ECU/CHIP INFO - Page 58 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications from intake to suspension to rotors to etc. :)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-06, 01:19 PM   #856 (permalink)

Car 1: 92' C35 KA8 5spd
Car 2: 92' Ka8 5spd turbo

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to swift
a breakthrough to say the least! This should help you guys in creating a ROM that behaves more for the car it was designed for correct?
awesome.
swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-06, 01:45 PM   #857 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend GS Black/Black 6-speed

Send a message via ICQ to mweber88 Send a message via AIM to mweber88 Send a message via Yahoo to mweber88
Matt--

Don't you mean:

0000-3FFF and
4000-7FFF (not FFFF)? FFFF is the last register of 64k.

Yeah, I woke up this morning thinking "Damn... we need to bitwise-compare the auto to manual and we can certainly find the differences there."

Also, I SO want to drop my Type II into my car now and just throw my (modified) Type II ecu in and have FUN!

Now, this whole thing has me wondering what happens with a 64k chip (27c512). Does pin 27 high force it to readdress 32k? (8000-FFFF down to 0000-7FFF) Sorry, I haven't done enough research on PROM chips yet, and thought picking your brain would be a quick and dirty way to an answer. ;-)

I may have to write some code to do bitwise-comparison between the halves of a type II .bin today.

Let's chat again later, OK? I think we'll be finding some more cool stuff REAL soon (and then get with BEAV to really modify that interface).

Mike
mweber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 02:04 PM   #858 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

Car 1: 95 BMW 740I
Car 2: (860) 585-7200
Car 3: 91 LS Cpe 3.5 *sold*

iTrader Score: 44 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to sr5guy Send a message via AIM to sr5guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweber88 View Post
Matt--

Don't you mean:

0000-3FFF and
4000-7FFF (not FFFF)? FFFF is the last register of 64k.

Yeah, I woke up this morning thinking "Damn... we need to bitwise-compare the auto to manual and we can certainly find the differences there."

Also, I SO want to drop my Type II into my car now and just throw my (modified) Type II ecu in and have FUN!

Now, this whole thing has me wondering what happens with a 64k chip (27c512). Does pin 27 high force it to readdress 32k? (8000-FFFF down to 0000-7FFF) Sorry, I haven't done enough research on PROM chips yet, and thought picking your brain would be a quick and dirty way to an answer. ;-)

I may have to write some code to do bitwise-comparison between the halves of a type II .bin today.

Let's chat again later, OK? I think we'll be finding some more cool stuff REAL soon (and then get with BEAV to really modify that interface).

Mike
Thanks for pointing that out! I fixed it. The highest adress line for the 27SF512 is Pin 1, which is A15.

I'll spill the beans, heres a schematic to run two programs on the 27SF512. You could buy a Moates two-timer to do the same thing, but i prefer to save the $30.00. Make sure you lift pin 1 of the ROM chip out of the socket, otherwise you will short out your ECU.

Here's the programming instructions for the two-timer from Moates.net, the same applies to my (cheap) method above:

When using the 2Timer to switch between two 32k programs, you will want to program the chip directly (not through the 2Timer). Assuming you are using the 27SF512 chip, you can program two positions. 1) First, insert the 27SF512 chip into the BURN1 programmer and erase it followed by a blank check. 2) Load the first program from file to the buffer of the FlashBurn program. 3) For the first program (switch open to select), program the chip using chip addressing of 8000-FFFF, buffer addressing of 0000-FFFF. After the programming cycle, perform a verify step. 4) Load the second program from file to the buffer. 5) For the second program (switch wire grounded), use chip addressing 0000-7FFF and the same buffer addressing as before. Again, verify after this step. That's it! You can switch the wire to ground to select the 'lower' chip addressing location.

I tested this out somewhat yesterday, the Legend ECU allows you to change the programs while the engine is running, it doesn't set a CEL or anything. So that indicates that it is reading code on the fly, which means we could have usage for the Moates Ostrich flash rom system.

-Matt

Last edited by sr5guy; 11-19-06 at 02:23 PM.
sr5guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-06, 07:10 PM   #859 (permalink)

Car 1: C32A race engines

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5guy View Post
Thanks for pointing that out! I fixed it. The highest adress line for the 27SF512 is Pin 1, which is A15.

I'll spill the beans, heres a schematic to run two programs on the 27SF512. You could buy a Moates two-timer to do the same thing, but i prefer to save the $30.00. Make sure you lift pin 1 of the ROM chip out of the socket, otherwise you will short out your ECU.

Here's the programming instructions for the two-timer from Moates.net, the same applies to my (cheap) method above:

When using the 2Timer to switch between two 32k programs, you will want to program the chip directly (not through the 2Timer). Assuming you are using the 27SF512 chip, you can program two positions. 1) First, insert the 27SF512 chip into the BURN1 programmer and erase it followed by a blank check. 2) Load the first program from file to the buffer of the FlashBurn program. 3) For the first program (switch open to select), program the chip using chip addressing of 8000-FFFF, buffer addressing of 0000-FFFF. After the programming cycle, perform a verify step. 4) Load the second program from file to the buffer. 5) For the second program (switch wire grounded), use chip addressing 0000-7FFF and the same buffer addressing as before. Again, verify after this step. That's it! You can switch the wire to ground to select the 'lower' chip addressing location.

I tested this out somewhat yesterday, the Legend ECU allows you to change the programs while the engine is running, it doesn't set a CEL or anything. So that indicates that it is reading code on the fly, which means we could have usage for the Moates Ostrich flash rom system.

-Matt
You should really run that thru a flip-flop triggered of the CE signal
BUZZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 09:20 PM   #860 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZARD View Post
You should really run that thru a flip-flop triggered of the CE signal
Have a diagram/more info? I was under the assumption that the CE signal was only used when programming it. The above diagram has worked fine for me.

-Matt

Old 11-19-06, 10:01 PM   #861 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to mweber88 Send a message via AIM to mweber88 Send a message via Yahoo to mweber88
Well, I put a nice, clean, 4-pin connector into my ECU in the CN port like so:

I know it's hard to see, but you get the point.

Anyway, I didn't get anything coming out of it for examination in ECUControl. I'll be checking things out again, maybe Friday or so, to see if I had the correct pins. Then I'll see if I'm getting anything across the port or not. But for now, NOTHING.

Mike
Old 11-20-06, 02:53 AM   #862 (permalink)

Car 1: White 91 KA8 5spd W/3.5, TII Cams & Manifold
Car 2: White 91 KA8 JDM TII

iTrader Score: 45 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Telion Send a message via MSN to Telion Send a message via Yahoo to Telion
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweber88 View Post
Well, I put a nice, clean, 4-pin connector into my ECU in the CN port like so:

I know it's hard to see, but you get the point.

Anyway, I didn't get anything coming out of it for examination in ECUControl. I'll be checking things out again, maybe Friday or so, to see if I had the correct pins. Then I'll see if I'm getting anything across the port or not. But for now, NOTHING.

Mike

Wow SR5Guy Superfreakin Fantastic, you have certainly been busy, and EXCELLENT documentation. Mike I soldered in some pins to my 91-92 ECU and was able to send out data but I have no idea what it was saying (did this in the ignition on as well as when the car was on). Did you attempt to ground any of the wires to the ECU housing? Mine didn't do anything until I did this with the ground for the dongle. If yours has 3 wires you can tell them apart by the amount of signal they transmit TX vs. RX. vs Gnd. Can't remember how to tell the TX from the RX in terms of which puts out the stronger signal. I will post it if I find it.

Edit: here it is found it on the PGMFI forum (I think) A while back
Get your voltmeter out and measure the voltages.
If the TTL part works somewhat like the MAX232 and simliar, this should apply:
--The RX is likely to be around 2.5 volts. When you fiddle with it, you should see strange characters on the terminal screen.
--The TX will likely be close to 5 volts, and the average voltage will drop when you send data from the PC. (Bindegal @ PGMFI)

What I did was used the Nokia DKU-5 Dongle and plugged into my USB port and then used Hyperterminal in the capture mode to display what the ECU was kicking out. I am guessing that since I only have the 91-92 ECU, the info it kicked out was jiberish code. See if you can try a few pin variations while hooked up to Hyperterminal to see if it sends out any information.
3.5 TwinTurbo,TII springs & manifold,Telion Chip, HID's, D2 coilovers,Addco bars,TII calipers,RH C2's,R.J. shifter, 3"exhaust, hiflow cat,StageIII clutch,S&D rotors,KVR pads,Blackend damper,CF hood,AFC NEO,AEM FIC,Aluminum pulley,C&R Racing radiator,Garrett T3/T4 Turbos,Tial wastegates,Topfuel BOV,Fujita filters & Prosport guages. Pretty damn fast and far from done.

Last edited by Telion; 11-20-06 at 03:48 AM.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 05:02 AM   #863 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

bump ^^^

Don't know how this fell of the first page.

Old 01-11-07, 06:03 AM   #864 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

G1 Legend ECU Chipping (86-90) REPOST FROM G1 FORUM

It's not much and it's 20 Years too late. Better late than never, I guess. I never forgot my first love ;-).

FUT Sent his G1 ECU in for examination, I pulled the ROM chip out and read it and was able to cook up a quick definition file for this neat program, TunerPro. I haven’t tested this out, but there is no reason it shouldn't work. It would be great if someone could, or if someone local can bring up their G1 to be a guinea pig. If someone bought a Bayou chip for the G1 and is willing to send it in for examination, let me know in PM.

FUT's G1 ECU was supposedly chipped by Bayou, but I found that it was a socketed ECU with the stock chip inserted. Even worse, Bayou messed up the board in the process.

The checksum is automatically corrected when you save the .bin file, by the way.

Download TunerPro (Free) here:

http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/downloadApp.htm

Download the Tunerpro program above.
Download the attached files and unzip.
Install and Open TunerPro program.
Click XDF -> Open XDF.
Select G1Legend.XDF
Click File -> Open BIN.
Select PL2-A62.BIN.

If you are new to this, start here:
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=93859 There is an incredible amount of information in there including more info on TunerPro, and a very nice ECU chipping DIY that I made.

Techno-Babble:

MCU
8Bit Hitachi HD63B01XP MCU @ 1-2MHZ

MCU Datasheet:
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../datasheet.pdf

FIRST PART OF ROM:

The ROM chip is 64K (27C512), it is two identical 32KB programs stacked ontop of one another. It seems that most of the values are stored in Big Endian format. There were quite a few similarities to the G2 Legend ECU, so it made it easy to figure out.

6026-604C = RPM Scalars? 16Bit data

604E-62F4 Fuel Map 1 17x20 (MAPxRPM) 16birt Raw Data
62F6-659C Fuel Map 2 17x20 (MAPxRPM) 16bit Raw Data
659E-6844 Fuel Map 3 17x20 (MAPxRPM) 16bit Raw Data
6846-6AEC Fuel Map 4 17x20 (MAPxRPM) 16bit Raw Data

6D96-6EE9 Ignition Map 1 17X20 (MAPxRPM) 8bit with calculation
6EEA-703D Ignition Map 2 17X20 (MAPxRPM) 8bit with calculation
703E-7191 Ignition Map 3 17X20 (MAPxRPM) 8bit with calculation

Checksum:
Standard 8 bit checksum, located at 0x00#1 = 0002-7FFF (0001-7FFF = 0)

SECOND PART OF ROM:

E026-E04C = RPM Scalars? 16Bit data

E04E-E2F4 Fuel Map 1 17x20 (MAPxRPM) 16birt Raw Data
E2F6-E59C Fuel Map 2 17x20 (MAPxRPM) 16bit Raw Data
E59E-E844 Fuel Map 3 17x20 (MAPxRPM) 16bit Raw Data
E846-EAEC Fuel Map 4 17x20 (MAPxRPM) 16bit Raw Data

ED96-EEE9 Ignition Map 1 17X20 (MAPxRPM) 8bit with calculation
EEEA-F03D Ignition Map 2 17X20 (MAPxRPM) 8bit with calculation
F03E-F191 Ignition Map 3 17X20 (MAPxRPM) 8bit with calculation

Checksum:
Standard 8 bit checksum, located at 0x00#1 = 8002-FFFF (8001-FFFF = 0)

I need to figure out the calculations for the RPM first so that I can find the fuel cutoff (rev-limiter). Lets see how many are interested and we'll go from there.

SEE THIS THREAD TO DOWNLOAD THE ATTACHMENTS:
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=96370

-Matt

Old 02-04-07, 11:19 PM   #865 (permalink)

Hi all! Long time, no post in here for me (or anyone else for that matter). ANYWAY...

I got a donor ECU and today I removed the MCU from the ECU (sorry about the bad pics from my cell phone... anyone want to donate a digital camera for my efforts? KIDDING!):

Also, I found an old sound card that has a nice 84 pin socket on it:

so off it came:

and then, I found an old project board I had used for a voltage regulator circuit:

and that got stripped of all components. Then, I put the socket on the project board:

and added a set of pins to the other side:

and now all I need to do is wire it up. Then, I'll be able to put that in my Willem and read the code in the MCU. YAY!! WOOHOO!!

Once I establish that I have a good read from the MCU, I'm going to build a box with a C decompiler and decompile the code and figure out what it's doing. From there, we should know what each map does and when it does it as well as what other functions/subs/tables/values are located on the PROM. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that the subroutine for MAP sensor signals is located on the PROM and not on the MCU so we can have a boosting solution.

OH yeah... this donor ECU is a 3E ECU. SR5guy is (most likely) going to send me a 28 MCU so I can get the code off of that one, too (as it's different from the 3E). Then we'll be cooking with gas!

So, are SR5guy and myself the only ones doing anything to figure out more about these ECUs, or are others doing things on their own and not posting information? All I have been hearing/reading about is chips being put together and everyone wanting one when we don't even know what everything in the chip does yet. So please, let's keep things in mind, kids: this project is for the benefit of the community, not individuals. If you've been testing out things and have information, POST IT and let everyone know your findings. Otherwise, we as a community won't know squat.

Thanks, and I hope everyone's new year is off to a great start!!

Mike
Old 02-05-07, 12:26 AM   #866 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

Nice work Mike! I've attempted this before and it requires an INCREDIBLE amount of patience! I'm keeping my fingers crossed here that we can get a successful read off of that MCU. If you are successful with yours, I'll send over the 28 MCU. I'm going to start searching for a PROM or UV-PROM MCU.

-Matt

Old 02-05-07, 09:21 AM   #867 (permalink)

Car 1: 92' C35 KA8 5spd
Car 2: 92' Ka8 5spd turbo

Send a message via AIM to swift

You guys are gods!!! you are helping us performance guys in ways we never thought possible!
swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 04:16 AM   #868 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift View Post

You guys are gods!!! you are helping us performance guys in ways we never thought possible!
Ben, are you saying that I'm not a performance guy?? ;-)
Old 03-17-07, 02:14 PM   #869 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

Wow, it's been awhile since anyone has posted in this thread. Mike (mweber88) sent me his MCU reader creation because he was having some trouble reading the 3E MCU. I was able to verify the pin configuration (I guess his eyesight was fine after all) and I popped in my 28 MCU I had and was able to get a good read off of it. I guess the 3E MCU is somehow copy protected because I was unable to read my 3E MCU either.

Attached is the read from the 28 MCU. This opens up the door to de-compiling and figuring out exactly what works where in the ECU - how and when.

-Matt
Attached Files
File Type: zip 28 MCU.zip (21.6 KB, 95 views)

Old 03-26-07, 10:47 PM   #870 (permalink)
AKA Smartjay28

Car 1: JDM KA7
Car 2: w203

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johnny Kim Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny Kim
damn still no go on s27512 chips burning.

althoooooooo...i did swap out the A55 tranny controller from my 93 controller....feeels ALOT better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications