glow
samblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 03:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
Spiral descent

^That is cool. I'm guessing they stopped exporting them here because of safety regulations. My bro had a '72, those doors were so thin!
Old 11-26-08, 02:38 AM   #55 (permalink)
2D Memory Champion, Airborne Virus Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Invasion of The Galactic Goobers Champion, Jewels Of Hell Champion

Car 1: 1994 Leg

iTrader Score: 50 reviews

Ack from Da BaK
MoisTiCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 06:31 AM   #56 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAUCY71 View Post
FOR THOSE WHO NEED TO SEE.

BLUE

MAROON OR

RED

MY FAVORITE!!
I actually had one of those Z-24's. Bought it brand new after I had to get rid of my new Z-28 350 because I got laid off one month after I bought it.

The Z-24 was white with white skirts. I remember I had to get those damn decals off of the bottom as soon as I got it home. My mom about poo'd herself when she came down to the garage and I was lying under my car with a hair dryer and a pearing knife. I took it the next day to tint the windows and it was one of prettiest Z's around. Early days of shaving I guess. It was one of my favorite cars even though I cried because I was losing the Camaro.

Hugs to all,
Kumi
08AspenMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 06:37 AM   #57 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Drop Dead Sexy!!!!

Here's a goody for all of you. Seriously, my best friend drove one in high school. It actually had a sunroof, but we had to have trash bags on the seats because it leaked so bad. Ahhhhhh....the places we drove that car and we _never_ got stuck.

I give you the.......drumroll please.....the AMC Pacer! TaDa!

Kumi
08AspenMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 08:19 AM   #58 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's

iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08AspenMom View Post
Here's a goody for all of you. Seriously, my best friend drove one in high school. It actually had a sunroof, but we had to have trash bags on the seats because it leaked so bad. Ahhhhhh....the places we drove that car and we _never_ got stuck.

Kumi
now thats a throw back for real lol good!

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 08:53 AM   #59 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend LS Sedan
Car 2: 2008 Grand Caravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoisTiCaL View Post

Here was mine...

Of course you don't see these around anymore because they all rusted away

'91 LS - Golden Glow Pearl Clearcoat w/ Ivory Leather 94K miles

Mods 7 Spoke OEM Machined Rims, Sunroof Tilt, Armrest w/ Cupholder, Iggee Seat Covers w/ Controls mod. UnMods Removed tint

Gallery Pictures Link

DIY's
1) How to Install Iggee Front Seat Covers
2) Iggee front seat covers w/ seat controls mod
91LSplendid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 09:05 AM   #60 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend LS Sedan
Car 2: 2008 Grand Caravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08AspenMom View Post

Kumi

Kumi - I almost posted the Pacer yesterday, too! I was researching pictures, when I actually had to get back to my real work ...

What I found funny, was that there was such a demand for the Pacer that they also made it in a Wagon version....

Of course anytime I remember the Pacer I also have to think about its better looking, but still funny looking cousin...the Gremlin

'91 LS - Golden Glow Pearl Clearcoat w/ Ivory Leather 94K miles

Mods 7 Spoke OEM Machined Rims, Sunroof Tilt, Armrest w/ Cupholder, Iggee Seat Covers w/ Controls mod. UnMods Removed tint

Gallery Pictures Link

DIY's
1) How to Install Iggee Front Seat Covers
2) Iggee front seat covers w/ seat controls mod
91LSplendid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Gallery > Other Cars